Defensive Carry banner

I Do Not Feel This Is Fair!

4K views 36 replies 22 participants last post by  pax 
#1 ·
I carry an out of state CCW permit from Maine but live in Missouri. Yesterday I notice that my driver license expires in 6 months and my CCW permit expires in 1-1-09 so I thought I go to the sheriff office to apply for a permit of my own state. That way my driver license and my carry permit have the same new address on them. So I took my papperwork and proof of my new resident to the sheriff office. I was told there that my instructor is not an instructor he approves of and handed me a list of instructors he does approve of. Now my instructor was a police officer who taught other police officers. He is a qualified, license instuctor in Missouri. Now how come a sheriff can deny me a permit because he does not approve of my instuctor even though he is a legal instructor. He wants me to take my classes over from one of his approve instructors. That means paying for the class again when I already payed for it the first time. I was stunned when I was told this. It does not seem fair! Has anyone have problems like this in their state?

#32 · (Edited)
Here are the requirements for a Missouri Conceal and Carry Firearms Instructon. They can be found in Section 571.111 para 5, RSMO:

5. A firearms safety instructor shall be considered to be a qualified firearms safety instructor by any sheriff issuing a certificate of qualification for a concealed carry endorsement pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 if the instructor:

(1) Is a valid firearms safety instructor certified by the National Rifle Association holding a rating as a personal protection instructor or pistol marksmanship instructor; or

(2) Submits a photocopy of a certificate from a firearms safety instructor's course offered by a local, state, or federal governmental agency; or

(3) Submits a photocopy of a certificate from a firearms safety instructor course approved by the department of public safety; or

(4) Has successfully completed a firearms safety instructor course given by or under the supervision of any state, county, municipal, or federal law enforcement agency; or

(5) Is a certified police officer firearms safety instructor.

If the Sheriff does not have proof of any of this, he cannot accept a certificate signed by the instruction. I suspect that this may be where the issue for the Sheriff is.

To do, as some have, jump to the conclusion that there must be some official corruption involved is absolutely uncalled for. And if you don't think that has been done be some posters, when you accuse an elected official of taking kick-backs that is accusing them of asceeding to corruption, which in Missouri is a felony.

#35 ·
We live in a world that seems to produce cynicism as an almost automatic response...........

Lots of talk here about a 'racket', kickbacks, etc.

Truth of the matter is probably nothing more than two things:

1.) A Sheriff is an ELECTED official.

2.) The 'good ole boy' system is in place.

The Sheriff is looking out for himself by making sure you taking a class from someone he approves.

The Sheriff is also looking out for himself by keeping the local instructors happy.... not only do they vote, but usually have a following of folks who look up to them because they are instructors. Might be a lot of votes for the Sheriff.

Like others have said, take the course and look at it as refresher training. Who knows.... the local instructor might be very good and you might learn something just because it is a different person presenting the material.

Once again referring to the 'good ole boy' system.... it would behoove you to become a part of the Sheriff's network if you are going to live there. Buy him a cup of coffee some time and get to know him.... while he gets to know you better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.