I Do Not Feel This Is Fair!

This is a discussion on I Do Not Feel This Is Fair! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry an out of state CCW permit from Maine but live in Missouri. Yesterday I notice that my driver license expires in 6 months ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Do Not Feel This Is Fair!

VIP Member

I carry an out of state CCW permit from Maine but live in Missouri. Yesterday I notice that my driver license expires in 6 months and my CCW permit expires in 1-1-09 so I thought I go to the sheriff office to apply for a permit of my own state. That way my driver license and my carry permit have the same new address on them. So I took my papperwork and proof of my new resident to the sheriff office. I was told there that my instructor is not an instructor he approves of and handed me a list of instructors he does approve of. Now my instructor was a police officer who taught other police officers. He is a qualified, license instuctor in Missouri. Now how come a sheriff can deny me a permit because he does not approve of my instuctor even though he is a legal instructor. He wants me to take my classes over from one of his approve instructors. That means paying for the class again when I already payed for it the first time. I was stunned when I was told this. It does not seem fair! Has anyone have problems like this in their state?

Missouri's training requirements must be very specific as to who can teach. In my state of WV, as long as its an NRA certified instructor(your certificate says NRA on it) you can take any course,even firearms safety in the home and use that for your CCW.
    Is this a state requirement or is your county telling you who you must take the course through? Doesn't sound right to me.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

It doesn't sound fair. Likely he's getting kick-backs from his 'approved instructors'. Sounds like a racket to me. Be careful who you contact about this, and I probably wouldn't make a stink until after you get your permit.

Racket:
    1. a loud noise or clamor, esp. of a disturbing or confusing kind; din; uproar: The traffic made a terrible racket in the street below.
    2. social excitement, gaiety, or dissipation.
    3. an organized illegal activity, such as bootlegging or the extortion of money from legitimate business people by threat or violence.
    4. a dishonest scheme, trick, business, activity, etc.: the latest weight-reducing racket.
    5. Usually, the rackets. organized illegal activities: Some say that the revenue from legalized gambling supports the rackets.
    6. Slang.
    a. an occupation, livelihood, or business.
    b. an easy or profitable source of livelihood.
    –verb (used without object)
    7. to make a racket or noise.
    8. to take part in social gaiety or dissipation.

VIP Member
    As I gather its the choice the sheriff can make. He can choose or deny what instructors he likes or dislikes.

As I gather its the coice the sheriff can make.
    But who ultimately issues your state's permit? The state police? The department of revenue? Or the county sheriff's department?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hennessy View Post
    I It does not seem fair! Has anyone have problems like this in their state?
    Can't make a fair judgement without knowing more but from here it smacks of kickback.

Missouri Concealed Carry Gun Permit and Firearms Information Website
    Missouri Concealed Carry Endorsement Training - Principles of Marksmanship - Missouri Right to Carry Law
    Section 571-101 Concealed carry endorsements, applicati

Key words here:
    If the said applicant can show qualification as provided by sections 571.101 to 571.121, the county or city sheriff shall issue a certificate of qualification for a concealed carry endorsement.

VIP Member
    Well that is something I'm not sure of. But you do have to apply at the sheriff office of your county.

Ram Rod I checked the law and it doesn't state he can do this but by talking to others, I'm told its within his rights. He was very polite through this session. He offered for my instructor to fax him his qualifications and his lessons plan. But that would be imposible for me to do since my instuctor took an asignment in Russia to train law enforcement there.

Interesting. I guess I'm just leery of things that just don't sound right from the get go. It's also sad to say---many agencies will in fact attempt to put one over on their constituents--bargaining on them not knowing the true facts. I'm not anti-system really, it's just you hear so much of the illegal activities from public offices so much any more. Knowing the laws and your rights up front will help in your finding the truth.

I think it might be changed now,but I lived in KC from 04-06 and I couldn't buy or sell a pistol without his written permission,that sucked.I'm glad I'm back home in texas now,never more to move.sj

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hennessy View Post
    Ram Rod I checked the law and it doesn't state he can do this but by talking to others, I'm told its within his rights. He was very polite through this session. He offered for my instructor to fax him his qualifications and his lessons plan. But that would be imposible for me to do since my instuctor took an asignment in Russia to train law enforcement there.
    Sounds like you might just have to compromise here if you want your permit. From the Sheriff's side it almost sounds like some type of kick back. But, think of how it sounds to him when you tell him you can't get your instructors qualifications because he took a job in Russia!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I guess I missed the part in my education where they taught me that life was fair. As a matter of fact, my CHL course taught me that life isn't fair...that's why I carry a gun. If everything was fair, I wouldn't need one.

Unless I am misreading your post, it sounds like you took a course in Maine, and want that course to work for a resident license in Missouri? If that is the case, I don't blame the Sheriff for telling you he wants you to take an instate course. The laws vary greatly state by state, and as most courses cover the relative use of force statutes of that state, I can understand where the sheriff is coming from.

We have to take a refresher course everytime we want our permit renewed, and while some might think it's a waste of time/money, I think it's just par for the course. And who knows? Something might have slipped through the legislature without me being aware. Fourtunately with DC.com, that's unlikely, but judging by the number of member's here, and the number of licenses throughout the U.S., it's doubtful that most license holders are as up to date as most of the members on this board.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    That stinks to high Heaven. Advice: Take the course and pay the fees----then get a new sheriff.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Sounds like you might just have to compromise here if you want your permit. From the Sheriff's side it almost sounds like some type of kick back. But, think of how it sounds to him when you tell him you can't get your instructors qualifications because he took a job in Russia!
    I did not tell the sheriff that. I did not have that information untill I went home and tried to search for him. My instructor used to contact me once in awhile to see if I would be interested in some advance courses but I haven't heard from him in years.

Being raised in the south, I’ll tell you I would not buck the system, and take the class from an “approved” instructor.

Besides, additional firearm training is never a bad thing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links