Defensive Carry banner

Charlotte NC road block while carrying...

8K views 34 replies 27 participants last post by  i12flytoday 
#1 ·
So... I'm driving through my Neighborhood in Charlotte, NC and I come across a road block on the main road through the neighborhood. I pulled up the the "Officer" and noticed that she had an arm patch that said "Cadet" and was white instead of the dark blue they normally have. As I pulled up and rolled down my window, she asked for my license and while keeping my license on the steering wheel I said "I am required to inform you that I have a concealed handgun permit and that I am carrying a handgun at this time." She took two steps back from my car (she was unarmed) and requested her supervising officer to come over and yelled "gun" to him. He comes running over with his hand on his pistol, I still had my hands on the steering wheel, and she speaks to him quietly for a quick second. He approaches my vehicle, still having his hand on his gun, and asked me what the problem was. I told him "I have no idea, I simply informed the lady that I had a concealed handgun permit and that I am carrying a handgun at this time." He said, "where is it." I told him where it was and where my license was. He said, let me see your drivers license and your permit. I slowly got my permit and license out of my wallet with one hand and kept both hands in plain site after. He looked at the permit quickly, took his hand off his weapon, relaxed a lot, and said "thank you very much sir, I'm sorry for any trouble."

As I drove off I could see him speaking to the cadet by the side of their squad car. I have no ill feeling at her for it, she was just inexperienced and scared because she didn't know what to do, but I do feel that they should explain the possibility of coming across a situation like this well before they allow the cadets out on the street for any reason.

Anyway, that's my story. I have been pulled over before, and once I was approached by an officer as a witness for a car accident that involved his cruiser, and have never been requested to had over my weapon. Every officer I have had interaction with in Charlotte was VERY professional and polite. I actually witnessed one officer pull over and help a person change a tire once.

See less See more
#3 ·
By law in many if not most states a road block is not lawful unless it falls behind a lawful turn off/turn around (e.g. rotary) prior which IIRC has to be within line of sight to the road block area itself.
It's been like 20 yrs. since I took drivers ed. (MD) but I distinctly recall this from class and have for years been applying as much when I see a road block toward avoidance.

Double check your own state laws in specific though as this may not be applicable to you.

Edit: The course I took was an adjunct to regular in school drivers ed as then provided by the MD DMV and my class was taught by a MD state patrol officer.

- Janq

#10 ·
If that's the case I would think handing the officer the permit would be sufficient announcement that you have one. You could then make a brief statement such as "handgun is on my belt at my 3oclock", all the time keeping your hands on the wheel and visible to the cop. In any case I'd avoid saying or doing things that might make a jumpy cop nervous.

#11 ·
In today's enviroment, we always want to pick our words very carefully. A rookie or a seasoned LEO may be having bad day or maybe a great day...the problem is we don't have any idea which and never want to find out from the wrong end of their weapon or even handcuffs.

#13 ·
I guess I am in the minority here, but I don't really think it is a big deal. The cadet obviously didn't know what to do. Who knows, this may have been her first time on a roadblock, she is already nervous, and now someone tells her he is armed. She didn't yell help, she didn't run away, she simply yelled gun. Everyday is a learning experience. Today she learned something. We were all new at our jobs. We all overreacted at some point in time at work. This roadblock was her time to overreact. Hopefully her supervising officer will talk to her, teach her how to properly react and observe her actions the next time this happens to see if she learned something.

#15 ·
I just recently took my ccw class in north carolina and they do indeed teach u to tell the officer when he aproaches the vehicle that u are a ccw permit holder and are armed before he says anything . Then u follow his instructions . I was told that if this was not done and the leo wanted to be a pita then he could revoke your permit on the spot for not informing him verbally of your permit and your carrying a firearm . Not sure if they would take your gun or not but most likely they would .

#19 ·
That sounds crazy. So the guy goes out, spends tons of money on classes and ridiculous fees to get the permit, only to go out and carry a stolen gun?

In response to the earlier post, I have no idea if the stop was legal or not. It really didn't matter at that point. It was at a 4 way stop if that helps any.

As I stated in the original post, I have no ill feelings towards them for it. I just thought it was an interesting story for others to hear. But to the person that says to only hand them the permit first without saying anything, that isn't advisable in NC.

NCGS 14-415.11 in part states "The person shall carry the permit together with valid identification whenever the person is carrying a concealed handgun, shall disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun when approached or addressed by the officer, and shall display both the permit and the proper identification upon the request of a law enforcement officer."

It would be hard to disclose that you have a permit as an officer "approaches" you if you simply provide the permit. And the part about displaying both your permit and valid identification upon request of a law enforcement officer tends to make one believe that the notification must at a minimum include a verbal declaration. In any case, they make a big deal about it in the class that you tell the officer before anything else happens and that you keep your hands on the steering wheel.

I have never had a problem before, and this wasn't really a problem as the "Officer" dealt with the matter fine, and the "Cadet" learned how to do it properly.

In addition - I'm referring to her as a Cadet simply based on what her arm patch said. She wore the same uniform as a normal officer other than the different arm patch and her not being armed. The patch was white with blue writing and said "Cadet" across the bottom.

I have a feeling they were just doing an ID check. It is legal here for them to set up a block simply to check ID's.

#20 ·
I thinlk the guys lucky he didn't get shot,a rookie yells GUN i'm thinking its been pulled and were at defcon red,As far as where they can setup a roadblock they can set it up anywhere they want,they usually set them up after a turnoff etc. because they figure anybody turns off prior to reaching it has something to hide,and they have another one after you turn off.

#21 ·
WHEW! I really thought your story wasn't going to end well! :gah:

Note to self... Don't say anything, just hand the permit over with the license! :tongue:

#27 ·
I was pulled over once while carrying & i just handed him my D.L. & permit together, let him look & informed him after i was carrying & he didnt seem to care about that at all.
Although i did get a ticket that i swear i didnt deserve :rant: even took it to court twice (informal & formal) hearing's. Now the magistrate didnt even care to listen but the judge @ the 2nd hearing said "iam sorry i actually do believe you but its his word against yours" & that was it, i got a ticket i didnt deserve :rant:
The justice system sucks !! :hand1:
Sorry i kinda hijacked the thread with this story, it just reminded me again & its pisses me off when i think about it....sorry

#28 ·
In Texas, you must inform but there is no verbal requirement.

§ 411.205. DISPLAYING LICENSE; PENALTY. (a) If a
license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license
holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that
the license holder display identification, the license holder shall
display both the license holder's driver's license or
identification certificate issued by the department and the license
holder's handgun license.
A person who fails or refuses to display
the license and identification as required by this subsection is
subject to suspension of the person's license as provided by
Section 411.187.
(b) A person commits an offense if the person fails or
refuses to display the license and identification as required by
Subsection (a) after previously having had the person's license
suspended for a violation of that subsection. An offense under this
subsection is a Class B misdemeanor.

#29 ·
I wonder why the officer only put his hand on his gun as he was running toward you? Are LEOs usually required to see a weapon before they unholster? If not, kudos to him for interpreting the situation correctly -- perhaps he noticed that the cadet wasn't diving for cover even though she had shouted "Gun!"

#32 ·
I realize that some states require you to inform LE that you are a legally armed citizen. I must agree that just handing your CCP along with your DL would be plenty to inform LE with out having to verbalize it. Always answer questions if asked but never volunteer info.

With that said, WHY IN THE WORLD WAS THERE A ROAD BLOCK TO BEGAIN WITH?
where are your papers infidel?

#34 ·
I can't get too upset about anything noted in this exchange. I doubt that they taught the cadet to yell gun in a case like this rather is one where a gun is being pulled. That is why she is a cadet, to learn. I thought i12fly handled it very well except I never heard of having to announce that you had a permit. I just assumed that if I handed him my license and permit at the same time it would be sufficient.

Call me naive or whatever but I don't get too upset at roadblocks either as long as they stop everyone going through rather just those they feel like stopping and hassling. I know that every time I have seen one there are a bunch of people pulled over usually for no license, no insurance or drunk. If ever you are hit head on while stopped as far off the road to the right as you can get only to find that they had no license, no insurance, no property no nothing but a wrecked car and have to spend six months in a wheel chair with no income your attitude about some things change.

#35 ·
I should add that the probable reason for having the road blocks is that the neighborhood association requested more police patrols and more police presence after a few break-ins.

I have no idea why he didn't draw his weapon, but he was an older officer with Sgt stripes so I would assume he was fairly experienced and was picked as a training officer because of this. I do know that there were a couple of officers shot last year and shortly after that the police did get a little overbearing, but it was short lived. They caught the person responsible and it seems to have died down since. I would think that maybe the reason could be that I kept my hands on the steering wheel where he could easily see them.

I agree that the requirement is stupid, and that handing over the permit should suffice. However, we were taught that way in the class I was in, and several issues were presented where the officer did not feel that he was notified soon enough and make a fuss about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.