Charlotte NC road block while carrying...

This is a discussion on Charlotte NC road block while carrying... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So... I'm driving through my Neighborhood in Charlotte, NC and I come across a road block on the main road through the neighborhood. I pulled ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Charlotte NC road block while carrying...

Charlotte NC road block while carrying...

So... I'm driving through my Neighborhood in Charlotte, NC and I come across a road block on the main road through the neighborhood. I pulled up the the "Officer" and noticed that she had an arm patch that said "Cadet" and was white instead of the dark blue they normally have. As I pulled up and rolled down my window, she asked for my license and while keeping my license on the steering wheel I said "I am required to inform you that I have a concealed handgun permit and that I am carrying a handgun at this time." She took two steps back from my car (she was unarmed) and requested her supervising officer to come over and yelled "gun" to him. He comes running over with his hand on his pistol, I still had my hands on the steering wheel, and she speaks to him quietly for a quick second. He approaches my vehicle, still having his hand on his gun, and asked me what the problem was. I told him "I have no idea, I simply informed the lady that I had a concealed handgun permit and that I am carrying a handgun at this time." He said, "where is it." I told him where it was and where my license was. He said, let me see your drivers license and your permit. I slowly got my permit and license out of my wallet with one hand and kept both hands in plain site after. He looked at the permit quickly, took his hand off his weapon, relaxed a lot, and said "thank you very much sir, I'm sorry for any trouble."

As I drove off I could see him speaking to the cadet by the side of their squad car. I have no ill feeling at her for it, she was just inexperienced and scared because she didn't know what to do, but I do feel that they should explain the possibility of coming across a situation like this well before they allow the cadets out on the street for any reason.

Anyway, that's my story. I have been pulled over before, and once I was approached by an officer as a witness for a car accident that involved his cruiser, and have never been requested to had over my weapon. Every officer I have had interaction with in Charlotte was VERY professional and polite. I actually witnessed one officer pull over and help a person change a tire once.

2. Remove Ads

At least this happened to her before she was out on her own. Now she knows.

By law in many if not most states a road block is not lawful unless it falls behind a lawful turn off/turn around (e.g. rotary) prior which IIRC has to be within line of sight to the road block area itself.
    It's been like 20 yrs. since I took drivers ed. (MD) but I distinctly recall this from class and have for years been applying as much when I see a road block toward avoidance.

Double check your own state laws in specific though as this may not be applicable to you.

Edit: The course I took was an adjunct to regular in school drivers ed as then provided by the MD DMV and my class was taught by a MD state patrol officer.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    They allowed a cadet to do a stop???

That's insane.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

She yelled "gun"? Jeeeeeeeez.

Now you understands why NC teaches you to say, "I have a permit . . " rather than "I have a gun and a permit . . "
    Signature? What signature.

They all got to learn..somehow..glad everything turned out good.

I am required to inform you that I have a concealed handgun permit and that I am carrying a handgun at this time."
    I'd avoid making these kinds of speeches when stopped by a cop. I'd just hand the officer my permit along with my DL and registration and truthfully answer any questions he or she might ask about my CCW.

NC requires you to inform the officer that you have a permit and that you are currently armed. In this case the cadet simply panicked. My experience is NC officers in the field are amazingly rational compared to their political management.
    Signature? What signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Greasy Gus View Post
    NC requires you to inform the officer that you have a permit and that you are currently armed. In this case the cadet simply panicked. My experience is NC officers in the field are amazingly rational compared to their political management.
    If that's the case I would think handing the officer the permit would be sufficient announcement that you have one. You could then make a brief statement such as "handgun is on my belt at my 3oclock", all the time keeping your hands on the wheel and visible to the cop. In any case I'd avoid saying or doing things that might make a jumpy cop nervous.

In today's enviroment, we always want to pick our words very carefully. A rookie or a seasoned LEO may be having bad day or maybe a great day...the problem is we don't have any idea which and never want to find out from the wrong end of their weapon or even handcuffs.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

VIP Member
    Thats incredible. They obviously taught this "cadet" to yell "gun". Why wouldn't they educate her on the proper way to deal with ccw permits? If one had drawn down on me at that time, I'd be driving straight from there to the police dept.

I guess I am in the minority here, but I don't really think it is a big deal. The cadet obviously didn't know what to do. Who knows, this may have been her first time on a roadblock, she is already nervous, and now someone tells her he is armed. She didn't yell help, she didn't run away, she simply yelled gun. Everyday is a learning experience. Today she learned something. We were all new at our jobs. We all overreacted at some point in time at work. This roadblock was her time to overreact. Hopefully her supervising officer will talk to her, teach her how to properly react and observe her actions the next time this happens to see if she learned something.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

This is why "the duty to inform" stuff is stupid. The only thing it does is cause leo to go into panic mode for no reason. I'm surprised that they didn't cause you more hassle and take your firearm during the stop.

I just recently took my ccw class in north carolina and they do indeed teach u to tell the officer when he aproaches the vehicle that u are a ccw permit holder and are armed before he says anything . Then u follow his instructions . I was told that if this was not done and the leo wanted to be a pita then he could revoke your permit on the spot for not informing him verbally of your permit and your carrying a firearm . Not sure if they would take your gun or not but most likely they would .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links