Defensive Carry banner

Lessons From New Orleans

1K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Geds 
#1 ·
Just got back from my trip to the big easy. Learned alot while I was there. Concealed Carry is for me and while my wife and everyone that knows me gives me a hard time about carrying a weapon! They Call me paranoid. Well i learned I need to do more Homework on other states and there carry rules before traveling anywhere else. Found myself on numerous occasions having my weapon on me and being in a place that had a sign , but did not see it on entering the establishment. Made me feel very uncomfortable. Needless I kept my cool and went on about my bussiness. Third day into the trip I go the whole day in Down town New Orleans without my XD. Walking five miles with it on was uncomfortable, But the one day I did not have it on my wife and I get approached by two guys and say some stuff that made me reach to my hip for the comfort that was in room 308.
We walked faster and did nt look back, That was more uncomfortable than walking with my EDC 10 miles. Needless to say I think that is a mistake in my thinking that wont happen again. Vacations never turn out like you plan them.

#2 ·
I made one trip to NO about 5 years ago. I was chaperoning a Youth Choir mission trip. I swore if I ever got out of there, I'd never go back. NO isn't a place for a poor ol ******* from SmallTown, Alabama.

#3 ·
Oops...I forgot to tell you that N.O. is a place that requires a great deal of hoofing it. How was the site seeing? Were you able to check out the Audubon Park and Zoo?

#4 ·
:hand36:

Well preachertim, for a while there I thought the Texas basketball coach (Rick Barnes) was gonna have to pack an M-2 for his trip to North Little Rock this week.

#6 ·
Yes preachertim,

cowboytim has made a very good suggestion. I have an xd45 service that I have carried all day, many times in complete comfort. Add two of the 13 round mags and your packing some weight, but with the correct belt/holster combination, it can be done very comfortably. I carry mine in a Brommeland Max Con V woth one of their double mag holsters as well. There are several cusrom holster makers that make great holsters, but some of them have looooonngg wait times. It will be worth your while to do so.

tex45acp

#7 ·
Sightseeing was great and got to see the zoo and also some beatiful plantations away from town. thanks guys i will try to think of comfort and investment with my rig

#8 ·
But the one day I did not have it on my wife and I get approached by two guys and say some stuff that made me reach to my hip for the comfort that was in room 308.

Needless to say I think that is a mistake in my thinking that wont happen again.
Yup. Can't use what you don't got. Glad it only went so far.

#9 ·
I would have a major concern about my weapon not being comfortable to carry for extended periods. Soounds like you may need to experiment on carry location, and carry rig to resolve this problem.

#11 ·
Nawlins ain't no place to be without your equalizer. Cause the thugs and scum is plentiful. I did a bit of rescue there after Katrina, saw the worst come out of a lot of animals. Nawlins ain't changed much in the last 50 years. Probably won't change much in the next 50 either. A haven for criminals and thugs. Best stay on your toes in and around Nawlins. Seen folks get kilt for a dollar there, life is very cheap there.
D

#12 ·
To give you an idea how great those areas are, Acadian ambulance is offering Paramedics a $20,000 sign on bonus for the honor of doing EMS in some of the post-flooded environs around those parts. That is about 4 times what the next best offer is somewhere else...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.