Defensive Carry banner

Do you CCW at the range?

4K views 48 replies 49 participants last post by  JonInNY 
#1 ·
I searched (on keywords "carry, range" & "concealed, range" in topic titles only) and didn't see a thread on this. If there already is one, feel free to delete this and PM me a link :smile:

Do any of you carry a concealed weapon while at the shooting range?

If so, I assume you don't shoot your concealed weapon during that visit to the range?

Is there anything illegal about doing this? I know most ranges have a sign that says something to the effect of "no loaded weapons behind the firing line", but I assume that's a rule, not a law, and probably doesn't apply to a concealed weapon anyway.

On one hand, a firing range is probably the least likely place for a shooting to occur. On the other hand... why not?

Peace,
Pete Zaria.

#2 ·
I rarely use organized ranges. When I'm out in the desert shooting, one of my guns is always loaded in the holster, as is an M4 on the tailgate of the truck. Our open areas here are often highways for illegals, and they're more frequently carrying contraband with them.

#11 ·
I have discovered Table Mesa road, nuff said for those that are familiar with that area :danceban:.

I conceal and Open Carry at Ben Avery, and you can carry downrange as long as the weapon is holstered, as well as on the Skeet/Trap range.

Good grief I do so love AZ :urla9ub:

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

#5 ·
I do often. No rule against it. I never used to worry about it, but a string of gunshop robberies has me making an effort to keep one of my 3 handguns loaded and holsters, even if I'm shooting them all that day.

#20 ·
Same pretty much goes here. I double checked w/range officers last monday about carrying while I practice my target shooting. They've got NP as long as the gun in holstered and NOT handled during cease fires on the line.

#7 ·
I will be soon on club range properties as is required. In the past I've carried my defensive pistol(s) openly OWB on public ranges.

#12 ·
I'm with AZ on going to the desert. The only range I do go to is when I have to add a weapon to my permit and then I do CCW to the range but move it to my range bad when I arrive.

#15 ·
Do I?
You bet your bottom dollar I do!

#18 ·
Our local range has an entry checkpoint - no loaded weapons allowed beyond that point. You can load them after being assigned a shooting position. It also applies to police officers who wish to use the range. Don't think you would have to worry about being unarmed for that short period - the owner and range officers are all armed - open carry.

#19 ·
We have a strange range situation.

The land is owned by the City, but the range is operated by the gun club.

The PD used it as a range before the gun club did.

I have a family membership in the gun club.

The gun club rules are "chamber empty, action open" when not in use.

PD SOP is hot range.

I CCW, and almost always fire my carry gun as well as the others I brought. I just keep a mag full of JHPs handy.

It's an outdoor range, and if the gate's open, any fool could just drive on down in there. Not legally, but when has that ever stopped anyone but the law-abiding?

#24 ·
I always carry either concealed or openly at both of my gun clubs. I've also belonged to 2 other gun clubs previously and none of them have/had a problem with it. One of my prior clubs was inhabited by strictly skeet/trap/bullseye shooters and a number of members told me that they didn't understand why I would ever carry a gun there! <DOH> None of them ever thought that "defensive carry" was necessary anywhere . . . to them the 2A means the ability to hunt or target shoot only. Don't belong there anymore, but quit for other reasons.

#25 ·
I always carry at the gun range. There isn't any rule against it there. You're just not allowed to draw from a holster there. I will also pull out my carry gun and shoot a few through it while I'm there too. I usually just pull a bore snake, if anything, through it before I load it back up and re-holster.

Wht :hand10:

#27 ·
I carry at my range. I practice drawing and firing my carry gun from my IWB holster along with all the other drills I do. My range is very pro CCW and teaches CCW classes. Everyone who works there carries either open or concealed also.

#28 ·
The range is really the only place I open carry. Everyone there has guns, so I don't think anyone will be freaked out by a guy with a pistol that's holstered in the open.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.