Vent on complete Idiot shooting gun off in middle of city

This is a discussion on Vent on complete Idiot shooting gun off in middle of city within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; not defending this guy at all but I have a couple of questions for the OP. 1. Did the guy simply shoot the deer and ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vent on complete Idiot shooting gun off in middle of city

not defending this guy at all but I have a couple of questions for the OP.

1. Did the guy simply shoot the deer and leave or did he take it to his truck like he was going to take it home and eat it.

2. What were the surroundings? Near a big park? Shopping center? Residential Neighborhood?

3. What kind of truck? Old beat up, Needs paint? or New Shiney $30k pickup?

What I'm trying to say is this. Sometimes people hit hard times. If he did it in a dangerous manner absolutely go after him. If it looked like he couldn't afford to put gas in the truck let alone paint it, While illegal, I would look the other way especially if it looks like he's going to take it home to eat. One of my wifes friends family hit hard times for a while and couldn't afford groceries if they wanted to keep their house (adjustable rate mortgage's are a completely different rant for another time), he lives in a rural area and to keep his family fed he took a deer on his way home one night. fed his family for several weeks while he refinanced and could buy groceries.

If it was just a random killing and he did it for fun fry him. What i'm saying is sometimes we don't know the whole story, so make sure you have ALL the facts before we completely condemn the guy.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by FknRa View Post

1. Did the guy simply shoot the deer and leave or did he take it to his truck like he was going to take it home and eat it.

2. What were the surroundings? Near a big park? Shopping center? Residential Neighborhood?

What I'm trying to say is this. Sometimes people hit hard times. If he did it in a dangerous manner absolutely go after him. If it looked like he couldn't afford to put gas in the truck let alone paint it, While illegal, I would look the other way especially if it looks like he's going to take it home to eat. One of my wifes friends family hit hard times for a while and couldn't afford groceries if they wanted to keep their house (adjustable rate mortgage's are a completely different rant for another time), he lives in a rural area and to keep his family fed he took a deer on his way home one night. fed his family for several weeks while he refinanced and could buy groceries.

If it was just a random killing and he did it for fun fry him. What i'm saying is sometimes we don't know the whole story, so make sure you have ALL the facts before we completely condemn the guy.
    Do you even know what you just said?!? This guy broke the law and should be in jail. Are you saying a guy down on his luck can rob a bank and we should all look the other way?? you can't have it both ways, plain and simple. I hope this guy was cought and put in jail. He gives a bad name to the rest of us who follow the law.
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Geds View Post
    ...If it makes the news, be sure to call the staion and explain to them it was a LEGAL ccw holder that called it in.
    You beat me to it.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Distinguished Member
    Look at the bright side, if he gets caught he may very well be eating Bambie stew in jail.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Quote Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
    Do you even know what you just said?!? This guy broke the law and should be in jail. Are you saying a guy down on his luck can rob a bank and we should all look the other way?? you can't have it both ways, plain and simple. I hope this guy was cought and put in jail. He gives a bad name to the rest of us who follow the law.
    There is a difference, a BIG difference, between harvesting food in this manner, and robbing a bank.

If it was in a rural area, and FknRa's criteria was met, I too would be a bit more understanding. With the way the economy is, we are bound to see more of this kind of activity happening.

I am one paycheck from being in the same position. I at least own property in the mountains where this can be accomplished safely, and skirting some vague laws (hunting on personal property).

I do not hunt. I went archery hunting when I was 16, got my deer on the first day (another topic) and have not gone since. I have a low opinion of trophy rifle hunters (the food end is a by-product) and predator hunters that bait and use dogs.

If I need to obtain food because I can not afford to go shopping, then I will do what I have to do. Get the tag, borrow a rifle (no longer have one - pay bills) and get meat for a few months.

Back on topic, I agree, if this was in city limits or in a position where missed shots could have put others in harms way, run him in the grinder. In CO, the DOW takes poaching very seriously and will investigate very thoroughly. Loss of weapons, vehicle used, fines, and possibly jail time, not to mention loss of hunting privileges.

On Edit - This is also just what the "No guns in the National Parks" want to see as well. Falls in my line with my conspiracy theory of these anti groups staging these events.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

We had 30 bison gunned down outside Denver for reasons that are still unknown. http://www.9news.com/rss/article.aspx?storyid=88474

It's a new story, but there's already confusion about the guilty party (the shooters vs. the owner of the bison vs. ??)
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    You beat me to it.

Yeah, but the rest of that post of mine sucked...i was having one of those times when what you are thinking just doesn't come out right, and even an attempt to explain it later just didn't come off right, either. Too much chocolate this weekend, maybe.

At least part of it was good....

I for for one would be courious about the penalty.
    Last edited by JD; March 25th, 2008 at 01:38 PM.
    "We are Texas Rangers sent by the Governor Himself and our jurisdiction is anywhere we happen to be." Agustus McCrae

Got A Problem? The Odds Aganist You? Call The Equalizer 212-555-4200

NRA Member
    S&W M&P .40, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 22

Quote Originally Posted by Geds View Post
    Yeah, but the rest of that post of mine sucked...i was having one of those times when what you are thinking just doesn't come out right, and even an attempt to explain it later just didn't come off right, either. Too much chocolate this weekend, maybe.

At least part of it was good....
    The spoken word is always more effective b/c the listener can pick up on things like tone of voice, pace, inflection and maybe get the general idea of where you are going, while the printed word leaves only the words themselves with Bold, Italics or Underscore. I know that I myself often get too verbose in overexplaining just to avoid reader mis-understandings.

You make one mistake and the entire post can be totally ruined or the reader overlooks something and gets the same results.

Forums can be dangerous that way.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

I saw almost the same thing in Maryland, except it was a dog!
    Four kids were waiting at a light to pull out of a McD's and a dog walked up to the car and the left rear passenger stuck a .22 pistol out and shot the dog twice, then looked at me!!! Nothing more happned thank god because I couldn't carry in Maryland, but I got all the vitals on the 4 and called it in, don't know anything more but, I hope they got in deep do do!!!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Multiple gunshots in "the middle of the city"?

I guess im the only one who finds this hard to believe, esp someone's 1st post.

Buuut, id love to believe it and hear that he got arrested.
    "...trying to get a long gun into play while someone is all over you like a monkey eating a cupcake is not very conducive to good survival techniques." ~Bark'n

Quote Originally Posted by DrLax View Post
    If the deer is in the city it can be dangerous. I've seen the aftermath of a deer jumping through a plate glass store window and back in high school one jumped through the cafeteria window. Both times the police had to come to put them down. What a mess.

Can you imagine if the deer was spooked and went through someone's windshield or took out a baby stroller?
    he should have called animal control then, i dont think too many cars were in danger at 1;30 am.
    i also wanted to know did he take the deer w/him or just leave it?if he just left it he should definitely go to jail.hope he does not have a permit.....pretty strange first post
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Since I'm from Duluth also and I haven't seen any replies from the original poster I'll answer a couple of questions that I can give an answer to.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigearny View Post
    Is there a deer problem in Duluth. Alot of cities have been overrun because of lack of hunting. Not that this idiot is the way to go but bow hunters can be effective. BTW I am moving to Esko next week so maybe see you at the range.
    Yes, the city of Duluth has developed a deer problem over the past several years. The local deer population has skyrocketed recently and since we have a lot of wooded areas within the city the deer have taken up residence in these areas. The problem with deer in the city has gotten bad enough recently that there has been a city bowhunt the last two years during deer season.

Quote Originally Posted by FknRa View Post

Obviously I can't answer #1 or #3 since I wasn't there, but as for #2 I can say that the road that icarry is talking about is a main thoroughfare that runs near our mall and other large shopping areas as well as some residential areas. There is no part of this road I would consider a rural area so I definitely don't think it was wise or safe to be popping off a few rounds at a deer standing by the side of the road.

Hope this helps, I also know a few LEOs here so next time I talk to one of them I'll see if I can get some more info.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."

-- Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    The spoken word is always more effective b/c the listener can pick up on things like tone of voice, pace, inflection and maybe get the general idea of where you are going, while the printed word leaves only the words themselves with Bold, Italics or Underscore. I know that I myself often get too verbose in overexplaining just to avoid reader mis-understandings.

You make one mistake and the entire post can be totally ruined or the reader overlooks something and gets the same results.

Forums can be dangerous that way.

VEEEEEEERRRRRY TRUE.

And, knowing how I post, it WILL happen again.

So everybody be ready.

Thumbs down Throwing The BS Flag

Ok, I was starting to doubt the truthfulness of this post since I hadn't heard anything about this incident on the news or from any of the LEOs that I know. I forwarded the original post from this thread to a few people and a friend of mine who is an officer for Duluth confirmed my doubts.

I didn't hear anything about it, but something like that could be charged as a felony for reckless discharge within a municipality. My guess is that it is not true
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."

-- Robert A. Heinlein

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links