Defensive Carry banner

Tennessee Especially, But Other Comments Welcome--Carry in Restaurants

3K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  spydad 
#1 ·
Well, now that we may be shot down for legal carry in establishments where alcohol is sold for on-premises consumption again this year, I have been looking for some sort of list via the Internet to determine where I am prohibited from going. I have not yet been able to find anything, except this, from the Tennessee Alcoholic Beverage Commission website:

http://www.state.tn.us/abc/New LBD Report 021108.pdf

So, I've composed letters to send to several state officials, specifically the Governor, my state Senator and Representative, the Commissioner of Safety, the Manager of Handgun Carry Permit Issuance, and the Executive Director of the Alcoholic Beverage Commission.

Before I send them off, I'd like to know of any suggestions for improvement any have. Here is the text of the letter to the ABC Executive Director:

Shari Danielle Elks, Executive Director
Tennessee Alcoholic Beverage Commission
226 Capitol Blvd. Suite 300
Nashville, TN 37243-0755

Dear Ms. Elks:

I am writing you in regard to a matter which would prove to be extremely helpful to Handgun Carry Permit holders in Tennessee. As you doubtless are aware, current state law (TCA 39-17-1305) forbids HCP holders from carrying their firearms into those businesses which sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises. Permit holders would find it extremely helpful for a listing of those restaurants (and other establishments) which hold current licenses for “liquor-by-the-drink” in Tennessee to be placed on the state website, either at your website, at the Handgun Carry Permit Issuance website, or at some alternate location. I believe that the publication and maintenance of such a list by the state would greatly assist Handgun Carry Permit holders in preventing an inadvertent violation of state law.

Perhaps such a listing is currently available somewhere on the Tennessee government website. While searching your commission’s website, I did find a “New On-Premise Consumption Licenses” Acrobat document. Does a complete listing of all such current licensees in the state exist? If so, would you please notify me of its location? I have also requested assistance in this matter from Governor Phil Bredesen; Senator Jim Tracy; Representative Kent Coleman; Commissioner Dave Mitchell; and Ms. Lisa Knight, Manager of Handgun Permit Carry Issuance.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Sincerely,

Are there any suggestions for improvement? One side benefit of such a list would be that, once it is there, permit holders could easily let restaurant owners in their area know why they are not spending their dollars at the owners' establishments.

That may prove to be a "conversation-starter" for the restaurant owners with Mr. Naifeh, our esteemed Speaker of the Tennessee House. :image035:

See less See more
#6 ·
I think the letter is good as written, however I doubt the state is going to be willing to foot the expense for compiling and keeping updated a special list. Is there not someplace on the states website that lists establishments with a liquor license? I woould assume that is a matter of public record and would have to be available to the public.

#7 ·
I would think so too, but as yet I haven't been able to find it. :embarassed:

#9 ·
I think the letter is good as it stands. I am on the border with TN/GA. Both states need this information as it is sometimes very difficult to determine before heading off to a restaurant - or if you just want to drop in on one as you are driving by. We pretty much know that he bigger restaurants will serve alcohol, but have been taken by surprise when walking into a small family like restaurant and find the hae a small cooler of beer. Good job on the letter.

#10 ·
Great Letter Falcon 1. Please send it and keep us posted on what, if anything, you find out.

By the way, what did you mean when you said "we may be shot down" for this year. It is my understanding that the jackass Speaker of the TN house shot us down again. I think that is all there is for this year.

#14 ·
By the way, what did you mean when you said "we may be shot down" for this year. It is my understanding that the jackass Speaker of the TN house shot us down again. I think that is all there is for this year.
As I understand it, there is a minute possibility that it could be brought to the floor through a parliamentary motion...but neither the motion nor the bill are likely to pass over the Speaker's opposition.

#11 ·
Personally, I like the Florida laws the best. I think that we should be able to carry anywhere, but at least in FL it's almost everywhere. I mean, as long as I'm not drinking, what does it matter right? Also, the law, like most other gun control laws, is stupid. What's to stop me from carrying in there to begin with, other than I'm law abiding? Once again, the gov just wants to look like they are doing something by making people feel all warm and fuzzy inside thinking "We are in a gun free area, we are safe." LOL Sorry, I have to laugh at that logic.

#12 ·
Good letter, thanks for taking the time to do it.

Yes as TN Mike posted......

Naifeh did it again......:aargh4:

#13 ·
There's only one thing I would add:

"Being a devout law-abiding citizen, like the overwhelming majority of concealed carry permit holders, I simply request this information to ensure my continued compliance with the law."

:danceban:

#16 ·
Positive Result from ABC Commission

Here is the main text of the letter dated 8 May 2008 I received from Ms. Elks, the Executive Director of the Tennessee Alcoholic Beverage Commission:

"I am in receipt of your letter dated May 2, 2008 requesting that those establishments that hold on-premise consumption licenses be placed on the agency's website. I think that is an excellent idea, and have requested the TABC 'computer person' add such a list to the website. All state agency websites are currently being revised; however, the list should be added within a couple of weeks. If you do not find the information on the agency's website after this time, please let me know."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.