For those with a Florida permit - Page 2

For those with a Florida permit

This is a discussion on For those with a Florida permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Tally XD Still, if you are illegally carrying a concealed weapon on your person then you go to jail for a minimum ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For those with a Florida permit

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Still, if you are illegally carrying a concealed weapon on your person
    then you go to jail for a minimum of three years.

XD is right in that we do not take kindly to people who carry concealed without license.

No license? Don't carry a gun in FL! Your visit may last much longer than expected take you to places far worse than the abandoned parts of Miami.

Hey guys,

New to the forum and going to post in the new members section soon.

I just wanted to tell you to stay away from Miami Dade. It's getting really out of hand down there and we have had multiple officers being shot at or shot. I live in the Davie area and it's pretty peaceful and nice over here.

Also if you go to the West Palm area don't go too far west. There is an area there called Bell Glades that most of the officers that come into my local gun shop say is awful and almost "wild-west" like.

Ft. Lauderdale north is really nice and a good clean area. But as with anywhere you live, there are places that you want to avoid. Hope you enjoy our state!

Quote Originally Posted by bluelineman View Post
    When you get your CCW permit, do the electronic fingerprints, much quicker getting your license that way.
    Georgia resident here... I used paper fingerprinting and got my FL license in 6 weeks. Can't get much faster than that. Georgia took 3 months.

FLSquirrelHunter - Good explanations on "Castle Doctrine" or "Stand your ground" or whatever you want to call it. IANAL nor did I sleep at a HI Express last night but I do see too many comments that think that in states that have these laws it gives them a right to shoot pretty much anyone they want to.

One thing that people don't take into account is that the laws are much more specific than what one would think. You may be in the right and eventually found not-guilty in a court of law for shooting someone but that doesn't mean that you can't be arrested or sued. Your actions may fall under the CD but it will be up to you to convince a jury of it and that can get very expensive.

Since you already have allot of advise on CCL in Florida, Ill forgo it, and instead restate what Captain Crunch said by read the law.

And I really like the Fl Squirrel Hunter examples and explanation of the use of Deadly Force for Lawful Self-Defense.

What I will tell you is, I was born and raised, in North Miami and moved away from there for several reasons including:

Cost of living
    Lifestyle
    Cost of housing
    Over population
    Crime rate
    Violent crime rate
    Gang activity and crime

Some have recommended moving further north of Miami, and I highly agree, unless your work is in south Miami area. If so Id look at Key Largo, because Homestead is basically just south Miami.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    if you're cleared and it's a "good shoot" you canot be sued.
    That's part of the beauty of the Castle and Stand laws.

The Brady bunch hates us.
    Ever see the Brady sign on I-75?

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    if you're cleared and it's a "good shoot" you canot be sued.
    That's part of the beauty of the Castle and Stand laws.

The Brady bunch hates us.
    Ever see the Brady sign on I-75?

AFS
    Correct...this is true IN FLORIDA, and I've quoted the statute once or twice here. Didn't feel like repeating myself. If someone else wants to look, its in the use of force statutes.

-JT

Miami Dade is not as bad as everyone thinks. As long as you don't make the stupid trips into the bad neighborhoods (everyone knows which ones they are) you are usually fine. My family has lived in dade for bout 50 years and never had an issue at all.

You could always live outside the city to stay away from bad areas. In my case, I live about 175 miles outside the city, just to be sure.

-JT

Others have well covered the laws and rules. Let me add one and answer one of your qustions that has been skipped by most responders.Being faced with lethal force does not mean only guns, knives, pipes etc. It can also be a "Disparity of Force", meaning that if the attacker can apply lethal force, for example a strapping young thug attacking an elderly person, a handicapped person or a small person, it can be presumed that he could whip your butt bad enough to kill you.

As to whether or not I feel "Comfy" leaving my gun in a locked car, the answer is NO, but at times I have no choice, I lock mine in my center console under the lift out tray. A lockable and secured box would be preferable.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links