Defensive Carry banner

Changing states-then what?

2K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  BkCo1 
#1 ·
What happends if i move from Utah to CA,do I have to sell my guns then? I just figured out that I want to live in Los Angeles when am done school and beeing living in Salt Lake City for some years..

Based on what I read, CA is very difficult state to get a ccw permit..
Do I have to sell my guns or can I get a CCW permit for them when I move to LA?

#2 ·
Los Angeles, eh? It's very tough to get a CHL, there. CHL's are dispensed by the Sheriff of the county. Los Angeles county is a big one, meaning that you'd have a long, long way to commute if you chose to live in a neighboring county, depending on distance. (Be mindful of the term "gridlock" and the fact it simply had to have been coined in southern California by someone viewing the morass of traffic during the rush hour times.)

Other counties are far simpler, including Orange County (just to the south), which would mean you could live in O.C. with a CHL and simply commute into Los Angeles with the other drones (via the freeway congestion).

As with any other state, if you get a CHL in the state then it applies across the whole state. California requires you to get approved by the Sheriff in the county where you reside. It's a might-issue state, subject to the predilections of the Sheriff, including whatever limitations he/she deems fit to add to your permit.

California also has a long, long list of firearms that are verboten.

There are also requirements regarding safe storage, and really punitive ones related to whether minor children gain access.

There's a maximum capacity (10rd magazines).

There are dozens of other little mines in the minefield, too.

As for importing guns you already own ... I don't know. Check with the Sheriff, or perhaps a competent attorney (on California firearms laws).

I would suggest contacting the Sheriff's department in Los Angeles, explaining your situation and asking about your questions.

The Attorney General's web site also has a decent summary (though, as of 2006's laws): click. Read them and know them.

As well, get a copy of this book: How To Own A Gun In California And Stay Out Of Jail, by John Machtinger. It'll help you spot the mines in the minefield you're about to enter. Keep in mind that fouling up on weapons charges can go on your record permanently ... and, worse, deny you your "right" to carry a concealed weapon permanently.

BTW, I carried in California for years, but in a rural county where it was practically shall-issue by virtue of the Sheriff's position regarding citizens being armed for self-defense.

#5 ·
I realize you must have a reason why you want to live in LA, but I myself cannot think of one good one for living there, or anywhere else in California.
That being said be prepared for a massive hassle with your guns. Magazine capacity limits, make and model of gun, assault weapon (whatever that is) ban, and the latest, ammo restrictions. Not to mention gun locks, state approved storage devices and registration.

#6 · (Edited)
Hehe..okay..may I ask why?And what about San Diego or as mentioned Orange County? Is California THAT bad?
My reasons..I remeber many years back when in San Francisco..Fresh Choice and Jack in the Box..I know many of you might be laughing now..and LA to me is what I think about when people start talking about USA..

#7 ·
Hehe..okay..may I ask why? Is California THAT bad?
It's the Golden State, alright. Lots of opportunity. Back in the 1950's, it was the promised land, by all accounts. Droves of people came and never left. That continued until ~30 million of them clogged the arteries, with the remaining ~5M in the rural counties. Now, the daily commute times via freeway sucks, the school system sucks, the attitude of the me-at-your-expense type people sucks, the state government budget is teetering on perpetual bankruptcy, and it's a hard-core nanny state to boot. By some measures, criminals have more rights than you do. Beautiful, yes. Expensive as everything you've heard, but with a host of other stout drawbacks these days.

Lived in California for years, but in a remote, rural corner of the state. If your career can survive a smaller, more-rural county, it can still be a stellar place to be. But, L.A. is what it is. Not everybody likes the balance of pros/cons.

#9 ·
It shouldn't matter what we say about not moving to Kalifornia; however, for the love of god don't. You are a student so that being said you are (most likley) already in some sort of debt, the cost of living in CA is HUUUUGE. The people are uhm, interesting (closed minded sheep for the most part, of corse there are a few cool people, but they arn't the norm) at best. There is a huge 'race war' in LA right now, as in gangs dividing themselves by race and murdering eachother daily. Just too many people man. Try Texas, AZ, Florida, Oregon, Washington State, Colorado, all much better alternatives than CA, especially CO, b/c the cost of living there is relativly low, and has been for a while.

#10 ·
I retired out of Oxnard, CA north of LA. The gun laws are the main reason I moved back to the center of the Universe (Pensacola, FL). CA rights to Self Defense are summed up as Duty to Retreat. There are plenty of other states both Red and Blue that believe in the Right to defense. Only the Far Far left states are anti self defense/Anti Gun.

#11 ·
Your guns will land you into tons of trouble in CA...send them to me...retsupt99...for safe storage durings your stay in the U.S.S.R. of CA...:22a:

#12 ·
Being a former CA reseident myself and ccw holder there, I can tell you it depends on which county you live in as to whether you will be approved for ccw. LA area your chances are not good. I lived in Madera Co. and they are very good at issuing ccw's as most of Madera's surrounding counties. Last I checked you won't have to sell you're guns. IMHO stay out of CA unless you absolutly have to move there. The cost of living is very high there and the gun laws suck big time.
Hope this helps.
Best,
Rhome

#13 ·
ah, im pretty sure we have Fresh Choice and Jack in the Box in just about every state in the union now...:confused:

#16 ·
Hehe,not sure wether to laugh or to laugh right now..You guys crack me up!
So I guess I stay out of Cali..I just dont see my self in Salt Lake City for the rest of my life,but who know..I might like it!Am going to go see at some places next month,can not wait!Not sure if I have the guts to buy while in school but..anyone know anything about the market in Salt Lake City?To be it seems there is cheap rent compared to many other places I have seen..Nice summer but cold winters..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.