az gun law

az gun law

This is a discussion on az gun law within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "If an operator of a public establishment or a sponsor of a public event requests that a person carrying a deadly weapon remove the weapon, ...

Thread: az gun law

az gun law

"If an operator of a public establishment or a sponsor of a public event requests that a person carrying a deadly weapon
    remove the weapon, the operator or sponsor shall provide temporary and secure storage. The storage shall be readily
    accessible on entry into the establishment or event and allow for the immediate retrieval of the weapon on exit from the
    establishment or event." Some agencies and jurisdictions are choosing to not comply with the new laws there
    are no
    penalties for noncompliance.
    am i missing something here? i dont see how there can be no penalty for non-compliance im sure if a ccw holder refuses to comply with a law theres a penalty

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    It's a private property issue I think. I'm not a lawyer tho.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    You read it right. People have been pushing for it to actually have a non-compliance due or fine but the problem of implementation of such systems have a lot of business owners up in arms over it.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jerbur6 View Post
    "If an operator of a public establishment or a sponsor of a public event requests that a person carrying a deadly weapon
    remove the weapon, the operator or sponsor shall provide temporary and secure storage. The storage shall be readily
    accessible on entry into the establishment or event and allow for the immediate retrieval of the weapon on exit from the
    establishment or event." Some agencies and jurisdictions are choosing to not comply with the new laws there
    are no
    penalties for noncompliance.
    am i missing something here? i dont see how there can be no penalty for non-compliance im sure if a ccw holder refuses to comply with a law theres a penalty
    First, it is important to understand exactly what 'public establishment and sponsor of pubic event' means in a legal sense.

1. "Public establishment" means a structure, vehicle or craft that is owned, leased or operated by this state or a political subdivision of this state.
    2. "Public event" means a specifically named or sponsored event of limited duration either conducted by a public entity or conducted by a private entity with a permit or license granted by a public entity. Public event does not include an unsponsored gathering of people in a public place.
    So the the statute you quoted:

If an operator of a public establishment or a sponsor of a public event requests that a person carrying a deadly weapon remove the weapon, the operator or sponsor shall provide temporary and secure storage. The storage shall be readily accessible on entry into the establishment or event and allow for the immediate retrieval of the weapon on exit from the establishment or event.
    So, if an operator asks you to remove the weapon, he shall (read: must) provide storage in accordance with this statute.

He can ask you to remove the weapon but you are required to comply only if he supplies the appropriate storage. If he does not have the statute mandated storage facility you are free to carry.

Of course, being in the right does not protect you from harrassment and arrest. It only means the law is on your side.

Interesting.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by jerbur6 View Post
    establishment or event." Some agencies and jurisdictions are choosing to not comply with the new laws there are no penalties for noncompliance.
    I wasn't aware that there were no penalties for non-compliance, but I do know that the Governor sent all of the State agencies a memo ordering them to either allow state employees and the public (by agency policy) to carry concealed within the building or to provide secure storage. The agency that I worked for chose to provide secure storage lockers, as most others did. Our Deputy Director absolutely had her panties in a bunch that the agency was going to have to allow people to carry a weapon onto the property.

Trying to apply reason and logic to this situation led me to make the biggest mistake of my career....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

That is a good portion of the law. I'm sure that caused some
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Links