First time pulled over with CCW - difference between states?

This is a discussion on First time pulled over with CCW - difference between states? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm originally from Alabama, but I've lived in Tennessee since 1997. When I got my Tennessee CCL two years ago, we were told that if ...

Thread: First time pulled over with CCW - difference between states?

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

First time pulled over with CCW - difference between states?

I'm originally from Alabama, but I've lived in Tennessee since 1997. When I got my Tennessee CCL two years ago, we were told that if we were pulled over by an LEO for any reason and he asked for the driver's license and we're carrying, always show the officer the CCL as well.

I took my sons down to visit my parents for Easter weekend. We were coming back from somewhere and the Alabama Highway Patrol had a roadblock set up checking drivers' licenses. I handed him my license and CCL together and said, "I'm also supposed to show you this." He said, "Okay. Why's that?" I replied, "I was told to always show this to the officer if stopped." He said, "Oh, okay. Nah, only if we ask for it."

So... is there a difference between states as to the proper protocol? Personally, I feel better presenting it in the first place since a license check will probably show me as a CCL holder, anyway.

What were you taught on this and what are your thoughts?
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

2. Remove Ads

There is a difference between the states as to whether or not you're required to inform a LEO or not. In FL, it isn't REQUIRED that you do, but by all accounts I've seen, it's RECOMMENDED.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    I'm originally from Alabama, but I've lived in Tennessee since 1997. When I got my Tennessee CCL two years ago, we were told that if we were pulled over by an LEO for any reason and he asked for the driver's license and we're carrying, always show the officer the CCL as well.

I took my sons down to visit my parents for Easter weekend. We were coming back from somewhere and the Alabama Highway Patrol had a roadblock set up checking drivers' licenses. I handed him my license and CCL together and said, "I'm also supposed to show you this." He said, "Okay. Why's that?" I replied, "I was told to always show this to the officer if stopped." He said, "Oh, okay. Nah, only if we ask for it."

So... is there a difference between states as to the proper protocol? Personally, I feel better presenting it in the first place since a license check will probably show me as a CCL holder, anyway.

What were you taught on this and what are your thoughts?
    Just curious ....... did he ask you if you were carrying?

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

well if I was a LEO i'd certainly want to know if someone was carrying or allowed to carry. If they told me up front before i ran their license and saw it I'd be much happier...

I guess I don't understand that mentality.

If I were a LEO, I would assume that people could be armed until I know otherwise. If someone lets me know that they're armed, that indicates to me that the threat level has gone down. If they were going to resist with a weapon, they wouldn't have told me about it. If it comes up on the screen after running tags, and they didn't tell me before hand, it makes me more likely to believe that they're carrying, but I don't know if I would be any more worried than before.

Then again, I'm not an officer. I'd like to hear other people's thoughts.

VIP Member
    It's just the difference between states...in Texas we are required to show our CHL, when asked for ID. As a former LEO, I can tell you, it's probably better to show them your CHL and inform them up front. I know you'll hear from a lot of folks here, that they won't show their CHL if not required, but I would.

A little courtesy goes a long way with most LEO's.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FastDraw View Post
    Just curious ....... did he ask you if you were carrying?
    Nope. As a side note..... we heard on the news later that someone had shot at an LEO (Deputy, I *think*) around the Pickens/Tuscaloosa County line and I strongly suspect that that's what it was really about as opposed to a routine license check.

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    I agree. I've only had one LEO get abrasive with me in my entire life and that individual would have been abrasive no matter what.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    I absolutely agree. They are folks doing a tough job. I will add that a retired military license plate doesn't hurt either
    Dave

When I went thru last year I was told to tell them I was carrying. I just see it as a better to let them know then not and have them be in a foul mood.
    SAPPERS BREACH BUTT NAKED

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting hunting is not supporting the 2nd Amendment !

Obviously, different states have different laws concerning informing the officer. And some police agencies may recommend you inform even if you are not legally required to do so. I am not required to inform in Colorado, but the Sheriff that issued my CCL recommended I inform his deputies in the event I am pulled over.

When I take road trips, I go to Handgunlaw.us to check out the laws and reciprocity of the states I will be traveling through. Click on the US Off-Limits links on the left side of the page. That will give you a pretty good summary of each of the states you will be in including states that require you to inform LEO.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I'll be the quasi-dissident, at least so far.

If the law requires you to inform, ALWAYS inform.

If the law does NOT require you to inform, I would recommend taking other things into consideration in your decision:

- Is it a gun-friendly state, where guns are accepted as OK for normal people to own/carry. If so, by all means inform.

- If it is a state that a license/registration check will inform the officer, by all means, inform.

- If it is a gun-UNfriendly area, and not required, I would recommend NOT informing unless asked to exit the car (in which case you'd be under arrest anyway in most states . . . in the Northeast anyway), then do so immediately.

My reasons are as follows and are based on discussing firearms with many officers from many jurisdictions, having been a part-time PO for 17 years, and being heavily involved with the pro-gun rights movement here.

- Many officers up here aren't even aware that it is legal to carry a gun with a permit, even if you aren't an LEO. One Boston PO told a person he stopped that his LTC was INVALID in Boston since it wasn't issued there! DOH!! The permits are issued (per state law) by the chief in the town you live in and are valid (again per state law) across the state.

- I know of at least one case where a PO (small town) arrested someone for possession of a BB/pellet gun w/o an LTC! NO state law requires a license to possess a BB/pellet gun. Meanwhile MGLs do NOT allow for expungement of ANY ARREST, even if mistaken identity . . . it WILL haunt you the rest of your life and will be the cause of people refusing you jobs/permits/etc. . . . and you have no ability to do anything about it.

- Officers in places like Boston, Brockton, Springfield seem to only run into gang bangers with guns, so if you inform (when you didn't need to), fully expect to be eating some pavement in a felony stop as your reward.

- I know that in NH and MA, you are not required to inform, your CCW info will NOT come up on a license/registration query either.

Just pointing out that "mileage varies greatly" depending on where you are in the US.

I always hand them my CHL on top, my military ID under that, and my D.L. under that...they hardly ever get to the D.L. before they tell me to have a nice day and slow down/turn stereo down/use blinker or whatever. YMMV
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

TN is NOT a "must inform" state. I do not, never have, and never had one ask or had a problem.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

HKR
    Al and Ga leave it up to you whether to inform or not.

Different states, different laws.
    Ohio here. We are required to notify but only if we are carrying.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Links