University of Knoxville with a gun.

This is a discussion on University of Knoxville with a gun. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is mainly for the TN guys and gals but any info would be nice. Situation I am driving to go visit a friend in ...

This is mainly for the TN guys and gals but any info would be nice.

Situation

I am driving to go visit a friend in Knoxville. I am running Kingston Pike all the way up and it turns into Cumberland Ave (which runs thru the college campus). It the goes to a 4 way and I am going right away from the campus to my friends house. If I get pulled over on Cumberland Ave and give both my License and inform the officer that I am carrying a weapon (Your required by law to tell the officer). What do you think would be the typical end of the situation. Now keep in mind I am not enrolled in that college or anyother for that fact.
    What do you see the out come as.

BTW Yes I can take an alternate route to get to his house but it is going thru some bad neighborhoods and it takes about 10-15 min longer
    SAPPERS BREACH BUTT NAKED

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting hunting is not supporting the 2nd Amendment !

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    That's an interesting scenario. It's sort of like the "no carry on school property" thing, but you can legally have it in your car. I guess I always thought of the streets as strictly being public, even if they run through a campus.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

I included a little map off of Map Quest. The map seems to be wrong because there are campus building on both sides of the road and there is also housing and dorms behing each side of the road. The red area is the only part I am wondering about. I have no reason to go on the other roads except to hit up Wendys or Krystals that are on the main Rd.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Magilla82ABN; March 24th, 2008 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Add more info

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

VIP Member
    IANAL, but this would appear to cover it:

Tennessee Code Annotated 39-17-1309. Carrying weapons on school property. —

(c) (1) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any firearm, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution. It is not an offense under this subsection (c) for a nonstudent adult to possess a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by the adult, or by any other person acting with the expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property. [emphasis added]

(2) A violation of this subsection (c) is a Class B misdemeanor.

And, should you actually be required to defend yourself while there:

Tennessee Code Annotated 39-17-1322. Defenses. —

A person shall not be charged with or convicted of a violation under this part if the person possessed, displayed or employed a handgun in justifiable self-defense or in justifiable defense of another during the commission of a crime in which that person or the other person defended was a victim. [emphasis added]

[Acts 1994, ch. 943, 1.]

Link to Tennessee Code Annotated:
    Legal Resources

Click on the link, then find Title 39, then Chapter 17, then Part 13 for weapons information.

Good luck!

Thanks Falcon

I lived in Knoxville for a year, and my wife was a professor at UT. My understanding is that Kingston Pike / Cumberland Ave are not university property. They are public streets like any other. So long as you don't actually get drive &/or walk onto actual university property, you should be under the same laws as if you were on any other street in TN. Just stay off campus and you should be fine.

Having said that, I didn't have a permit when I was in Knoxville so I haven't taken a real close look at this exact situation. I think you'd be fine, and I'd act this way myself if I were to go back to visit friends, but saying "dang.45 said it was OK" will obviously not get you very far in court if it turns out I'm wrong...

Enjoy your trip to Knoxville - I miss it!
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

In SC the law states that on a road that is open to public traffic 24 hrs a day it is permissible. This is for the exact situations that you describe. I would think that somewhere in TN law a similar situation would apply but who knows.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Magilla82ABN View Post
    ... inform the officer that I am carrying a weapon (Your required by law to tell the officer).
    Tennessee law does not require notification.

As mentioned before, being a non-student allows you to keep your weapon in your vehicle on campus so long as it isn't handled.

I go to one of the smaller UT campuses and drive well out of the way in order to park on a private lot adjacent to campus each day so that I don't violate the rule.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Grad of UT here and resident for 51 years. Believe me, you will have no problem with legal CCW on public roads around the campus. When you get onto private drives and parking lots of UT buildings then, things change.

Kingston Pike / Cumberland Avenue is NOT University property, it is US Highway 70. School property restrictions do not apply on the street and most businesses. Just note that most food establishments above fast food level serve alcohol and the book store IS University property.

I would say you are just fine. The strip isn't UT property anyways, but even if it was the responses before seem to suggest it wouldn't matter even if it was part of the campus. However, the response from the officers could depend on whether it is the Knoxville Police Department of The University of Tennessee Police Department that pulls you over. If your friend lives in the fort, be aware that you could accidentally end up in a parking lot for the law school or one of the university owned apartment buildings up there. Last of all, V-O-L-S GO VOLS GO!

Links