Give Me Your Thoughts

This is a discussion on Give Me Your Thoughts within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In texas we have to show chl with license when carrying,I don't think my license will show up on a routine traffic stop in another ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 39

Thread: Give Me Your Thoughts

  1. #16
    VIP Member Array dukalmighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    15,177
    In texas we have to show chl with license when carrying,I don't think my license will show up on a routine traffic stop in another state.If you're not carrying and you're chl or cwp or whatever comes up I don't think the officer is gonna go "Barney" on ya,Criminals don't usually have concealed handgun permits,I might tell the officer first "I AM NOT ARMED"but i did sleep at a holiday inn express last night

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    11,574
    The way the question is framed, I don't understand it.

    If you are not carrying, why on earth say that you have a permit from another state? What do you hope to gain? In states that require you to tell if you are carrying, that is a different thing. E.g., in Texas you only must tell that you have a permit if you are armed.

    Are there any states that require you to tell that you have a permit even when you aren't carrying? I sort of doubt it. If so, I'm sure someone will speak up.
    And if you aren't in your issuing state, why do you think anything will show up when they, "run your license?" And if it does, so what?


    Whatever you do, do not think that you can carry with a permit that might not be valid in a particular state and get away with it by "being up front."

    When my kid was in law school he told me they studied a case where a NY cop was arrested for carrying in NJ. Went to SC, and cop lost.

    If you are not specifically permitted to carry in a specific state, and that state doesn't have reciprocity with the state that issued your license, do not carry. And if you are not carrying, do not bring the subject up. All you can possibly do by bringing it up is create a problem.

  4. #18
    Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    809
    If you are not carrying, there is no need to show your permit. Personally, I think you are better off not showing it. If you are in an unfriedly place, they will assume you are carrying because you showed it and probably will act accordingly to an illegal gun carrier. If you don't show it and it pops up on a check, they will ask and then all you have to do is say your not carrying. You didn't do anything wrong so no harm done. Just my reasoning!

  5. #19
    VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,133
    Look guys the op mentioned in is original post that he is now working as a corperate pilot , he flys all over at a moments notice and so he does not carry . He asked if surrendering the home state ccw along with his recognised id was a good idea ( having no guns and just as a rule of thumb on every contact ) My vote was Yes its great , as long as you say " i am on a flight and have no firearms " at the same time . The worst case is that your vehicle will be " dog searched" a delay but nor harm no fowl . the best case ( and honestly most likely ) is that after a few questions the pilot will go on his way . Sorry folk but if the stoppng officer can articulate" reasonable suspition " you will be there a while and while we recognise some agencys are more " prow ccw " than others honesty in this case is the best option . He has no idea of every state he drives off airport grounds and the rules there of . handing the ccw licence if nothing else prohibits the chance of you had it and did not inform us of same charge thro interstate compact . I have a ccw to an officer is lamost never the wrong choice no matter where you live.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

    Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

  6. #20
    Member Array i12flytoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4 View Post
    Again, no point in showing a permit if you're not carrying. In some states it's required to announce that you are carrying.

    And, if the LEO does run your license and learn that you have a permit in your home state, or elsewhere, that's no big deal and is irrelevant if you are not armed.
    I agree. In NC, you must declare it, but ONLY if you are carrying. If you are not carrying, you are in the clear. Some instructors recommend declaring that you aren't carrying if you have a permit because the officer will find out you have a permit anyway and wonder if you are carrying and didn't tell him. But i have never heard of a REQUIREMENT to declare even if you aren't carrying.

    Is there anybody out there that lives in a state that requires declaration when not carrying?

  7. #21
    Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    1,644
    really seems there is a lot of confusion here:

    I don't see why you would need to show your permit and tell an officer that you are not carrying. It is likely that the officer will be just as confused as all of us. I don't think LEO's like to be confused- especially about the presence of guns. Just be normal if you get stopped. If the officer asks about your carry license, tell them you have it, but are not carrying at the moment... a pilot and don't carry while traveling.


    on a lighter note: Maybe, one day, it will be illegal to have your license and not carry a gun! Imagine that... "Sir, I am giving you a ticket because you left your gun at home"!
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

  8. #22
    VIP Member Array JimmyC4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesnowta
    Posts
    2,036
    Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    Hmm. My guess is that the laws about presenting permits and/or declaring even if you are _not_ carrying apply to permit holders *of that state*. I doubt anyone would bust your chops if you had a permit in *another state* AND you were _not_ carrying.



    IIRC, there are one or two states that require you provide your permit even if you are not carrying.

    -john
    I'd be interested in which states those would be, since I've carried in over 20 states and never ran into such a provision. Help us out with more info, specifically what states?

    Hopefully you can't be cited for being over the age of 21 and not having alcohol on your breath when pulled over....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it outĒ Ė Clint Smith

  9. #23
    Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canton, OH
    Posts
    899
    Quote Originally Posted by waketurb007 View Post
    The basis for my question centers around opinions on what would be the reaction of a LEO in a state that either does not honor my permit or does not allow CCW if my permit is presented because I don't have a clue if I am required to do so.
    Situation: I'm stopped by LE. Stress level extremely high. Capable of reviewing and analysing alternatives in the moments while officer approaches. Unlikely.

    Best to have a plan: From my carry map I know if the state I am in permits me to carry. If I am in a state that honors my permits (Ohio and New Hampshire) then I am carrying. Otherwise the weapon is in a travel safe in the trunk or the back of the SUV. In both cases I will inform the officer of my permit status and my carry status. Why? There is continuing effort to link states drivers license information across states. Don't want to remember if the state I am in has access to my states info. Just like my gun training, I want as few procedures to cover the most circumstances, especially under stress.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

  10. #24
    Member Array waketurb007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Look guys the op mentioned in is original post that he is now working as a corperate pilot , he flys all over at a moments notice and so he does not carry
    Thanks that someone gets it!!!!!!!

  11. #25
    PM
    PM is offline
    Senior Member Array PM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    650
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard1500 View Post
    If you are not carrying, I see no reason to inform the officer that you have a permit.....jmho.....
    Wizard is correct. No Gun; no reason to even mention you have a permit.

  12. #26
    Member Array waketurb007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    Don't want to remember if the state I am in has access to my states info. Just like my gun training, I want as few procedures to cover the most circumstances, especially under stress.
    This is my point!

  13. #27
    VIP Member Array stormbringerr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    2,207
    Quote Originally Posted by PM View Post
    Wizard is correct. No Gun; no reason to even mention you have a permit.
    it will still show up on your license weather you have your gun w/you or not and the leo will see it.i agree w/the OP to declare
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.Ē
    ― Thomas Paine

  14. #28
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    19,661
    Jeese...guys, you are making mountains out of mole hills.

    Always offer your permit status, it will never hurt you, 99.9% of the time its going to help you.

    Also, offer up that your a pilot... it will explain a lot to the officer as to why your in a rental (or a car thats not yours) in a strange city etc. Plus pilots and cops tend to be cut from the same cloth. If you have been a pilot long, you should know what I'm talking about there.
    "Just blame Sixto"

  15. #29
    Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canton, OH
    Posts
    899
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Also, offer up that your a pilot... it will explain a lot to the officer as to why your in a rental (or a car thats not yours) in a strange city etc. Plus pilots and cops tend to be cut from the same cloth. If you have been a pilot long, you should know what I'm talking about there.
    If that goes for private pilots as well, I'm going to put my pilots license right behind my concealed carry license, even though I haven't been pilot-in-command for quite a few years.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

  16. #30
    VIP Member Array tns0038's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,129
    The best I can advise you, is RESPCT will get you along way, and obey the law, and you will never have a problem. No officer wants to give you a hard time, and unless you give them a reason, they wonít.

    I guess it comes from back with I use to work for the Feds, but I always carry a pistol, and I never advise an officer Iím armed unless asked. And thatís regardless where I am.

    But, I guess that since Iím now carrying by authority of a CCL, I should change my thinking, but old habits die hard.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Don't give them what they want...give them lead back!
    By packinnova in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 4th, 2009, 06:59 PM
  2. The "What IF" thread- Please give your thoughts.
    By nosights in forum Carry & Defensive Scenarios
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: April 25th, 2009, 09:29 AM
  3. Look at this and give thoughts
    By inman in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 27th, 2008, 06:28 PM
  4. OK I give up...
    By Sheldon J in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: June 21st, 2008, 12:03 PM