Give Me Your Thoughts

This is a discussion on Give Me Your Thoughts within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; here is what it says about being pulled over in Texas... Texas Department of Public Safety - Courtesy, Service, Protection...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Give Me Your Thoughts

here is what it says about being pulled over in Texas...

Texas Department of Public Safety - Courtesy, Service, Protection
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    If you are in an unfriedly place, they will assume you are carrying because you showed it and probably will act accordingly to an illegal gun carrier. If you don't show it and it pops up on a check, they will ask and then all you have to do is say your not carrying. You didn't do anything wrong so no harm done. Just my reasoning!
    Bingo! Show an out-of-state CCW/License to Carry to a Boston PO and you are in for a felony stop experience!! Merely giving them the license and then claiming you have no gun will most likely (with many Boston/Brockton/Springfield/etc. LEOs) make them suspicious about the honesty of your second answer. Since MA does not recognize any other state's license, it is a 5-10 year felony to be in possession of any gun/ammo (very narrow exemption for attending a match/gun show). These places are about as anti-gun as they come and essentially never see good guys with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    it will still show up on your license weather you have your gun w/you or not and the leo will see it.i agree w/the OP to declare
    You are making an assumption here. As stated in another thread, not all states tie CCW and DLs. MA and NH do NOT and the officers will never know if you do or don't have a CCW on a traffic stop.

Quote Originally Posted by waketurb007 View Post
    Being professional......I don't know if my CCW permit info will or will not come up when my DL is run. I am in WV today. Tomorrow I am going to IL, MI, NY, LA, Washington, DC...........this could change in the next 10 minutes (even inflight). How do I know what info is pulled up when my DL is run? Just trying to be upfront.

The old saying you catch more flies with honey comes to mind. The basis for my question centers around opinions on what would be the reaction of a LEO in a state that either does not honor my permit or does not allow CCW if my permit is presented because I don't have a clue if I am required to do so.
    You need to print out the info on any state that might require disclose even when NOT carrying. Likely to be either non-existent or a very short list. Anywhere else, if not carrying, my vote is for don't tell unless asked directly (extremely unlikely).

In gun UNfriendly places, offering that info is not likely to get you a very pleasant response.

Just another person's opinion (having served as a PT PO for 17 years).

that doesn't matter to me. honesty is my way and it would show up on my license.i think you would be a lot more likely to be searched by a Boston p.o. if you dont show it and he finds out later.
    i also believe what redneckrepairs says about states that hardly have any carry, that the LEO would be impressed w/the fact you have a permit rather than unfriendly about it.
    it makes sense and this is far more likely to happen in the realm of human psychology.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

i think you would be a lot more likely to be searched by a Boston p.o. if you dont show it and he finds out later.
    I think you are missing my point.

The ONLY way a Boston PO will find out is if he arrests you! In MA, they keep you in your car on a MV stop, only time they ask you to step out is when you are about to be arrested.

So if you are carrying CONCEALED (and MGLs prohibit glove box carry), he isn't going to find out, plain and simple. He also won't be impressed if he does find out even if you tell him/hand him your license.

One early Sunday morning back in the early 1980s I was stopped for speeding by a Boston PO on the highway. I was CCW'g and was wearing a jacket and tie, on my way to a police assn meeting. He was particularly nasty, obviously not in a good mood at all. I offered no info, only answered his questions in a polite manner and was let off with a verbal warning. I am convinced that I'd have been eating pavement if I told him I was carrying. He wouldn't even have cared that I had a badge either.

If I were in TX like you, I would have no problem telling. The NE mentality is just very different (that's why "one answer does not fit all situations") and it isn't being "dishonest" if you don't OFFER info. If I'm asked a direct question, I will give a direct answer, but nothing compels me to answer the UNASKED question (since the law does not require it).

thanks lens, im glad i dont have any plans to ever visit Boston i hope the majority of them are not angry all the time. maybe he was having a very bad day. we all have those. .
    i believe most LEOs in Texas are pro CHL as they understand that we are on their side, so to speak. and i agree one answer does not fit all situations. that only happens in physics.

― Thomas Paine

i think im missing something here. if i am stopped in TX. i know my CHL will show up when my license is run.
    if i am stopped in,say mass. and they run my lic. wont it connect w/the DPS computers and also show that i have a CHL on my TX. license?

― Thomas Paine

I don't know what an out-of-state DL check will show . . . last time I worked in a cruiser we didn't have MDTs (I left the department in 1996).

But since MA doesn't recognize ANY other state's CHL/CCW/LTC, it wouldn't be relevant to the officer making the stop anyway. He wouldn't think that you were carrying unless he suspected that you were a perp by your demeanor.

Wrt the Boston PO that stopped me, he was a motorcycle cop in a cruiser . . . that might have been why he was angry?

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I've been stopped in Maryland before going down to my parents house. I feel no need to show the LEO my out of state CCL considering 1. MD doesn't honor it anyway and 2. I'm not carrying

? if you are in a state that you are not carrying a weapon in regardless of what the local laws/state laws are you can not be forced to inform them of your out of state permit, the law in that state may be that you are required to inform regarding thier own instate permit. IT CAN NOT STATE OUT OF STATE CHL have to inform if they are not carrying. To do so would require a federal law. Again the OP stated he was not carrying, so why risk the hassle, KNOW YOUR UNFRIENDLY STATES,, IE FROM WHAT I READ Boston/Mass, I would not reveal nothing to the police if they pulled me over, DONT ASK DONT TELL. Of course I hang out in the south, where johny law respects CHL 80% of the time, I am not suggesting hiding anything.

If you were pulled over anywhere, and you were not driving under the influence of drugs or booze would you tell the officer you got drunk 3 days ago? No why not? because it would not have any relevance to the situation, neither does informing an officer in another state about your right to carry in your own state/others that allow you to carry.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links