Give Me Your Thoughts

This is a discussion on Give Me Your Thoughts within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sitting in my hotel room with nothing better to do when I had a "thought".................. I am a pilot for a large jet charter company. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Give Me Your Thoughts

Give Me Your Thoughts

Sitting in my hotel room with nothing better to do when I had a "thought"..................

I am a pilot for a large jet charter company. My travels take me all over the United States. Of course I DO NOT carry while at work. It is impossible for me to keep up with the rules of the various states on informing a LEO of my CCW. Also I have not committed to memory those states where my permit is honored. So my plan is if ever stopped I will present my CCW along with my DL regardless of the requirement to do so.

That having been said, lets say for the sake of discussion that I am in a gun unfriendly state or a state that does not honor my permit. Is my plan flawed? Am I going to open a big can of worms?

I would think saying "look officer, I don't know if my state permit is honored here or if I am even required to present this to you in (insert state name here) but here it is and I am not carrying a weapon" would not be a bad thing.

My main concern is not informing the officer that I am a permit holder and having it show up when my DL is run.

What do you think?

2. Remove Ads

If you are not carrying, I see no reason to inform the officer that you have a permit.....jmho.....

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard1500 View Post
    If you are not carrying, I see no reason to inform the officer that you have a permit.....jmho.....
    They will find out you have a permit when they run your license...If i was a LEO I'd much rather find out when standing next to you watching you than walking back up to your car wondering if you're armed...

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    I carry the following two items with me when I travel.

Traveler's Guide to the Firarm Laws of the Fifty States
    Gunlaws for the 50 States

Interactive License Maps
    Handgunlaw.us : CCW Map
    or Interactive Permit Maps - USA Carry - Concealed Firearm Information and Resources

It's not only handy to know, but you may need to educate some LE. Also helpful in proving due diligence in case of dispute.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

I guess my opinion stems from Florida being a "don't have to tell" state....then again, I very rarely travel out of state....so, my opinion may be wrong.....:)

Again, no point in showing a permit if you're not carrying. In some states it's required to announce that you are carrying.

And, if the LEO does run your license and learn that you have a permit in your home state, or elsewhere, that's no big deal and is irrelevant if you are not armed.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Hmm. My guess is that the laws about presenting permits and/or declaring even if you are _not_ carrying apply to permit holders *of that state*. I doubt anyone would bust your chops if you had a permit in *another state* AND you were _not_ carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4 View Post
    Again, no point in showing a permit if you're not carrying. In some states it's required to announce that you are carrying.
    IIRC, there are one or two states that require you provide your permit even if you are not carrying.

-john

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    So my plan is if ever stopped I will present my CCW along with my DL regardless of the requirement to do so.
    Imho great plan , as long as you state that you are not armed at the same time . Now understand that in say jersey you may be detained while they search your vehicle , depending on the officer . However in my experience most officers will see the permit , hear the statement , ask a few questions ( to show they are alert ) and then pretty much figure that whatever you did for a contact is an abberation , after all some state has stated you can carry a gun , and imho the more restrictive the state your stopped in the more " awe " a ccw from any state carrys . Way back when Denver hosted an international police conference .. I was sentenced to it and in fact became the " local " for both the itallian fedreal police , and about half of the jersey state police . In the course of our bar hopp.... erm .. curtureal exchange the itallians really got to like our attitudes , the jsp officers were batcrap on it . Point is that when the jersey cops met a ccw they were somewhat in awe about how important a person this might be to have such a permit , even more than the itallians who just kinda assumed we carried guns to fight off the Indians . Heck i was a good host tho i got with a bud out at rocky flats and we went and shot the fun stuff lol you really should see an Italian jersey officer and a true Italian fighting over maw duce on top of the apc at the range lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

i don't understand what you're asking... if you're not carrying, why would you show the officer your CCW permit?

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard1500 View Post
    I guess my opinion stems from Florida being a "don't have to tell" state....then again, I very rarely travel out of state....so, my opinion may be wrong.....:)
    Opinions...everyone's got em!

So your opinion isn't wrong, its just that -- your opinion!
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; March 25th, 2008 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Deleted a language workaround.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellman View Post
    They will find out you have a permit when they run your license...If i was a LEO I'd much rather find out when standing next to you watching you than walking back up to your car wondering if you're armed...
    Not all states have a CCW tied to a drivers license. Here in Georgia you can get a speeding ticket and the officer will not know you have a CCW. If I'm carrying, I do inform the officer out of courtesy and have had no problems to date. This includes Florida and Alabama (no problems after informing that is).

Quote Originally Posted by TheSamurai View Post
    i don't understand what you're asking... if you're not carrying, why would you show the officer your CCW permit?
    Being professional......I don't know if my CCW permit info will or will not come up when my DL is run. I am in WV today. Tomorrow I am going to IL, MI, NY, LA, Washington, DC...........this could change in the next 10 minutes (even inflight). How do I know what info is pulled up when my DL is run? Just trying to be upfront.

The old saying you catch more flies with honey comes to mind. The basis for my question centers around opinions on what would be the reaction of a LEO in a state that either does not honor my permit or does not allow CCW if my permit is presented because I don't have a clue if I am required to do so.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    The basis for my question centers around why would be the reaction of a LEO in a state that either does not honor my permit or does not allow CCW if my permit is presented?
    Again i request you remember that Officers are human , and you will get a roll of the dice up to and including that officers personal opinion . I however still think its a smart and most likely benificial thing to do all things considered .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I don't know... I would say that "I have a ccw permit in my home state and I'm not sure of the requirements for informing you in this state. I do not have any weapons with me today but I just wanted to inform you."

Sure you may get an officer who will bust your chops and giggle for informing him of something you don't have to, but it will cover your butt in the very few states that require you to inform them of your ccw permit whether you have a gun on you or not.

IIRC there are one or two states which require that.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Learn something new everyday, I was not aware of ANY state that required you inform LEO that you are not carrying.

Does anyone know which states require that you inform even when not carrying?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links