Thought I was "made" today...

This is a discussion on Thought I was "made" today... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is a previous post of mine. http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...d-reading.html...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thought I was "made" today...

I suggest that if you can find in your inner self the will to inflict violence on someone who is trying to victimize you, and can back up that iron will with all the force that you can muster, you will most likely be successful.

2. Remove Ads

As I read this, I was thinking, "That's my dad." He's all the time talking to strangers about their kids, truck, trailer, etc. And he usually opens with some corny line like that guy used. We just roll our eyes. Maybe it's a good 'ol southern boy thing- he is from Alabama.

I doubt you were made; it's just another weirdo making small talk.
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Here in Tennesse we have a "handgun carry permit" so it is not required to be concealed. Though I do believe there is an advantage of keeping concealed. But I do not worry if it does happen to uncover. I simply recover it.

No worry in Ohio, Open Carry is legal too.
    The United States Constitution (c)1791. All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Van View Post
    Open carry is legal here in KY, but aside from painting a bullseye on your chest or wearing a department ID, I can think of no better way of saying 'shoot me first'.
    I would like to see open carry adopted and accepted here in Texas, if only to protect the occasional "slip" from being an offense. (I believe in the 2nd ammendment as it is written, but I also believe in following rules as much as possible.)

Incidentally, Chuck, I think it is time to act. Call your congressman about drawing up legislation that would make it legal (nay...mandatory!) for a father of four beautiful girls to carry a Remington 870 everywhere, anywhere.
    When I'm wearing my cowboy duster I've actually carried my Coach Gun concealed around people. (Unusual circumstances, rarely, but successfully. And legally! Hard to explain.)

Thanks, everyone, for all the kind words. Although I don't mind at all, my real intent was to get everyone to think about "it" before "it" catches you by surprise.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by richardoldfield View Post
    In Texas, the term "concealed" is taken literally. If I was walking around with my "butt" (gun, that is) hanging out I could be cited for failure to properly conceal, or even brandishing in some situations. After a couple such complaints to the PD, I could have my permit suspended.

Are Texas undercover and off duty LEOs held to the same standard?

I used to go to a cop bar for lunch and I watched to see who was carrying but that was a mind game. I do not believe most people consciously look for CCW carriers, I was an exception.

Regards,

Richard
    Since it's the cops that investigate the complaints and enforce the rules, I suspect they might be a little more "understanding" of brother officers - as would the public, so this is no slight or insult (intended) to the Blue.
    Scene: Chuck Brick is "printing," so he gets a complaint from a frightened citi-sheeple: Cops must appease the taxpaying fleeceball and slap my wrist.
    Scene: Officer Joe Cobb gets the same call: citi-sheep is relieved and proud to have a cop around when s/he/it finds out the gun also has a badge in case anything comes down.
    Mental parity with a goldfish, but we have to swim with them best we can without frightening them.
    It's easier to just keep it out of sight. If/when we get open carry (back!), I will undoubtedly do some of both depending on circumstances.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Checking it ususally is a dead give away to someone that your carrying.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Rules for Dating My Daughter...
    Those are great!

I'm showing them to my teenage daughter.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    In Texas, the term "concealed" is taken literally. If I was walking around with my "butt" (gun, that is) hanging out I could be cited for failure to properly conceal, or even brandishing in some situations. After a couple such complaints to the PD, I could have my permit suspended.
    I doubt it would be considered brandishing if it was not on purpose.

Subch. H. LICENSE TO CARRY A CONCEALED HANDGUN

GC 411.171. DEFINITIONS.

(3) "Concealed handgun" means a handgun, the presence of which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person.

PC 46.02.

UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS.

(a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his person a handgun, illegal knife, or club.

(b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

(c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.

Are Texas undercover and off duty LEOs held to the same standard?
    Short answer, no.

46.15 (1) (a) covers this.

46.15. NONAPPLICABILITY.

(a) Sections 46.02 (UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS) and 46.03 (PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED) do not apply to:
    (1) peace officers
    or special investigators under
    Article 2.122, Code of Criminal Procedure, and neither section
    prohibits a peace officer or special investigator from carrying a
    weapon in this state, including in an establishment in this state
    serving the public, regardless of whether the peace officer or
    special investigator is engaged in the actual discharge of the
    officer's or investigator's duties while carrying the weapon

Hope this helps.

guns and pretty daughters.....
    My daughter brought home a guy she was dating a while back.I had just gotten back from the range and had my Glock 17 on the counter while making dinner(in a holster).his eyes got huge and he studdered a bit.I really didn't think much of it at the time.She eventually broke up w/ him(thank God)and I recently saw him at the place he works.He asked if I was still shooting"all those guns"?I said of course.He then says he was scared to even come over to the house after that.My daughter called him "Nancy" everytime he asked if I was going to be there....
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; March 27th, 2008 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Deleted a language workaround.
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    O.K., not to stray too far from your topic and I'm sure you've already seen them, but if not you really need:

Rules for Dating My Daughter

Rule One: If you pull into my driveway and honk you'd better be delivering a package, because you're sure not picking anything up.

Rule Two: You do not touch my daughter in front of me. You may glance at her, so long as you do not peer at anything below her neck. If you cannot keep your eyes or hands off of my daughter's body, I will not only remove them from her body, Ill remove them from yours.

Rule Three: I am aware that it is considered fashionable for boys of your age to wear their trousers so loosely that they appear to be falling off their hips. Please don't take this as an insult, but you and all of your friends are complete idiots. Still, I want to be fair and open minded about this issue, so I propose this compromise: You may come to the door with your underwear showing and your pants ten sizes too big, and I will not object. However, in order to ensure that your clothes do not, in fact come off during the course of your date with my daughter, I will take my electric nail gun and fasten your trousers securely in place to your waist.

Rule Four: I'm sure you've been told that in today's world, sex without utilizing a "Barrier method" of some kind can kill you. Let me elaborate, when it comes to sex, I am the barrier, and I will kill you.

Rule Five: It is usually understood that in order for us to get to know each other, we should talk about sports, politics, and other issues of the day. Please do not do this. The only information I require from you is an indication of when you expect to have my daughter safely back at my house, and the only word I need from you on this subject is: "early"

Rule Six: I have no doubt you are a popular fellow, with many opportunities to date other girls. This is fine with me as long as it is okay with my daughter. Otherwise, once you have gone out with my little girl, you will continue to date no one but her until she is finished with you. If you make her cry, I will make you cry.

Rule Seven: As you stand in my front hallway, waiting for my daughter to appear, and more than an hour goes by, do not sigh and fidget. If you want to be on time for the movie, you should not be dating. My daughter is putting on her makeup, a process that can take longer than painting the Golden Gate Bridge. Instead of just standing there, why don't you do something useful, like changing the oil in my car?

Rule Eight: The following places are not appropriate for a date with my daughter: Places where there are beds, sofas, or anything softer than a wooden stool. Places where there is darkness. Places where there is dancing, holding hands, or happiness. Places where the ambient temperature is warm enough to induce my daughter to wear shorts, tank tops, midriff T-shirts, or anything other than overalls, a sweater, and a goose down parka - zipped up to her throat. Movies with a strong romantic or sexual theme are to be avoided; movies which features chain saws are okay. Hockey games are okay. Old folks homes are better.

Rule Nine: Do not lie to me. I may appear to be a potbellied, balding, middle-aged, dimwitted has-been. But on issues relating to my daughter, I am the all-knowing, merciless god of your universe. If I ask you where you are going and with whom, you have one chance to tell me the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I have a shotgun, a shovel, and five acres behind me.

Rule Ten: Be afraid,. Be very afraid. It takes very little for me to mistake the sound of your car in the driveway for a chopper coming in over a rice paddy near Hanoi. When my Agent Orange starts acting up, the voices in my head frequently tell me to clean the guns as I wait for you to bring my daughter home. As soon as you pull into the driveway you should exit the car with both hands in plain sight. Speak the perimeter password, announce in a clear voice that you have brought my daughter home safely and early, then return to your car - there is no need for you to come inside. The camouflaged face at the window is mine.
    The monitor, keyboard and desk are covered with coffee brewed with the blackest of witches hearts...surely it will corrode and I'll be asking for donations for a new 'puter because of this post. You are a man among men, my friend. Your family will surely recognize this one day!

Until then, stay vigilant!!
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links