Thought I was "made" today...

This is a discussion on Thought I was "made" today... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was leaving Taco Bell today with my family (wife and four daughters; the oldest one works there and was getting off-shift) after lunch today. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thought I was "made" today...

Thought I was "made" today...

I was leaving Taco Bell today with my family (wife and four daughters; the oldest one works there and was getting off-shift) after lunch today. One from a table of 3 or 4 guys we walked past said something to me about "having guns" which startled me because I did have my 1911 on me. It was all my self-control to turn (not jerk!) around and calmly say, " 'Scuse me?" He repeated, "You must keep a gun or two at home with all those daughters!" As calmly as I could, I made a joke about them watching each other for me.
    The hardest part was resisting the reflexive impulse to grab my pistol, thinking initially he was commenting on it, even knowing that it really shouldn't be exposed. As I got out of the booth (or out of a car, or a chair, etc.), I always check my "wallet" as I'm paranoid about dropping/losing it somewhere , so I knew it was properly covered.
    I get joking comments frequently from strangers about carrying a shotgun (all five of my girls - wife and 4 daughters - are very pretty, if I may say so. I don't know how that happened, but it's OK), but this one really startled me the way it came through at first.
    Now, my point is not to brag about the company I keep (and feed), but actually an entirely different point I never considered before: If someone comments on your gun ASSUME YOU MIS-UNDERSTOOD THEM, AND PRETEND YOU AREN'T "PACKING!" If I had slipped and checked my holster, I would have shown those guys - and two other tables - that I was indeed packing, when none of the patrons there knew in the first place. Put simply: BLUFF!! Never admit to it; look confused, whatever, but don't show it off.
    "Learn from other's mistakes, for you will never live long enough to make them all yourself."
    I didn't make the mistake this time, but it sure gave me something to think about!

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

2. Remove Ads

Thumbs up

Good lesson in self control

that would have startled me also, good control.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.Ē
    ― Thomas Paine

Q: Have a gun?
    A: Of course, don't you?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

chuck brick, I do not know about Texas but in Michigan the CCW laws only address brandishing. My point is who cares if someone knows you are packing as long as you do not threaten them without cause? Regards, Richard

Still kind of an odd comment for a stranger to make to someone, especially in a fast food joint.

5 daughters...pretty or not, all I would say is "Poor " sympathetically.

Because of my work, I have gotten into the habit of checking my shirt every time I get up (READ - return to a standing position from what ever position I was in while working on various pieces of equipment - laying down, hanging upside down, inverted in the cab...). It has a tendency to get tucked around the grip.

I am not doing the newbie checking the holster, just just giving the back of my shirt a little tug just above the belt. Annoying, but after finding my grip either exposed or wrapped a few times...
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by richardoldfield View Post
    chuck brick, I do not know about Texas but in Michigan the CCW laws only address brandishing. My point is who cares if someone knows you are packing as long as you do not threaten them without cause? Regards, Richard
    In Texas, the term "concealed" is taken literally. If I was walking around with my "butt" (gun, that is) hanging out I could be cited for failure to properly conceal, or even brandishing in some situations. After a couple such complaints to the PD, I could have my permit suspended.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Still kind of an odd comment for a stranger to make to someone, especially in a fast food joint.
    5 daughters...pretty or not, all I would say is "Poor (banned)" sympathetically.
    I think it was probably more the way I heard it than the way it was delivered. I frequently get jokes about "ridin' heard" or "greeting dates" with a shotgun - Southern humour, I guess. At worst just not real creative. Same intent as your "Poor Guy" (toungue-in-cheek) quip.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Because of my work, I have gotten into the habit of checking my shirt every time I get up (READ - return to a standing position from what ever position I was in while working on various pieces of equipment - laying down, hanging upside down, inverted in the cab...). It has a tendency to get tucked around the grip. I am not doing the newbie checking the holster, just just giving the back of my shirt a little tug just above the belt. Annoying, but after finding my grip either exposed or wrapped a few times...
    Exactly what I mean, "checking my wallet." That's why I knew it wasn't "stuck out" there, but still disconcerting.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by richardoldfield View Post
    Who cares?! I think you may be missing the fact that the whole issue here is concealed carry, and 'checking' pretty much plays your hand. Ol' Chuck handled it well. I'm a pretty intense person, and I think I could take a lesson from the 'relax and play it off' attitude, but no matter what, I guess my point here is that you should NEVER, EVER reveal that you're carrying if you can avoid it (sorry if that seems obvious).

Open carry is legal here in KY, but aside from painting a bullseye on your chest or wearing a department ID, I can think of no better way of saying 'shoot me first'.

Incidentally, Chuck, I think it is time to act. Call your congressman about drawing up legislation that would make it legal (nay...mandatory!) for a father of four beautiful girls to carry a Remington 870 everywhere, anywhere.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The best advise regarding carrying is to "forget about it". Most often it isn't bulges, bumps or printing that give a CCW away. It is the subconcious actions, movements and the way they handle themselves that tip off the observant. Here's an interesting link to some old info, but some may be new for folks.
    Tips to spot when someone's carrying?
    If I can find the FBI "How to spot a gun" text, I'll post it. It is very revealing (pardon the pun).

Lead Moderator
    Nice job, I feel even the most casual tug to check your cover garment, if someone notices you do so several times may figure out why you are so worried about your wardrobe. Nice job playing it cool.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    You're made.
    So what???

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

In Texas, the term "concealed" is taken literally. If I was walking around with my "butt" (gun, that is) hanging out I could be cited for failure to properly conceal, or even brandishing in some situations. After a couple such complaints to the PD, I could have my permit suspended.

Are Texas undercover and off duty LEOs held to the same standard?

I used to go to a cop bar for lunch and I watched to see who was carrying but that was a mind game. I do not believe most people consciously look for CCW carriers, I was an exception.

Regards,

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by chuck brick View Post
    I get joking comments frequently from strangers about carrying a shotgun (all five of my girls - wife and 4 daughters - are very pretty, if I may say so. I don't know how that happened, but it's OK)
    O.K., not to stray too far from your topic and I'm sure you've already seen them, but if not you really need:

Rules for Dating My Daughter

Rule One: If you pull into my driveway and honk you'd better be delivering a package, because you're sure not picking anything up.

Rule Two: You do not touch my daughter in front of me. You may glance at her, so long as you do not peer at anything below her neck. If you cannot keep your eyes or hands off of my daughter's body, I will not only remove them from her body, Iíll remove them from yours.

Rule Three: I am aware that it is considered fashionable for boys of your age to wear their trousers so loosely that they appear to be falling off their hips. Please don't take this as an insult, but you and all of your friends are complete idiots. Still, I want to be fair and open minded about this issue, so I propose this compromise: You may come to the door with your underwear showing and your pants ten sizes too big, and I will not object. However, in order to ensure that your clothes do not, in fact come off during the course of your date with my daughter, I will take my electric nail gun and fasten your trousers securely in place to your waist.

Rule Four: I'm sure you've been told that in today's world, sex without utilizing a "Barrier method" of some kind can kill you. Let me elaborate, when it comes to sex, I am the barrier, and I will kill you.

Rule Five: It is usually understood that in order for us to get to know each other, we should talk about sports, politics, and other issues of the day. Please do not do this. The only information I require from you is an indication of when you expect to have my daughter safely back at my house, and the only word I need from you on this subject is: "early"

Rule Six: I have no doubt you are a popular fellow, with many opportunities to date other girls. This is fine with me as long as it is okay with my daughter. Otherwise, once you have gone out with my little girl, you will continue to date no one but her until she is finished with you. If you make her cry, I will make you cry.

Rule Seven: As you stand in my front hallway, waiting for my daughter to appear, and more than an hour goes by, do not sigh and fidget. If you want to be on time for the movie, you should not be dating. My daughter is putting on her makeup, a process that can take longer than painting the Golden Gate Bridge. Instead of just standing there, why don't you do something useful, like changing the oil in my car?

Rule Eight: The following places are not appropriate for a date with my daughter: Places where there are beds, sofas, or anything softer than a wooden stool. Places where there is darkness. Places where there is dancing, holding hands, or happiness. Places where the ambient temperature is warm enough to induce my daughter to wear shorts, tank tops, midriff T-shirts, or anything other than overalls, a sweater, and a goose down parka - zipped up to her throat. Movies with a strong romantic or sexual theme are to be avoided; movies which features chain saws are okay. Hockey games are okay. Old folks homes are better.

Rule Nine: Do not lie to me. I may appear to be a potbellied, balding, middle-aged, dimwitted has-been. But on issues relating to my daughter, I am the all-knowing, merciless god of your universe. If I ask you where you are going and with whom, you have one chance to tell me the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I have a shotgun, a shovel, and five acres behind me.

Rule Ten: Be afraid,. Be very afraid. It takes very little for me to mistake the sound of your car in the driveway for a chopper coming in over a rice paddy near Hanoi. When my Agent Orange starts acting up, the voices in my head frequently tell me to clean the guns as I wait for you to bring my daughter home. As soon as you pull into the driveway you should exit the car with both hands in plain sight. Speak the perimeter password, announce in a clear voice that you have brought my daughter home safely and early, then return to your car - there is no need for you to come inside. The camouflaged face at the window is mine.
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    O.K., not to stray too far from your topic and I'm sure you've already seen them, but if not you really need:

Rules for Dating My Daughter

Rule One: If you pull into my driveway and honk you'd better be delivering a package, because you're sure not picking anything up.

Rule Two: You do not touch my daughter in front of me. You may glance at her, so long as you do not peer at anything below her neck. If you cannot keep your eyes or hands off of my daughter's body, I will not only remove them from her body, Iíll remove them from yours.

Rule Three: I am aware that it is considered fashionable for boys of your age to wear their trousers so loosely that they appear to be falling off their hips. Please don't take this as an insult, but you and all of your friends are complete idiots. Still, I want to be fair and open minded about this issue, so I propose this compromise: You may come to the door with your underwear showing and your pants ten sizes too big, and I will not object. However, in order to ensure that your clothes do not, in fact come off during the course of your date with my daughter, I will take my electric nail gun and fasten your trousers securely in place to your waist.

Rule Four: I'm sure you've been told that in today's world, sex without utilizing a "Barrier method" of some kind can kill you. Let me elaborate, when it comes to sex, I am the barrier, and I will kill you.

Rule Five: It is usually understood that in order for us to get to know each other, we should talk about sports, politics, and other issues of the day. Please do not do this. The only information I require from you is an indication of when you expect to have my daughter safely back at my house, and the only word I need from you on this subject is: "early"

Rule Six: I have no doubt you are a popular fellow, with many opportunities to date other girls. This is fine with me as long as it is okay with my daughter. Otherwise, once you have gone out with my little girl, you will continue to date no one but her until she is finished with you. If you make her cry, I will make you cry.

Rule Seven: As you stand in my front hallway, waiting for my daughter to appear, and more than an hour goes by, do not sigh and fidget. If you want to be on time for the movie, you should not be dating. My daughter is putting on her makeup, a process that can take longer than painting the Golden Gate Bridge. Instead of just standing there, why don't you do something useful, like changing the oil in my car?

Rule Eight: The following places are not appropriate for a date with my daughter: Places where there are beds, sofas, or anything softer than a wooden stool. Places where there is darkness. Places where there is dancing, holding hands, or happiness. Places where the ambient temperature is warm enough to induce my daughter to wear shorts, tank tops, midriff T-shirts, or anything other than overalls, a sweater, and a goose down parka - zipped up to her throat. Movies with a strong romantic or sexual theme are to be avoided; movies which features chain saws are okay. Hockey games are okay. Old folks homes are better.

Rule Nine: Do not lie to me. I may appear to be a potbellied, balding, middle-aged, dimwitted has-been. But on issues relating to my daughter, I am the all-knowing, merciless god of your universe. If I ask you where you are going and with whom, you have one chance to tell me the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I have a shotgun, a shovel, and five acres behind me.

Rule Ten: Be afraid,. Be very afraid. It takes very little for me to mistake the sound of your car in the driveway for a chopper coming in over a rice paddy near Hanoi. When my Agent Orange starts acting up, the voices in my head frequently tell me to clean the guns as I wait for you to bring my daughter home. As soon as you pull into the driveway you should exit the car with both hands in plain sight. Speak the perimeter password, announce in a clear voice that you have brought my daughter home safely and early, then return to your car - there is no need for you to come inside. The camouflaged face at the window is mine.
    holy crap, that was funny. I remember I dated a few girls with dads like that.
    Better to die quick, fighting on your feet;
    Than to live forever, begging on your knees.

This came to mind...I'm pragerizing here, I read this somewhere else:

Other person: Is that a gun you have there?
    Me: Gun? What gun?
    Other person: That there on your hip.
    Me: Gun? A GUN??? OH NO! NO! GET IT OFF! (sweeping motions with the hand)GET IT OFF! NO! AHHHHGGGG! NO! GET IT OFF! (running away out the store away from the gun on the hip)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links