Update on, venting on idiot shooting in middle of the city

This is a discussion on Update on, venting on idiot shooting in middle of the city within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In reply to Sigearny, He did drag the deer to his truck and throw it in the back. And the truck was new, at least ...

Thread: Update on, venting on idiot shooting in middle of the city

In reply to Sigearny, He did drag the deer to his truck and throw it in the back. And the truck was new, at least a 2005 or newer ford. Npete hit it right on the money about the street being a main thoroughfare that runs near our mall and other large shopping areas as well as some residential areas.

As to what happened, A friend of mine who is leo told me that the guy had hit the deer and in the state he came from it was legal to disbatch a car struck deer with a gun. So the police tagged it for him. However it is not legal in MN and he had MN plates so he has been here a while. Also I doubt that in the state he was referring to it is legal to mow down a deer that is still standing with 9 shots in the middle of the city.

I have a request in to the police station to get a full incident report, (which in MN you are entitled to if you reported the violation) to confirm or deny the story of tagging the deer that i got from my leo friend. I will repost when I have said incident report in hand, I don't know how long it takes to get it.

As far as poaching goes, and them confiscating stuff, if the police did indeed tag it that has made it legal. Also in response to him needing the meat because of the economy, I highly doubt it due to the truck he was driving. Also I didn't draw on him and hold him because I didn't think the situation warranted it, especially with my wife in the car, and how much stupidity he had already shown

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by icarry View Post
    As far as poaching goes, and them confiscating stuff, if the police did indeed tag it that has made it legal. Also in response to him needing the meat because of the economy, I highly doubt it due to the truck he was driving. Also I didn't draw on him and hold him because I didn't think the situation warranted it, especially with my wife in the car, and how much stupidity he had already shown
    Not sure about the rest of the post, but the bolded part, I can attest to myself. I drove a NICE truck for a long time, but due to the economy going south, gas prices going up, job issues, etc... I got in a real bind for a while. Problem was, believe it or not, that I was in a situation where I couldn't even afford to sell the truck at the time. So yes, I was still driving a nice, hopped up truck, but the only meat I was getting came from my rifle. So needless to say, was he an idiot...probably, but don't ignore a possibility just because the truck looks expensive...Just my $ 0.1911 Looks can be deceiving.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Yeah, I have a '02 Chevy and it is hard to pay that much for gas. But, if you really absolutely need a deer to eat and have to poach (not saying I would do it but if you would) do it safely in the country where no one sees it especially people who may be on the fence about hunting and guns. An experience like my wife got is all it takes to make anti.

I got a call back on the report, since it is not an important case (in their minds and I can see that), the report will not be ready for a coupla weeks. However the person contacting me was able to give a few more details. He has been cited for discharging a weapon in city limits and will have to go to court for that. He DOES have a carry permit. And they did tag the deer for him so poaching is not an issue any more.

Unfortunately, this guy gives the CCW community a black eye with his irresponsible behavior...hopefully the media doesn't have a picnic with this incident.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Not sure about the rest of the post, but the bolded part, I can attest to myself. I drove a NICE truck for a long time, but due to the economy going south, gas prices going up, job issues, etc... I got in a real bind for a while. Problem was, believe it or not, that I was in a situation where I couldn't even afford to sell the truck at the time. So yes, I was still driving a nice, hopped up truck, but the only meat I was getting came from my rifle. So needless to say, was he an idiot...probably, but don't ignore a possibility just because the truck looks expensive...Just my $ 0.1911 Looks can be deceiving.
    i,agree w/packinnova,i dont think he went about it the right way but if he took the deer for food i would tend to be more forgiving toward him.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Being a little skeptical of this story, I had a look at recent press releases made by the Duluth Police Department. Here are the results:

03/20/2008 Internet Scam Investigation More...
    03/20/2008 Fatal Vehicle Crash More...
    03/18/2008 Major Injury Crash More...
    03/13/2008 Counterfeit Cashier Checks & Fugitive More...
    03/01/2008 Vehicle Pursuit More...

Nothing about shots fired or a deer killed in downtown Duluth. Nothing in the newspapers either. I then looked at the number of posts made by the originator, 3 all concerning this subject. This type of post reminds me of the beginning of the end of another venerable site. Please, please let's not let that happen here.

I posted this in the other thread, but I'm gonna post it again here in case some people didn't see it. I am doubtful about the truthfulness of this post as I also live right in Duluth and didn't hear anything about this in any of the local media or from any of the local LEOs that I know. The quote is from a friend of mine who is an officer with Duluth Police, I sent him a copy of the original post asking if he had heard anything and this was his reply.

I didn't hear anything about it, but something like that could be charged as a felony for reckless discharge within a municipality. My guess is that it is not true.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."

-- Robert A. Heinlein

Links