Unbelievable

Unbelievable

This is a discussion on Unbelievable within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; VA offer to the families of the VA Tech because they allowed the easy slaughter of there family members. No dollar amount can replace there ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unbelievable

Angry Unbelievable

VA offer to the families of the VA Tech because they allowed the easy slaughter of there family members. No dollar amount can replace there loss but this is an insult!!!!!!!

Va. Tech Victims' Families Criticize Proposed Settlement - News Story - WRC | Washington

The government and the school admin. set these students up for slaughter by denying qualified and and responsible people to be able to carry defensive weapons. The criminals know that these are not gun free zones except to law abiding citizens who now have become defenseless victims. The school president said that he was glad when the government made the school a gun free zone everyone would "feel safe" I guess that it is better to "feel safe" than to actually BE SAFE! I bet the feeling of safety evaporated when the shooting started shifting to terror as the bullets pass through them. Most of these students were working on Masters or PhD degrees and would be in the 100K+ year salary category (for at least another 35 years) and the state has the gaul to offer less than a years salary "compensation".

I have a few questions:

If the state denies you the ability to defend yourself does that not make them responsible for your well being?

If they take the responsibility for your well being should they not have to pay more than a token amount because of there failure?

How many of the legislators that voted to make these student unarmed victims have a security detail or have a weapons permit for there own protection?

How many students or campus employees in that building that day had a weapons permit but were denied the ability to carry?

When are these liberal idiot politicians or the voters going to wise up?

Have you had enough of this crap yet?

Do you think I am mad about this? I can answer that one, YES!!!!
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; March 26th, 2008 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Deleted a language workaround.

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    This is a statement I have made on other sites, it is relevant but on this site seems unneeded. Remind your neighbors that their vote is important since most of the country believes in the second ammendment.

"It is up to the people to make decisions in the voting booth at the City, County, State, and National Level. Vote early Vote Once."

Your thread title is insufficient, no?
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

I agree that the state of VA committed a breech of implied contract by requiring the students to be unarmed and then failing to make any effort to enforce that requirement on a vicious psycho bend on harming them. (I know a lawyer wouldn't agree with me, but I'm talking about a moral/social not a legal contract.)

But I'm not sure that forcing the tax payers to fork over a lot of cash would really constitute 'taking responsibility' on the state's part. That wouldn't be any skin off the politician's and administrator's backs.

I would rather see the families and their lawyers pushing for a change in policy that would be effective in preventing a repeat -- either lift the weapons ban or enforce it with metal detectors and well trained armed guards.

Of course, that's easy for me to say since I wasn't personally affected. But it seems to me that would be the 'good fight' and would make something constructive come out of the tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by micpl View Post
    I agree that the state of VA committed a breech of implied contract by requiring the students to be unarmed and then failing to make any effort to enforce that requirement on a vicious psycho bend on harming them. (I know a lawyer wouldn't agree with me, but I'm talking about a moral/social not a legal contract.)

But I'm not sure that forcing the tax payers to fork over a lot of cash would really constitute 'taking responsibility' on the state's part. That wouldn't be any skin off the politician's and administrator's backs.

I would rather see the families and their lawyers pushing for a change in policy that would be effective in preventing a repeat -- either lift the weapons ban or enforce it with metal detectors and well trained armed guards.

Of course, that's easy for me to say since I wasn't personally affected. But it seems to me that would be the 'good fight' and would make something constructive come out of the tragedy.
    As a taxpayer YOU are ultimately responsible for the stupid things your elected officials do......Vote them out!

I agree with "micpl" & yes people forced to be unarmed & slaughtered really makes me mad! Look at how much this happening now & they cant figure out why
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; March 26th, 2008 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Deleted a language workaround.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Nowhere in the U.S. Constitution does it say the Govt. is obligated to keep you
    safe from harm.

I don't expect the cop down the street to protect me, why would I expect
    a college to?
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

A couple of weeks ago the Oklahoma House of Representatives passed a bill by a good margin allowing military veterans with valid carry permits to carry on all public colleges and universities in the state. They sent it to the state Senate and I haven't heard anything else since then. It's sure a step in the right direction.

JayPee

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    safe from harm.

a college to?
    I don't, but I also don't appreciate it when their policies make me and mine defenseless either (and I do realize you are not saying that you do appreciate it ).

I am not involved either, so this is easy for me to say, but if it were me and mine, I would want heads to roll, not money. Too many public officials today seem to think that taking responsibility means nothing more than uttering the words, "I take full responsibility." Did Janet Reno resign after Waco? All of us could name many others. Taking responsibility should mean sacrifice, loss of position and pay, etc.; but that seems to be a foreign concept to many public officials today. OMO, YMMV.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    First the state did not make the campus a gun free zone. Under Virginia law a school is K-12. That was done by the college's administration. The only college in the Virginia law books that is mentioned as illegal to carry is Virginia Commonwealth University. It is only the campus's policy. If found carrying there they can ask you to leave and refusal to do so is tresspass, but no gun charge. Now to the offer, it does contain a clause that accepting the offer you forfeit your rights to sue the campus or state. Personally I would tell Kaine and the bunch to go pound sand. I believe that they are responsible for the safety of everyone on their property because they should assume liability for not allowing a person to defend themselves. The same should apply for every woman raped on campus because of this policy.

I just posted a comment stating that it would be a lot cheaper to allow a legally licensed civilian or LEO with a $450 concealed handgun on campuses to provide a deterrent to this problem.

It is a lot cheaper than the states' offer and what will eventually become the mega settlements the blood sucking personal injury attorneys will drag out of the state coffers.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Amen edr, amen to that. You have to wonder how much press coverage this would have gotten: "Crazed gunman shot by a student with a gun permit at VT - no one else was injured." Story at eleven.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    safe from harm.

a college to?
    True.
    But they should not limit your ability to protect yourself and or your loved ones.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Angry

Because the government is not responsible for your individual safety is exactly why they should not limit your ability to protect yourself!!!

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    All we can hope for is that some of the families decline the hush money and instead chose to sue. If the damages awarded at the conclusion are large enough, perhaps some schools will think about protecting themselves by either upping security or, preferably, allowing individuals the right to defend themselves.

I think our culture has embraced lawsuits to the hilt (the frivolous ones, at least) but I don't think anyone could argue that suing because you and yours were denied the right to defend yourself is frivolous.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links