Washington State Carry?

This is a discussion on Washington State Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How is the Seattle area for carry? Do you need permits to own/buy guns? What about moving in with guns, do they need to be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washington State Carry?

Washington State Carry?

How is the Seattle area for carry? Do you need permits to own/buy guns? What about moving in with guns, do they need to be registered?

Good areas in general to live if working downtown?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Washington state requires no permit to buy or own guns (no Class 3, though) and they don't need to be registered. The state is the same throughout for carry. Here's the RCW link for firearm laws:
    Chapter 9.41 RCW: Firearms and dangerous weapons

I live on the other side of the state, so I can't comment on living in Seattle. There are several other members that can, though.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Gun with permit, yes. As Copperknight pointed out, no registration, etc.

Knife... well see the heated debate here: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...xed-blade.html

IMO you cannot carry a knife or any edged weapon other than a boyscout knife. In practice however, the police rarely if ever even confiscate your knife if it's in violation (Seattle-only).

Are you a homeowner or a renter?

Renting anywhere is kind of expensive, but especially downtown and on the east side.

Homes are most affordable in the south end, but crime is a big issue there. Seattle crime is horrendous (for WA).

The Eastside and the North end are the best bet, especially if you have kids. Both are expensive, and the commute is awful.

VIP Member
    I got my first carry permit there, in 1992. Seattle is a very liberal city (in the bad way), but they must abide by the laws of the State. All in all, I had a very pleasurable experience in the Olympia-Tacoma-Seattle area, both carrying and living...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I lived there about 9 years ago and still have family there. I'm probably there about twice a year on average now that they honor the NC permit. I loved the city. The crime is like any other place, there are good and bad areas. There is a lot less CCW in Seattle per capita than on the east side of the state around Spokane. Because of this, I find that the cops are less knowledgeable regarding CCW, but they have always been polite. Just not enthusiastic like some of the cops here in NC (you know what I mean, rather than asking you to hand over your weapon during a traffic stop the cop asks you what you are carrying and how it shoots?). The middle of the state is like the wild west, and you can routinely see people walking out of the woods with hunting rifles and sidearms from the mountains to the ID border and beyond. All in all, you usually won't have a problem regarding firearms in WA in my experience. Also, you will be one of the very few that can get a permit in OR, because of their bordering state rule, just in case you ever wanted to go there packing.

That's good. I was a little worried when I saw WA didn't honor ANYBODY else's CCW.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    That's good. I was a little worried when I saw WA didn't honor ANYBODY else's CCW.
    Not exactly... but close.

LA, MI, MS, NC, OH, OK, UT are honored last I checked. Confirmation here: CCRKBA :: CCW Reciprocity Guide

Here's the official "periodically updated" list form the AG:

Concealed Weapon Reciprocity

Must have just checked for Florida!

[Disclaimer: I'm no lawyer. Double check things for yourself.]

I've had a permit for probably a couple of decades but only got serious about carrying the last couple of years.

While not perfect, all-in-all the laws regarding carry seem fairly reasonable.

Normal stuff like no Post Office, Federal Buildings, Court Houses. No carry in elementary and secondary schools, bars or the "bar area" of an establishment.

Stores may 'post' that they do not want firearms, but my understanding is that it is not illegal to enter. Think of it more as a "we don't want your kind around here" posting. Of course if for some reason you are found out they may ask you to leave and if asked you must leave. Of course, they can do this for most any reason anyway. So far, I think I've only noticed one store posted (although I admit, I don't store-hop or anything).

You are not required to say anything about your carry when you come in contact with an officer. You only must declare and present your permit if asked. You must have your permit while you carry.

WA is a shall-issue state, no classes required. IIRC, you need to be a 21, non-felon, no involuntary mental commitment.

You need to apply in person. Since I've lived here, I've applied downtown Seattle at the court house (IIRC) and in Snohomish Co. Courthouse (you apply to the city or county where you live). Both locations require you go through metal detectors. You'll want to leave your pocket knife, etc. in your car. It's a M-F, 9-5 affair.

You'll wait in line for a while (don't go during lunch break if possible) -- give yourself an hour, fill out some forms including reason ("self defense" is fine), pay a fee (~$60 IIRC) and get fingerprinted.

You'll then wait about 30 days and get your permit in the mail. For renewal you get a 90 day window of time.

I haven't purchased a firearm w/o a permit in a while, but IIRC there is a waiting period if you do not have a permit, no waiting if you do.

As stated before, no "registration" of firearms.

As stated above, downtown is expensive. I live about 25 mi. north east of downtown and commute each day. Cities/towns in this area would be Bothell, Mill Creek, Lynnwood and unincorporated areas. Depending on traffic this means a commute time of 30mins - 1hr. I find this area a reasonable compromise between "nice" and far enough away to afford.

Note the 'eastside' is nice (Bellevue, Woodinville), but expensive, but more importantly, they keep threatening to put a toll on the bridge you must go across to get to downtown. I think I've heard it as 'when, not if'.

Some links:
    Chapter 9.41 RCW: Firearms and dangerous weapons
    Snohomish County : Sheriff Information : Concealed Weapons

Good luck!

-john

One change to the above post which covered the state fairly well.

It is legal to carry in Liquor Stores, but not in Bars. The specific law states "That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age". Since the law allows minors to enter liquor stores with their parents, as long as they do not purchase liquor, this provision does not apply.

Another thing, Washington is what we call an Open Carry State. No license is required to Open Carry a firearm as long as you are not a prohibited person. A CPL (Concealed Pistol License) is only necessary if you wish to conceal or have a loaded gun in a car.
    --
    Your second amendment rights are showing!
    http://www.opencarry.org

Thanks for the correction. I always thought liquor stores were posted as off limits to under 21.

As a follow up, note that some places are more open to open carry than others. :-)

-john

@ Right Wing Wacko. Love the handle, too bad we are a dying breed in this state.

Also, I think it is ok to have class III, if you can get the sheriff to approve (not likely).

VIP Member
    fill out some forms including reason ("self defense" is fine)
    Funny, I didn't have to state any reason. Maybe the forms are different by county?
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Oh... One more thing. There are some downers in WA firearms law also.

No Machine Guns
    No SBS
    No SBR
    Silencers... Legal to own, Illegal to use
    --
    Your second amendment rights are showing!
    http://www.opencarry.org

Living Conditions

What's required to own a firearm in the state of Washington has been pretty well covered in earlier replies, so I'll just add my 2 cents about living in Seattle.

I grew up in Ballard, a few miles away from downtown. It's getting to be a fairly expensive place to live, and decent apartments are hard to find as a lot were torn down and rebuilt as condos. It's a pleasant enough city, very well educated populace (in terms of college degrees), a lot of money, a lot of DINKs running around (Dual Income, No Kids). People aren't as friendly as they are down south or even in the midwest, but they are at least polite.

I grew up on the North Side of Seattle and it was a very pleasant neighborhood, a lot of places within walking distance, and we have a pretty good transit system set up with our metro busses. My father owns a business in the SoDo region (South of Downtown, Industrial District) and I worked in West Seattle and Whitecenter with the fire department. Not very pleasant neighborhoods, a lot of drugs and gangbangers, but it's not really comparable to say East LA or South Detroit.

There are nicer sections to West Seattle once you get farther away from downtown. As I said earlier my father's business operates south of downtown and our house was on the north side so he had to go all the way through downtown coming back and forth, the morning commute usually isn't too bad but it can bottleneck at quittin time.

Anyway, hope it helps, Seattle might be a liberal haven but we've got some nice folks too :-)
    People do not lack strength; they lack will. Victor Hugo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links