Help !.. Rhode Island Applicant ..

Help !.. Rhode Island Applicant ..

This is a discussion on Help !.. Rhode Island Applicant .. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hey guys I am filling out the rhode island LTC form for my AG's office.. there is a question on here that i don't understand ...

Thread: Help !.. Rhode Island Applicant ..

Question Help !.. Rhode Island Applicant ..

hey guys

I am filling out the rhode island LTC form for my AG's office.. there is a question on here that i don't understand too well..

HAVE YOU EVER BEEN ARRESTED?_____________ IF SO, GIVE
    DETAILS

when I was a juvenile (13yrs old). i was arrested on destruction of property charge (graffiti).. will i have to list this down ? or it doesnt matter since I was a juvenile at the time and its been over 15 years and its long expunged off my record ..

since then ,I have purchase all my guns and answered NO to the same question ..i have yet gotten red flagged or denied of any firearm sale..

I'm not sure now if i should disclosed this information , seeing/hearing they do a more extensive BCI check when applying for a LTC.. i really dont want to get denied cause I didnt answer one of the questions correctly .. to any of the guys who can help clear this up i greatly apperiate it

Donny Sam -

If it was sealed as a juvi, or pardoned or expunged, you can answer no.

I do not think it will not be "expunged" as a matter of time, would be a court thing. Unless RI is one of those funny states.

Arrested need not equate to charged , indicted, or convicted. Could be arrested and no-billed. I have been arrested, held a few hours, then released when the PD realized they were quite wrong and I han't shot a person while kidnapping another (funny story really)

Then again, minor charge long ago at the dumb arse age of 13, you probably don't have much to fear by declaring it.

ETA:
    Oh if you are in the same state or county, and the AG's office is doing the background check, you bet your tail they will find it. But legally, you may not have to declare it.

yeah i'm not gonna rush this application , i want to be 100% sure ? any more guru on the board who can help me clear this up even more ?

Be forthcoming and truthful up front. Anytime a record is queried, it will show up with a status showing the charge as dismissed or a conviction. I have queried RI persons through CJIS and have noticed this through my employment. The important issue is whether the charge was a misd. or a felony. In essence, don't lie, you lose if you do.

of course i totally agreed about being honest and upfront .there is no reason to lie/fib about it , seeing that this will only benefit me.. i just was under the impression that if its cleared at the time it wont matter . the arrest was so long ago i hardly remember .. but im more then positive it was a misdemeanor charge and not a felony

and if i remember correctly .. the standing judge for my case told me if i kept out of trouble that it would be expunged when i turn 18 ..

Lead Moderator
    Best to list it or ask a competent lawyer. Local PD may give you an answer, but they may or may not know every aspect of the law.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Best to list it or ask a competent lawyer. Local PD may give you an answer, but they may or may not know every aspect of the law.

i will have to look into a firearm lawyer .. thanks

any more comments or suggestions ?

If you need to know for sure, go to the Courthouse where the charges were brought against you and check in with the clerk. THe or She will look up the case disposition and tell you whether it has been expunged or not. I lived in RI for most of my life prior to moving to Ma. The last time I checked, records were not expunged on criminal charges unless you applied to have it expunged.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Talk to a lawyer, one who knows that stuff cold, that's the answer I'd go with too.

I'm pretty sure the expunged ones don't show up on background checks for most civilian types of employment. But for anything having to do w/LE, I would bet that those expunged records will be found.

Discovered or not, they evidently didn't have anything to do w/your ability to purchase firearms. I wouldn't think that graffiti as a 13yo would be held against you.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerswann View Post
    im a member at CRALRI also .. i will post the thread there also

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post

Discovered or not, they evidently didn't have anything to do w/your ability to purchase firearms. I wouldn't think that graffiti as a 13yo would be held against you.

exactly my point .. hence the reason why i was able to purchase and sell firearms legally for the last 10 years.. but as stated earlier i would like to hand in the application packet knowing i did my best filling it out correctly .. thanks for the support guys

TOF
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnySam View Post
    im a member at CRALRI also .. i will post the thread there also

exactly my point .. hence the reason why i was able to purchase and sell firearms legally for the last 10 years.. but as stated earlier i would like to hand in the application packet knowing i did my best filling it out correctly .. thanks for the support guys
    If you want to fill it out correctly simply tell the truth. I don't see reason for doubting what your answer should be.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

My .02 is that if you disclose it what is the downside? If you answered No and something shows up they can deny you. I am sure that something that happened when you were 13 would not count against you.

Sponsored Links