Maine Non-resident - Page 2

Maine Non-resident

This is a discussion on Maine Non-resident within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I haven't, either. In fact, I've never seen a posted place in this entire state. I'm told by a good friend of mine (who is ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maine Non-resident

I haven't, either. In fact, I've never seen a posted place in this entire state.

I'm told by a good friend of mine (who is a gun guy like me, but lazy on getting his CCW) that Champion's Bar in Biddeford has such a sign. I haven't been there since I got my permit, but next time I'm in Biddo I plan to stop by and take a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah View Post
    you are better off to not carry open.
    Have you experienced issues? Admitted, I've only done it a handful of times, but I've never been bothered. (Biddeford/Sanford area)

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah View Post
    CCW is required in a bar (no open carry).
    Now see, that's funny, because I haven't seen anything, or even heard anything that says CCW is required in a bar. Can you cite that, or have you change your opinion since re-reading the above? (I'm not trying to be argumentative, just genuinely curious)
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

Semper Vigilans et Paratus

Have you experienced issues? Admitted, I've only done it a handful of times, but I've never been bothered. (Biddeford/Sanford area)
    Yeah I got the royal hassle once. 3+ hours cuffed in a cruiser. Yay. I will open carry on my property, but rarely further.

Portland used to disarm you if you were open carrying. Not sure if they still do under the new chief.

Last summer, I spoke with the head of the policeman's union about some gun bills pending the state legislature. Really nice fellow. He said that even though open carry was 100% legal, it was out of the norm. He said that if anyone reported you (help, there's a man with a holstered gun!) they would be forced to respond and his exact words "you would not go unmolsted" meaning you'd play twenty questions with the cops and try not to trip up - not that they'd toss you in jail - just that they'd give you the once over to know you were a good guy. Apparently that's different from the 'give you a once over to bust your chops'.

Now see, that's funny, because I haven't seen anything, or even heard anything that says CCW is required in a bar. Can you cite that, or have you change your opinion since re-reading the above? (I'm not trying to be argumentative, just genuinely curious)
    English is a funny language. I am pretty sure that I was not interpreting correctly. But hey here's my interpretation that may get a laugh or two.
    posted to prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms in a manner reasonably likely to come to the attention of patrons
    I read this as "the firearms are reasonably likely to come to the attention of patrons". Of course it makes a little more sense as "the no guns sign is reasonably likely to come to the attention..."

I havent been to Champions for 8 or 9 years, but wasnt there a shooting there 5 or 6 years ago ?

And it sounds like you are within 5 or 10 miles of me !? Hiya neighbor !!

Quote Originally Posted by jschweick90 View Post
    Yeah I'm kicking myself for not calling earlier this month to get signed up for the course that is currently going on. So I guess I will just stop by this Saturday to sign up for Aprils class.
    Yeah I took it at Van Raymonds. Charlie is great but he sticks to basic marksmanship. You won't hear much if anything about concealed carry. Just FYI. Its a good course. What town are you in?
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

Bline that is true with Charlie it would be cool to find someone local that has a good concealed carry kind of class not necessarily for the permit but just for good knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by halfcrazy View Post
    Bline that is true with Charlie it would be cool to find someone local that has a good concealed carry kind of class not necessarily for the permit but just for good knowledge
    PMd
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by Bline View Post
    Yeah I took it at Van Raymonds. Charlie is great but he sticks to basic marksmanship. You won't hear much if anything about concealed carry. Just FYI. Its a good course. What town are you in?
    I am about 40-50 min. North of Bangor near Lincoln.

test post i see three pages but cant get to the third?
    ok strange now i see it

Yeah, I thought that was kind of strange too. Not the first time it's happened to me, either - it happened before in Miggy's thread about "gunfreezone.net". I thought it was just me. Good to know it's not.

I'm in the Sanford area - I'll fire some shots, Shizzlemah, you tell me if you hear the sirens
    Seriously, though, where did you have this problem? I'm genuinely curious. I know Portland used to be anti-CCW, until the state put the smack-down with pre-emption. But I've never actually heard an OC story from Maine.
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

Semper Vigilans et Paratus

I'm in the Sanford area - I'll fire some shots, Shizzlemah, you tell me if you hear the sirens
    Sirens ? Heck I heard the brass hit the ground :-)

PD is trained well out here. They don't rush out when there are reports of shots fired !

Sometimes you have to hit "refresh" to view the latest postings in a thread.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Well I sent off my Maine CCW permit

Hopefully I'll have it in my mailbox in 90 days. Can't wait to get up there and get me some lobstah

VIP Member
    Pro2A. I also sent for ME Non-Resident, on Feb 16. They cashed my check on March 21. It's been about 46 days so far. Maybe soon. I will post here when it arrive.

It looks like there's a run on Maine NR permits, I sent mine in April 1. I'll report back on how long it takes to get.
    Rob - The Erstwhile Vermont Fat Ba*d

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    If they allowed reciprocity with other states I'm sure they wouldn't be flooded with non-res permit applications...

Isn't it amazing that Maine won't allow reciprocity and is so slow to grant non resident permits, and yet doesn't require proof of residence or EVEN CITIZENSHIP to issue drivers licenses? Thats pretty messed up.

cars

Gun class

I would recomend a handgun class from an NRA instructor.
    We took ours from Phil (Willys Guns) at Ellsworth High School. Great class.
    Phil makes it fun with plenty of information on just about anything.
    I live in Hancock right next to Ellsworth, a great area in Maine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links