Maine Non-resident - Page 3

Maine Non-resident

This is a discussion on Maine Non-resident within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If they allowed reciprocity with other states I'm sure they wouldn't be flooded with non-res permit applications... That is exactly what I told the congressional ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Maine Non-resident

If they allowed reciprocity with other states I'm sure they wouldn't be flooded with non-res permit applications...
    That is exactly what I told the congressional subcommite as they were discussing reciprocity legislation last year. Spoke to one of the chairman privately and said charge $100, reciprocate with a dozen states with similar laws, and you could issue 100x the permits. Explained that FL was doing a similar thing.

"Why do we need to help non-residents" well knucklehead, as a resident, I'd rather pay y'all for a multi state permit instead of staying current with 4 other non res permits

The AG up here is vehemently anti gun, and he hasn't approved any reciprocity. He is claiming that no other state has equivalent laws (as required for ME to reciprocate). He is truly focused on EQUIVALENT, word for word, and of course no state has the same wording throughout their handgun laws.

This state is incredibly short sighted.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah View Post
    The AG up here is vehemently anti gun, and he hasn't approved any reciprocity. He is claiming that no other state has equivalent laws (as required for ME to reciprocate). He is truly focused on EQUIVALENT, word for word, and of course no state has the same wording throughout their handgun laws.
    I would agree that the permit application process was far more difficult then in PA.

This state is incredibly short sighted.
    +1 on that sad how backwards some poeple think

I would agree that the permit application process was far more difficult then in PA.
    We had an NRA lawyer present - wish I could remeber his name - but he prepared a list of 50 states and what the permit requirements were.

ME requires a background check, both criminal and mental (from the two ME assylums), requires the applicant to be 'of good moral charachter', and to have a basic pistol class. Some residents need to re-cert their class every 5 years. Other residents & non residents need to only have one class ever.

This is pretty standard licensing that is probably typical of 30 other states, but not 100% standard. ME does not require your pic on a liscense. ME doesn't require fingerprints either. Of course, ME doesn't require you to write an essay (like MA) or plead before a handgun board (IL?) or require you to be a Beautiful Person (NYC).

Long story short, ME honors no out of state permits. No states that maintain reciprocity lists honor ME permits. The only states that do honor ME permits are states that have blanket statements honoring any out of state permit (like AZ, UT, OK)

Nobody up here can see the forest through the trees.... The good side is the senate subcomitte (Pub Safety) is pretty smart and 85% believe in your rights to own and carry guns.

Nobody up here can see the forest through the trees.... The good side is the senate subcomitte (Pub Safety) is pretty smart and 85% believe in your rights to own and carry guns.
    Thats good to know. I look forward to carrying while visiting up there. Hopefully I'll have it before July 17th... the day we leave to head up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Thats good to know. I look forward to carrying while visiting up there. Hopefully I'll have it before July 17th... the day we leave to head up.
    If you don't get it by then, swing by my place and I'll hold them for you while you are here! I am just over the NH border.
    Nill illigitimi carborundum
    -----------------------------
    Captain von Trapp: If the Nazis take over Austria, I have no doubt, Herr Zeller, that you will be the entire trumpet section.
    Herr Zeller: You flatter me, Captain.
    Captain von Trapp: Oh, how clumsy of me - I meant to accuse you.

Actually, open carry is legal in maine - but may draw some attraction.

Actually, open carry is legal in maine - but may draw some attraction.
    I'm going with my parents, wife and kids. My dad could care less he is very pro-gun. My stepmom is meh... so so. She'd have a fit if I just walked around with a gun on. Her brother killed himself with a gun... so since then she's been a little about them. I really don't argue with her about it.

It looks like there's a run on Maine NR permits, I sent mine in April 1. I'll report back on how long it takes to get.
    I just got it in the mail today, 83 days after I sent the application in. Funny thing is the issue date is today. Very good guess on their part on mail time.

The letter that accompanied the license stated that mine is the new style, and that I should sign the back on receipt.
    Rob - The Erstwhile Vermont Fat Ba*d

We had an NRA lawyer present - wish I could remeber his name - but he prepared a list of 50 states and what the permit requirements were.

ME requires a background check, both criminal and mental (from the two ME assylums), requires the applicant to be 'of good moral charachter', and to have a basic pistol class. Some residents need to re-cert their class every 5 years. Other residents & non residents need to only have one class ever.

This is pretty standard licensing that is probably typical of 30 other states, but not 100% standard. ME does not require your pic on a liscense. ME doesn't require fingerprints either. Of course, ME doesn't require you to write an essay (like MA) or plead before a handgun board (IL?) or require you to be a Beautiful Person (NYC).

Long story short, ME honors no out of state permits. No states that maintain reciprocity lists honor ME permits. The only states that do honor ME permits are states that have blanket statements honoring any out of state permit (like AZ, UT, OK)

Requirements sound similiar to WV. The mental health check? I'm assuming that means they can find out through records that you're a loon,not that you have to go to a shrink and be certified "not a loon"?
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Requirements sound similiar to WV. The mental health check? I'm assuming that means they can find out through records that you're a loon,not that you have to go to a shrink and be certified "not a loon"?
    Correct. Part of the application is a release that allows them to check with the Maine mental institutions to see if you have a record there.
    Rob - The Erstwhile Vermont Fat Ba*d

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links