Maine Non-resident

Maine Non-resident

This is a discussion on Maine Non-resident within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I contacted the Maine state police and they weren't too much of a help, so hopefully some folks can help me here. I'm going to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Maine Non-resident

I contacted the Maine state police and they weren't too much of a help, so hopefully some folks can help me here. I'm going to Maine with some family at the end of the summer and I want to get a Maine non-resident permit so I can carry while i'm there. I'm taking an NRA certified gun safety course this upcoming weekend as required by Maine law in order to get a permit. I've looked on carryconcealed.net for the application... It has a checklist of things I need, and I'm even more confused now maybe someone can help me here. http://mainegov-images.informe.org/d...%20package.pdf

1. What are Authority to Release Information Forms?
    2. How long does this take to get?
    3. What is off limits in Maine?

1) The Authority to Release Information forms are in that packet that you linked above - if you scroll down to page 8 of that PDF you will find the Release Forms.
    2) State law says they have 60 days to issue a NR permit. Of course, they also say they have 30 days to issue a resident permit, and the investigator doing mine dropped the ball on that one, took more like 34. Someone else may have to answer this one for sure.
    3) Off limits:
    Courthouses
    School grounds
    Baxter State Park - firearms must be unloaded and in a trunk/locked up
    Places licensed to serve alcohol for consumption on premises - but ONLY if they have a sign posted in a manner reasonably likely to come to the attention of its patrons. (Note: this is the only posted sign that has legal force and effect in ME)
    ETA:
    Also, carry (but apparently not possession) is restricted in the Capitol Area in Augusta to on-duty police officers:
    http://www.maine.gov/sos/cec/rules/16/219/219c041.doc
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

Semper Vigilans et Paratus

Lightbulb

I currently have a Maine non resident permit.

Authority to Release Information Forms are pages 8 -10 included in the download-able application form to run background checks.

As far as off limits theres some info starting on page 28 but I suggest you review the whole document linked below.

Concealed Firearms Booklet is available for download (PDF)

Be accurate. I had some incorrect information on my application & it delayed my application significantly. Had I not called them it would have stayed in the mistakes pile a lot longer. The detective I spoke to was very friendly & he allowed me to correct the issue whereas he could have just denied me. They will validate your information from your home state. Hope this helps

+1 on everything blackbear said and welcome to maine. where you going while you are here? there are a few fun things to see and a few cool gun shops to visit.

I had a similar experience to blackbear but not as bad. The local PD changed secretaries on me and it took about 90 days instead of the usual 30. In regards to off limits area I thought the post office or any federal building. Is that not the case?(I'd rather be wrong on this)

Welcome to Maine and forgive my fellow Mainers if they are a little cold. Some just aren't much for people from away. Where ya headed?
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Bangor and Bar Harbor area. I have an aunt and uncle in Bangor, and my folks have a timeshare cabin near Bar Harbor.

Neat I'm about 40 minutes north of Bangor.

Gun Shops:
    Van Raymond Outfitters
    Old Town Trading Post
    Maine Military Supply

There are some smaller shops around. There's a lot of Saturday Night shops in Maine. Those are the biggies. Hope you find time to visit.

Not sure but thought I'd throw it out there, If you are of the Christian persuasion and would like to find a place to worship/attend while in the area I reccomend Calvary Chapel Central Maine (Calvary Chapel Bangor Maine - Calvary Chapel Bangor). Again just throwing out there if you are interested if not, no biggy.
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

Huh, I guess I do come across kind of cold at 0530.
    By all means, welcome to Maine! I love this place, and hope never to leave.

Good luck on your permit, and your vacation. I vacation every other year in Bar Harbor. (Well, Southwest Harbor, but you get the idea)

Something I would point out (whch I never thought about until we started having the "Guns in National Parks discussion" is that Mount Desert Island (where Bar Harbor is) is about half National Park. Here is a Map to give you an idea. As you can see, the town of Bar Harbor itself is not in the ANP, but you have to go through it to get there and all the good stuff (Cadillac, the loop road) is in the park. Just something to keep in mind.

Welcome again, and if you have any more questions, by all means let us know
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

Semper Vigilans et Paratus

Have fun here in Maine. Bar Harbor through Bangor is a cool area. I guarantee that you will like it.

To Bline: I also live about 40 minutes north of Bangor right off 95. I'm going to go to Van Raymond outfitters this weekend (weather permitting) to sign up for the handgun safety course. I just turned 18and I have been anxious to get my CCW.

jschweick90 you will like the class at van raymonds Charlie is one heck of a guy very good and makes it fun as well. also make shore to get there a little early and go upstairs and chat with Rick he is a great guy as well and a wealth of knowledge.

Yeah I'm kicking myself for not calling earlier this month to get signed up for the course that is currently going on. So I guess I will just stop by this Saturday to sign up for Aprils class.

I have my non maine ltc it took about 2 and half month to get it.

welcome to maine. maine sucks, have fun.

dealing direct with the state police goes prettry quick ~20-30 days. They are much faster than the towns that some ME residents have to deal with.

ME is an open carry state, but you are better off to not carry open. CCW is required in a bar (no open carry).

Blackbear, where can you cite the posted/alcohol rules ?

Shizzlemah: I found some info from the MSP site on the Concealed weapons booklet. Page 28. 17-A M.R.S.A. 1057

http://mainegov-images.informe.org/d...%20Booklet.pdf

17-A M.R.S.A. 1057, Possession of firearms in an establishment licensed for onpremises
    consumption of liquor
    1. A person is guilty of criminal possession of a firearm if:
    A. Not being a law enforcement officer or a private investigator licensed under
    Title 32, chapter 89 and actually performing as a private investigator, the person
    possesses any firearm on the premises of a licensed establishment posted to prohibit
    or restrict the possession of firearms in a manner reasonably likely to come to the
    attention of patrons,
    in violation of the posted prohibition or restriction; or
    B. While under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs or a combination of
    liquor and drugs or with an excessive blood-alcohol level, the person possesses a
    firearm in a licensed establishment.
    2. For the purposes of this section, "licensed establishment" means a licensed
    establishment as defined by Title 28-A, section 2, subsection 15, the license for which is
    held by an on-premise retail licensee, as defined by Title 28-A, section 2, subsection 27,
    paragraph B. For the purposes of this section, "premises" has the same meaning as set
    forth in Title 28-A, section 2, subsection 24.
    3. It is not a defense to a prosecution under subsection 1 that the person holds a
    permit to carry a concealed firearm issued under Title 25, chapter 252.
    Good job. I have read that a thousand times before but never noticed one comma. I stand corrected!

I've been to my share of bars but have never seen one posted.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links