A distinguishing factor - Page 2

A distinguishing factor

This is a discussion on A distinguishing factor within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by grnzbra Ideally, you'd get some training. However, reality,practicality etc can prevent that. However, there is a lot of published material out there. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A distinguishing factor

Quote Originally Posted by grnzbra
    Ideally, you'd get some training. However, reality,practicality etc can prevent that. However, there is a lot of published material out there.
    I appreciate the response. I do read as much as I can (I have been considering some videos) and certainly the information on this board has opened my eyes to many issues, options and such. Thanks to everyone here, I now have a BOB and SHTF bag and am making other decisions regarding what firearms I keep. I have been swayed by recent discussions concerning weapons that share common parts like mags. Something to think about. It is also very obvious to anyone who might read the posts here, that you all take the responsibility of carrying a weapon very seriously.
    Last edited by XD40; October 3rd, 2005 at 09:51 AM. Reason: spelling

Senior Moderator
    One of many interesting Bible verses on self-defense:
    2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed;
    3 but if it happens after sunrise, he is guilty of bloodshed.

And Nehimiah 4 is a "blueprint" for a corporate (family, community, etc.) plan of self-defense. Notice if the "builders", "carried".

You know, my biggest nightmare is a face off situation where the BG has a hostage. What do you do? If you don't drop your weapon, the BG say's he will shoot the hostage (may have already shot others, so the threat is credable). If you DO drop your weapon, you are now helpless and you and the hostage may be shot anyway. If I were absolutely, 100% certain that the BG would walk away if I surrendered my weapon, I would consider it. However, as far as I know, there are very, very few 100% guarantees in life and a BG with a gun and a hostage is not the most reliable of situations to be accepting someones word of honor.

For me, I suppose it all revolves around the safety of myself and of others. I have always said that I would NEVER surrender my weapon to a BG of my own free will. Once I did, I would just be another victim for the taking with no bargaining chip or means of self defense. Still, if a BG had a gun to my wife's or one of my childrens head and the BG said drop the gun or the hostage will be shot, I would have to think about the possibility of doing as he said. Tough call, to say the least!
    Last edited by rachilders; October 4th, 2005 at 03:26 PM. Reason: typo
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Assistant Administrator
    ra - the one thing that should apply in a hostage situation is that a BG with even just a single brain cell must know that if he were to shoot a hostage, he is most certainly next in line for a bullet. Unless he is planning suicide, he has few options - tho that does not help you or me when faced with a loved one being held.

It is truly a nightmare scenario - but one which does require some thought.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Rachilders,
    Regarding hostages and giving up your gun: Try reading a book called "The Onion Field". It involves cops, not civilians, but the lessons to be learned are the same.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo
    Rachilders,
    Regarding hostages and giving up your gun: Try reading a book called "The Onion Field". It involves cops, not civilians, but the lessons to be learned are the same.
    Gonzo
    You mean that's all you're going to tell us!

Come on, what happened?

In his lecture at Thunder Ranch, Clint talks about hostage situations. His point was the only thing keeping the hostage and you alive is your gun. But once the hostage taker has you disarmed, he has you totally under his control.

If you don't give up your gun, he may indeed try to shoot you or the hostage or both, but at least if you have your gun you'll have something to "say" about it. If you have surrendered your gun the very same thing may happen and there's less you can do about it.

Clint's advice was never, never surrender your gun. Unfortunately that doesn't mean people won't be killed, but surrendering your gun doesn't protect them either.

I have always believed that you NEVER give up your weapon if you have the option not to do so. Still, it would be a tough call if I (or anyone else I know for that matter) were put in the situation of having to make the call if a hostage were involved, especially a family member or friend. I'd like to think I have the guts to call the BG's bluff, but I'd also have to decide if I would be able to live with the consequences if it turned out he wasn't bluffing... damned if you do, damned if you don't!
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links