The wait is almost over (Rant)

This is a discussion on The wait is almost over (Rant) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok. Here's the story... February 10th my wife and I took our CC class at Great Guns in Kearney, MO (Very good class BTW). Then ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The wait is almost over (Rant)

Angry The wait is almost over (Rant)

Ok. Here's the story...

February 10th my wife and I took our CC class at Great Guns in Kearney, MO (Very good class BTW). Then the following Tuesday (the 12th) we went to the Jackson County Sheriffs department to turn in our applications and get printed, etc.. We payed $100 each and just have to wait for the Sheriff to call us back.

Jump ahead to March 27th. Still no word from the Sheriff 44 days later. In Missouri the law says that the Sheriff SHALL issue within 45 days of the application being turned in. It also says that the Sheriff has to send in the background check within 3 days of receiving the application and then has to issue the license within 3 days of getting the background check back. If you don't hear from him after 45 days then you can call and he has to issue your permit even if he has not received the background check.

Here's the good part. The Jackson County Sheriff, Tom Phillips, is apparently anti concealed carry. The general consensus over at the Missouri carry forums is that though he has to issue, he makes it as difficult as possible by illegally sitting on the applications for the full 45 days.

Over in St. Louis County (very liberal), the average turn around time for the licence is about 3 weeks last I heard. So how is it that they can get a FBI background check back so quickly, but in Jackson County the same check takes 39+ days...

Tomorrow is 45 days so I can call and have the Sheriff issue the license, but we can't pick them up until the next day. Tomorrow is also Friday, so it will be Monday before we can actually go pick them up (48 Days total). Just wrong.

The good news though, is that my wife and I will be enjoying some nachos from Wal-Mart on Monday.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Well that's a darn shame, it bites that he sat on them for so long, but remember better late than never.

Enjoy your nachos.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron4_6 View Post
    The good news though, is that my wife and I will be enjoying some nachos from Wal-Mart on Monday.
    While that is good news, the real good news is that Sheriff Phillips will not be running again.

Vote for John Bullard! Sgt. Bullard has appeared at several Western Missouri Shooters Association meetings. He's an honest, reasonable guy, who believes American's have the right to firearms for self defense.

John Bullard for Jackson County, MO Sheriff
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Ok. Here's the story...

February 10th my wife and I took our CC class at Great Guns in Kearney, MO (Very good class BTW). Then the following Tuesday (the 12th) we went to the Jackson County Sheriffs department to turn in our applications and get printed, etc.. We payed $100 each and we are just waiting for the Sheriff to call us back.

Jump ahead to March 27th. Still no word from the Sheriff 44 days later. In Missouri the law says that the Sheriff SHALL issue within 45 days of the application being turned in. It also says that the Sheriff has to send in the background check within 3 days of receiving the application and then has to issue the license within 3 days of getting the background check back. If you don't hear from him after 45 days then you can call and he has to issue your permit even if he has not received the background check.

Here's the good part. The Jackson County Sheriff, Tom Phillips, is apparently anti concealed carry. The general consensus over at the Missouri carry forums is that though he has to issue, he makes it as difficult as possible by sitting on the applications for the full 45 days.

Over in St. Louis County (very liberal county), the average turn around time for the licence is about 3 weeks last I heard. So how is it that they can get a FBI background check back so quickly, but in Jackson County the same check takes 39+ days...

Tomorrow is 45 days so I can call and have the Sheriff issue the license, but we can't pick them up until the next day and tomorrow is Friday, so it will be Monday before we can actually go pick them up (48 Days total). Just wrong.

Same thing in NC. The Sheriffs generally don't mind, but I have found the one in Mecklenburg CO. to be a PITA. To get a purchase permit, it is ALWAYS right on the 30th day (the max allowed). The carry permits are the same way, the MAX allowed.

Sounds like you should do what you are doing and get on them.

Quote Originally Posted by cmidkiff View Post
    While that is good news, the real good news is that Sheriff Phillips will not be running again.

Vote for John Bullard! Sgt. Bullard has appeared at several Western Missouri Shooters Association meetings. He's an honest, reasonable guy, who believes American's have the right to firearms for self defense.

One of my good friends happens to be John's son. And yes, I am definitely voting for him!
    Last edited by Aaron4_6; March 27th, 2008 at 04:59 PM.

Here's the good part. The Jackson County Sheriff, Tom Phillips, is apparently anti concealed carry. The general consensus over at the Missouri carry forums is that though he has to issue, he makes it as difficult as possible by illegally sitting on the applications for the full 45 days.
    So when is this Sheriff next up for election?
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Phillips isn't running for re-election (thank goodness). The election is august 5th.

A forty-five day wait is better than many other places...but it is a shame that the sheriff has to play games.

Congrats is just around the corner...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My wife & i were both lucky as the background checks came back in 2-3 weeks, the sucky part was that our county makes you go in front of a gun board & they only meet once a month

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    A forty-five day wait is better than many other places...but it is a shame that the sheriff has to play games.

Congrats is just around the corner...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    I'm not really upset about the 45 days. If I knew it would be 45 days I would just kick back and wait, but knowing that I shouldn't have to wait that long just kinda tweaks me.

I just called on mine in Cuyahoga County, Ohio. It's finally in the mail.

Total time before I expect it....about 55 days....They origionally told me about 3 weeks... Anticipating it, I was looking for it every day, figuring today's the day......Like a kid on Christmas.... My friend who took the training with me, received his in about 8 days in the adjacent county. I applied 3 days before he did.

Considering Cleveland's murder rate, rampant thug crime, overall destitution and poor services... no wonder everyone is leaving..... Just about par for the course

You know, as bad as some of the carry laws are here in Ohio, I have to admit that we have it pretty good for some things.

Edit: at least for some parts of the state after reading the previous poster.

You guys have it easy, here in Upstate NY it took six and a half months to get my NYS Concealed Carry License.
    S&W CS45 .45 ACP
    Sig P6 9mm
    Ruger P95DC 9mm
    Bersa Thunder CC .380
    Llama XV .22 semi auto mini 1911

In SC I was told to expect the full 90 day wait. I got it in 60 days mailbox to mailbox. I applied for a NH permit and their web site said that if I didn't have it in 3 weeks to call and check. It took 7 weeks. I assume that it has been at least 21 years for you so far, so another few days is tolerable. <ducking from flying debris> :)

Quote Originally Posted by cmidkiff View Post

This is fantastic news!

Plan B

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links