CBS News Story - Utah Campus Carry

This is a discussion on CBS News Story - Utah Campus Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Did anyone else see the story about the students carrying on Utah College Campuses? To quote the reporter "There is no requirement of marksmanship, so ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CBS News Story - Utah Campus Carry

CBS News Story - Utah Campus Carry

Did anyone else see the story about the students carrying on Utah College Campuses?

To quote the reporter "There is no requirement of marksmanship, so the person carrying that gun, may have no idea how to use it".. They also had Campus Police Chief on saying "it would be more difficult to tell the real threat from the one that isn't"

Of course they had to put their version of "pro gun" slant on it at the very tail end, and much shorter than the rest of the story!

For those on the west cost it hasn't aired yet.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

Would you expect more from the liberal media?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The campus police may have been corrcet, in theory, about not being able to seperate the identity of the perp. and the self defender.

However, by the time the campus police or any other LEO could arrive it would be over.

I probably don't need to point this out, but....

I have a UT CC permit. You do have to pass a marksmanship requirement. I think it was 25 hits on 25 yard target set out at 5 yards within 40 attempts.

But, like what's been said - what do you expect form the media.

Quote Originally Posted by macano View Post
    In our hometown newspaper we've been discussing the new state law that is being sponsored to make it illegal to release the names of permit holders to the public. Other newspapers and anti-gunners have used this information to build websites with the names of people who have permits. This allows bad guys to get a shopping list of places they can hit to steal guns.

The paper reported that 20,000 people had concealed carry permits in our county. That might be true but all but a few of them are restricted to hunting and target shooting. I know, I have one of them.

This little factoid was not reported making it appear that a lot more people were carrying concealed.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member

I have a UT CC permit. You do have to pass a marksmanship requirement. I think it was 25 hits on 25 yard target set out at 5 yards within 40 attempts.

In the media's mind, every anti-firearms person is an "expert"; every pro-firearms person is a "fanatic."

RE:

Good points, Its creates a catch .45 lol Death by crazed gunman, death by police officer. If the officers didnt just shoot anybody with a gun and followed a more common sense rule of engagment, i wouldnt mind the whole scenerio... Also one must take into consideration iraq vets that are now becoming ever so common leos....their rules of engagment [in combat] are basically gun...dead person... lets hope theres no PTSD ... no dissin just stating, its a bad situation on both continents.

Who elese feels frustrated?
    Last edited by kf4uel; March 28th, 2008 at 01:17 AM. Reason: clarification
    "What if? If not, who needs seatbelts, life rafts, and fire extingishers. Sure theres other ways, if thats what you want... I know ill be alive, dry, and not on fire!"

G17, G19, G36, PPK/S
    Support the right - www.vcdl.org

"it would be more difficult to tell the real threat from the one that isn't"

I guess it would be more difficult if the non-threats weren't dead or running away.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Sure they could identify the perp... He'd be the one riddled with holes. The carrier would be the one standing over the body with a cell phone and a holstered weapon.

Police response times don't matter unless there is an officer within seconds of the shooting. Even then, unarmed campus police don't count. Sadly... these situations are typically resolved one way or another by the time the police can arrive.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Don't forget you have all the other survivors in the room that are credible witnesses even though they were hiding under the desk. One of them is bound to see the original shooter.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Don't forget you have all the other survivors in the room that are credible witnesses even though they were hiding under the desk. One of them is bound to see the original shooter.
    I think those people will be yelling "Man with a gun!" and pointing at their savior.

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar

I didn't have to do a live fire test when I got my UT permit last year.
    Last edited by ElMonoDelMar; March 28th, 2008 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Spelling

TyC

This isnt true. There is no shooting requirement. The coarse instructor may have had you do it, but it's not required by law.
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

For those who may have missed it, the person featured in the story is a member of SigForum. Go over to their site, and in the Sig Pistols section, find the thread 'Shooting my Sig on National TV Tonight'. It includes a link to the story.

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Did anyone else see the story about the students carrying on Utah College Campuses?
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
    find the thread 'Shooting my Sig on National TV Tonight'. It includes a link to the story.
    No I haven't do you have a link to post here?
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links