Carry quandary

This is a discussion on Carry quandary within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am scheduled for a business trip to Virginia and my home state has reciprocity with said state, however I am contractor visiting a military ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry quandary

Carry quandary

I am scheduled for a business trip to Virginia and my home state has reciprocity with said state, however I am contractor visiting a military facility. Do I suck it up and leave my carry gun at home? I cannot fathom any terms where I could safeguard it in a hotel room. Any advice? Thanks again.

James

2. Remove Ads

Can you secure it in your car and taxi to the base/post?

Sadly, that's the only alternative I can suggest. I wouldn't leave it in a hotel room either. I recently had a two week business trip to Boston and had to drive up and stay in Cambridge unarmed. I hated it.

Which military facility are you going to?
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

JD
    Administrator
    Do you have a care safe like a Center of Mass safe? You could possible secure that in the hotel room. Loop it around the pipe work and stash it in a suitcase under the sink.

some hotels have room safes you can enter your own code in to open it,or if you lock it in a case the hotel usually has a safe for guests valables
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

All the hotel maids have the master combination, that's how it gets reset for the next guest.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Check with the front desk at your destination. Many motels/hotels of any size have a two-key safe similar to a bank safe deposit box. You can leave your weapon in the safe during the day and pull it back out when you get back in the afternoon.

Darren

VIP Member
    Yes, unless you can put a safe in your room.

Woodstock

Naval Security Activities in Chesapeake, VA.

One thing I can say for sure is you DO NOT want to get caught with a weapon on a Military base. They can search your vehicle at ANY time without probable cause or anything else. We used to search vehicles just to train new guys. And you agree to it by coming on the base.

My card lets me stay at military facilities when we vacation travel. Before arrival I unload and lock it in a COM style box. I declare it at the gate and the routine varies, but I end up storing it overnight in an armory.

I can't tell you if all facilities offer this, but as pointed out above, you can be searched at any time--I've witnessed searches, they are thorough, so don't even think about it. Get caught and you spend time with Bubba....

It could turn out to be a runaround, but you could always call ahead and explain your situation.

Good luck.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4 View Post
    It could turn out to be a runaround, but you could always call ahead and explain your situation.
    Good idea. That's what I'd do. The worst they can say is no.

I wouldn't feel bad about leaving it in a room safe. I've done this several times and never had anything tampered with. Most of the room safes in the motels I stay in have key locks. (not that there couldn't be a master key) I've just never had anything taken from a safe.

The other alternative would be to leave it in the motel office safe. They would be hard pressed explaining how it got stolen from the office safe.

Just place it in a some sort of locking container so they can't let curiosity get the best of them before letting them put it in the office safe.

Also make sure you have the serial number of your gun written down for a police report if it does get stolen.

There comes a point where people get too paranoid about gun theft.

I would not just leave my gun at home and not have a means to defend myself when I'm traveling and on the road just because I'm afraid it may get stolen out of a motel safe. That's just crazy.

If my gun does get stolen out of a safe in the motel/hotel, my insurance will cover the loss, and I have made every effort reasonable to secure it, so I won't feel responsible for a loose gun on the streets.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Call ahead I am fixing to deal with the some what the same situation except I work on post. I am just going to have to declare it and drop it off at a frieds house. I usually never go straight home after work so it is just a little bit easier that way.
    SAPPERS BREACH BUTT NAKED

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting hunting is not supporting the 2nd Amendment !

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4 View Post
    My card lets me stay at military facilities when we vacation travel. Before arrival I unload and lock it in a COM style box. I declare it at the gate and the routine varies, but I end up storing it overnight in an armory.
    I work on a base, and get randomly searched at the gate 2 or 3 times a year. Last time I was searched, I had my COM box in a storage area in the way-back of my SUV. It was closed, but unlocked and empty. The guard opened the storage area, with the COM box and a binocular case. He didn't look in either! I briefly considered offering the young guard a little training on what the COM box was for, but didn't want to invite future undue attention.

I've done as JD suggests, leaving the gun locked up and cabled to something fixed in the hotel room.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

VIP Member

Hotel safes

I've stayed in a lot of hotel rooms that have a little safe that works electrically and you create/use your own combination. They seem to work pretty well, they sure are better than nothing.

A couple of weeks ago I was staying at a hotel that had one in the room. The previous guest is supposed to leave the little safe door open upon checking out, but didn't, so the safe door was locked up for me. Of course I didn't know the code and couldn't get in it. I thought I'd be clever and try a few random numbers, and after a few failed attempts, the electronics on the safe "timed out" and wouldn't let me continue trying.

I wanted to use the safe to lock up a few things but couldn't, so I called the front desk. They sent a "security guy" up with a little hand-held computer device that plugged into a port below the handle. He entered some codes etc, in his hand-held device, and after a couple of minutes the safe unlocked. BTW the previous guest did not leave it locked full of BBQ pistols for me.....it was empty. The security guy says that kids generally are the ones that lock it when they leave.

I've often wondered how they open those safes when a guest forgets the combination he chose. So if you find your hotel safe open and the contents missing, it's likely going to be someone with the hand-held device. The next big question now is about the hand-held device? Is is accessible by other hotel workers? Does the user enter a passcode for it to function? Could a stranger navigate the commands? Can it be stolen and used on hotel safes at other locations? I'd like to think that it is programmed to only open the safes at that particular hotel.

I hope they don't sell them on eBay !
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links