Glasses? Do you 'maintain'' them? - Page 2

Glasses? Do you 'maintain'' them?

This is a discussion on Glasses? Do you 'maintain'' them? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 800-900# of wheel weights - NICE!! Doubt my stash these days is much over 500 # but do have raw lead, tin and some linotype ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Glasses? Do you 'maintain'' them?

Assistant Administrator
    800-900# of wheel weights - NICE!!

Doubt my stash these days is much over 500 # but do have raw lead, tin and some linotype left too - so some alloying possible to increase a bit. Haven't found any freebie wheel weights in way too long.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Spouse says that the thousands of # of lead I've melted over three decades is the cause of my bad eyesight. The brain ain't far behind, either, so to what purpose would $$ prescription glasses serve, anyway? Ventilation is the key. Ventilate the casting furnace. Ventilate the BG.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    I'm fortunate that I can see pretty well without my glasses. I could probably pass the road sign test and vision test at DMV without them, but when you wear them in they put you down as restricted anyway. So maintaining them isn't really an issue for me from a readiness/shooting perspective. I have shot without corrective lenses (with safety glasses) and did fine. I just had to "see" if I could do it you know.

-Scott-

VIP Member
    I have terrible vision without corrective lenses. I had glasses until last December, and then I switched to contacts. I would check my glasses often, since it's so easy to lose a tiny screw. I also kept my older pair as backups, and had the "buy one get one free" deal, and my second pair was sunglasses (Transitions darkening lenses on my first pair don't work inside a vehicle behind the glass).

My horrible prescription, with the thinnest lenses they could make, were still incredibly thick and cost me over $600. I finally got tired of having distorted vision at the sides of my lenses, and checked out contacts. Now I've got even vision no matter where my eyeballs are pointed, I pay half the amount I did before, and I can wear proper eye protection without forking over hundreds more for prescription shooting glasses.

There are some tactical advantages of having contacts over glasses: no lens fogging and you can't have your vision snatched off your face. I hate lens fogging, and had to constantly remember to use anti-fog stuff after I cleaned my glasses. My brother and I would fistfight all the time in our younger days, and I would yank his glasses off. His sudden lack of good vision gave him momentary confusion and me an advantage. Another advantage is that with even one contact in, I can see better than if I had only one glasses lens on.

A disadvantage is the time it takes to put contact lenses in. I keep my glasses by my nightstand in case of sudden events in the night. I also keep a spare set of contacts in my purse (I wear disposables).

I've heard one person say, "contact lenses keep pepper spray out of your eyes." Baloney, and my former roomate can second that. She ended up in the slammer once and was maced in the face, and those lenses didn't help a bit.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I've got those progressive Bi-focals yet I look over the top of them when I shoot.......The glasses are mainly used for reading, but also for close work. I find I shoot best without them, sooooooooooo over the top I shoot LOL

I have astigmatism, but my eye sight isn't that bad at 25y (its not good either). I mainly use contacts. I find only one nice thing about shooting with glasses. It counts as eye protection at the range. I find contacts better otherwise, especially when hunting. When hunting glasses are a pain to use with a scope, they can fog up, pulse I get a wider range of vision.
    Last edited by gregarat; October 2nd, 2005 at 05:03 AM.

VIP Member
    I have astigmatism in my right eye. My contact lens corrects for it, but the way it's designed gives me weird halo effects to lights in the dark, but only in the left half of the right eye. Luckily, it doesn't affect my ability to use my EoTech holosight on my AR.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I used to wear glasses, now my vision is better and I dont need corrective lenses. However, my vision is bad enough that they wouldnt hurt... I'll get around to it one of these days. Thankfully my employer will fork over the money (or most of it?) for prescription safety glasses.

I currently work graveyard shift, I have for years. As a result, my eyes are sensative to light, and I think it would be a safe bet that me and my sunglasses are a lot like you folks and your prescription glasses. I check my daytime eyes on a regular basis. I even keep one of the small srewdrivers in my wallet (well, some of it - I broke the handle off to make it easier to carry). I always have a paperclip in there as well. My primary pair goes with me always, backup pair in my truck, another backup pair in the house. Z87.1 sunglasses as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links