Disney again.

This is a discussion on Disney again. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I stayed at the Regal Sun Resort, not a block away from Downtown Disney, Last weekend. It was a good place, LE presence all around ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Disney again.

I stayed at the Regal Sun Resort, not a block away from Downtown Disney, Last weekend. It was a good place, LE presence all around the area, and I carried the whole time with no issues.
    It's actually a really good place to walk around, shop a little, etc. Also pretty good restraunts around, although we went down International Drive looking for a diffrent place every night......be wary once you get away from the "touristy" areas.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joleary223 View Post
    I did the search and found good info, no detectors, thin backstop ect...but I have one question that I'm hoping an Orlando member or recent visitor can answer for me. Downtown Disney, What's the area like? My wife is dragging me and the boy to Orlando next weekend and she plans on Downtown Disney for the first night. I have no intention on carrying anything but OC and a knife to the park but Downtown Disney at night....I'm thinking I might want to Carry a little more. Opinions please.
    Downtown Disney is like a really nice strip mall. As for gated security there was none when I went. That was in 03'. Concealing would not be difficult, nor illegal. I would advise against OC-ing in Florida, I'm pretty sure its illegal there.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    I stayed at the Regal Sun Resort, not a block away from Downtown Disney, Last weekend. It was a good place, LE presence all around the area, and I carried the whole time with no issues.
    It's actually a really good place to walk around, shop a little, etc. Also pretty good restraunts around, although we went down International Drive looking for a diffrent place every night......be wary once you get away from the "touristy" areas.
    +1 to that - I-drive at night gets a bit thuggy.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Downtown Disney is a nice place to shop. Not a lot to do otherwise. You will be done with the area within a hour 2 max. Unless your wife is a shopalohic. Disney is like no other in the world. The disney property is 52-54 square miles(depends on who you ask).With all the hotel and parks and everything they the only using 1/3 of the property so far. They are talking about adding a 5th park just for adults. $250.00 addmission per day. It will open at 12.00pm and stay open until 2AM called something like Dark Kingdom. There are something like 400 different web sites honoring the Mouse.
    Disney owns a huge parcel of land here. When Disneyland was built in California, all manner of neon-festooned hotels and tourist traps sprung up right outside the property. Walt Disney was despondent over the trashiness, and the intrusion of all those signs into the skyline of the park. He was determined to prevent that from happening to them every again.

So when they set out to build DisneyWorld, they set up shell corporations and employed loads of operational security measures so nobody would know it was Disney buying up all the land. They've only used about 1/3 of the land they have.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Disney owns a huge parcel of land here. When Disneyland was built in California, all manner of neon-festooned hotels and tourist traps sprung up right outside the property. Walt Disney was despondent over the trashiness, and the intrusion of all those signs into the skyline of the park. He was determined to prevent that from happening to them every again.

So when they set out to build DisneyWorld, they set up shell corporations and employed loads of operational security measures so nobody would know it was Disney buying up all the land. They've only used about 1/3 of the land they have.

Matt
    Walt got land locked with DisneyLand. The code name was Operation Orange Grove. Walt flew into and left from diffrent airports and made several stops on the way. If you look at the 2nd story windows on main street you can see the names of the people who worked on building the park. If walt came back to life today he would be amazed at what has been built and then drop dead to find out that they charge $8.00 for a hamburger. Walts idea was to build a park where the average family can go. but with the price of things the average family can not afford to go. Is anybody intrested on how to save money at Disney?

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Is anybody intrested on how to save money at Disney?
    I sure was a week and a half ago! I have to start stockpiling funds for a new 1911 all over again
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Going to post the Disney info at off topic discussions. Ok

I thought I would at least give my opinion of the trip to finish off this thread.
    Disney wasn't bad, my body feels like I've been on a forced march with the Corps, but other than that no problems. I never even got my hackles up over anyone or anything that happened while staying in the resort. I carried OC (on the car keys) and my tac light. I highly recommend taking a small flashlight with you, if your kids drop something inside a ride or a theater you will need it to find whatever it was that they can't live without and chances are you will leave the park in the dark. Take rain gear, it's Florida you will need it, but most of all take a sense of humor. Then enjoy the freak show, with all the people dragging screaming kids to and fro. I tried to find the " I'm grumpy because Walt took all my money shirt" but no dice, all in all it was a good time and my wife and son enjoyed themselves. I would have rather been on the couch but I kept that info to myself. Thanks for all the advice you guys gave me, it helped to ease my mind and make this trip a somewhat bearable.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

wait, you got a knife into the park? they let you do that? i thought metal detectors meant nothing metal but keys and change :/

Quote Originally Posted by mrhutch View Post
    wait, you got a knife into the park? they let you do that? i thought metal detectors meant nothing metal but keys and change :/
    No metal detectors. They search bags but not the person. You could carry concealed in the park if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by joleary223 View Post
    No metal detectors. They search bags but not the person. You could carry concealed in the park if you want.
    oh wow! i could have SWORN they had detectors on at least the magic kingdom when i was down there last.

to bad six flags has metal detectors--that's a park you NEED to carry around, at least to and from your car anyway! once your inside the gates i'm sure it's perfectly safe, but the parking lot after dark as kinda creepy. you can't carry to and from your car if you can't carry in the park!

You can CC in Disneyworld? If so that makes me feel more secure, I'm taking the family for Christmas this year.

Quote Originally Posted by jmm076 View Post
    You can CC in Disneyworld? If so that makes me feel more secure, I'm taking the family for Christmas this year.
    Not really.....

The Mouse is adamant, no weapons allowed. They will check all bags but there are no airport type metal detectors. There are however guards at all turnstyles and they have metal detecting wands that they will use randomly. Anyone caught with a weapon will be barred from entry.

Can you carry and get away with it? Sure. Might you get caught and have your vacation absolutely ruined? Yep to that too. Just be aware of the risks.......the Mouse doesn't mess around.

Ah so Downtown Disney only then? I won't risk my son's first trip there...

Yep, downtown Disney is just an overpriced shopping center. It's free to get into so it's perfect for half day excursions. No problem packing there. I didn't notice any wand metal detectors either. I only went to the Magic Kingdom though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links