Interesting situation today, made me think

This is a discussion on Interesting situation today, made me think within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That is the coolest commercial ever!!!!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting situation today, made me think

That is the coolest commercial ever!!!!
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    People on your call list are not for what ADT asked you to do... that was just plain stupid. The call list are for these reasons and these only;

To provide a key holder to open during an emergency or resecure the home after police have checked it out.

Another point of contact, you probablyhave a better idea where your neighbor is than ADT. You know what time and where they work, or if they went to Disney for the week. You also know if anybody is supposed to be home. If you dont know these things, get off the list or find out.

There are far to many false alarms, thats why police really are not all that interested in them. If companies like ADT and homeowners would do their parts, the alarm systems would work a lot better.
    "Just blame Sixto"

AEA
    The Alarm Monitoring Person who handled the Alarm DID NOT follow correct procedure in calling you and could have very well put your life in danger if you had followed their instructions. They have tapes of their calls and I would complain to them and possibly even file a lawsuit against them.

The correct procedure after receiving the alarm is to try to contact someone at the protected residence (in cases even sometimes the burglars!). If they do not get an answer or if they get someone who answers but does not know the correct "Code Word" to cancel a dispatch on the active alarm, they will then disconnect from the residence and immediately dispatch the local Police.

Once the Police have been dispatched, they will THEN start calling people on the "Contact List" until they reach one, and advise them of the situation. Their procedure DOES NOT authorize them to make recommendations on what to do and this dispatcher was out of line (or new) if this was done. The homeowner should have informed the people on their Contact List about what to do if they ever get a call from the Alarm Company.

How do I know all this? I used to be a Monitoring Supervisor at a Large (well known) National Alarm Company (not ADT) and wrote most of the policies myself! The operators have procedure manuals right there on their desk that lists all the steps to take (and what not to say/do) for each and every type of alarm the system handles.

I would complain and probably sue.

Administrator
    So if you tell me to lick the hot stove, and I'm dumb enough to do it, I should sue you?

Other than that, nice post.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post
    Geeez. Thanks for reminding me to never get an ADT alarm.
    So let me get this straight. ADT gets a notice that an alarm is going off and instead of doing what their suppose to do, they depend on YOU to look over there ( or go over there and put you in danger) and tell them if the boogie man is there. What a joke..
    I had an alarm once with a monitoring system and it was worth about as much as a bucket of mud. They're suppose to call the house where the alarm is and ask a secret question if anyone answers the phone. If no one answers they call the police. But instead, they call the house, apparently no one answers so they call the neighbors house. What a system.
    ADT has a protocol and does what the customer tells them to do.
    If the customer wants someone called they do that, if the customer wants the police call first they do that.

You and your neighbors need to have some kind of informal agreement regarding watching each other house, when youíre gone.

Whenever Iím leaving town, I tell my neighbors and ask them to look after things, and they do the same. And we each have keys/alarm codes for each others house.

If Iím just gone to work, they know our patterns and if something happens that is out of place one of them will always come investigate.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    In Texas you can use deadly force to protect you're neighbours property
    Go Texas...right to protect property?...neighbor's house...isn't that what rifles are made for?

On a serious note...my neighbor's house is not MY house...I'll just be a good witness.

Stay armed...be a good witness...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AH View Post
    But would you be allowed to shoot to protect the neighbours property?Would it be a different story if he started to come towards you?
    Not in Virginia, law says you must retreat if possible, use of deadly force is last resort. You are not permitted to use deadly force to protect property, only to save yourself or another from death or serious bodily harm.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    +1 that alarms are a waste.

You pay monthly fee of $36 for a company to "monitor" your house, yet they provide no immediate services or protection. The signs might offer some deterrent, so get some and put them in your yard.

I can never understand why people spend money on feel good, do nothing measures.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

To be fair they aren't TOTALLY useless. An alarm blaring is a deterrant... especially when you have a siren on the OUTSIDE of the house. It's also very good for when you're home.

I need to clarify my specific situation, too. After reading the exact policy of the local police, they WILL show up if more than one alarm is tripped. So if a window and a motion sensor both trip they'll show. That's okay, and better than nothing, but not what I originally thought I was paying for, and I would have installed more sensors had I known that.

My neighbor across the street from me is a good guy, even if he is a glock owner, and we've agreed to set each other up on mutual call lists, and when I figure out the video surveillance thing, I will point a camera at his house and he will point one at mine. His wife also happens to be Military PoPo... which is nice.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

FS,

I would have responded to the ADT guy;"Lets play it safe and have you send the police. If it is aburglar I don't want to be the one to catch them in the middle of their efforts and get caught up in it. If it's not a burglar and the neighbors kids came home or something then the police will be able to sort that out no problem. I'll stay here and keep an eye on things from here and will dial into 911 if burglars run out before the cops get here so as to provide a description." </Transmission>

Why play cop when you are not a cop just because the neighbors remote rental cop asked if you could do so?
    Your irreplaceable life or the neighbors insured sourced from WalMart 'stuff', what's most important and valuable...to you and your family.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    I think alarms are great if they make alot of noise. The monitoring services are a total waste of money.

If things had gone bad, and they very well could have. The scenarios are almost endless on what might have happened, and thankfully did not. I wonder would ADT have stepped up and said "yes, we requested the neighbor to go next door and check the house."
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

A few friends of mine while we're in college have gone door to door selling security systems for the summer in LA or Chicago and have wanted me to go with them. To be successful they have found that to sell a system they have to highlight the emotion and fear of someone breaking in and that with THEIR security system all fears will be alleviated and they can sleep easy at night. I personally don't believe thats the case, and i feel if i were to go sell something I'd have to believe in it 100%. i don't think people would take very well to a door to door gun salesman though? For anyone who sells security or has family who does the same, I'm not trying to bash on them. My family does have an alarm and it's been pretty useful as a second or third line, even just as a wake up for anyone here if someone is coming in the house... guaranteed anyone coming in trying to hurt someone in this house would not be leaving on their own strength. Everyone in the house including the my mother and sister all have guns within reach and know how to use them and what to do if someone's coming in the house. I personally feel that knowledge of, accessibility to, and ability with firearms are the best and most important protection you can have in your house!
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by FearSheeple View Post
    So I'm at home today watching TV. Had my hours in so i left work early. I get a call from ADT saying that my neighbors house alarm is going off, and I am on their call list. I say ok...I look out the window and the garage door is open, and no cars in the driveway...odd. They have 3 kids, and I thought i'd just heard a schoolbus go down the road so I figured it was their son.

The ADT person asks if i can go next door to look at the house, and see if my neighbor is home, otherwise they're dispatching the police. I think for a second...after just reading all kinds of posts here on DC, what if there is a BG in there, and he's armed? I take my CCW class Wednesday, so I currently have no CHL permit.

I step up to the garage door and think what the hell am I gonna do here if a BG comes out of the house, tell him to stop? I'd rather not be in that position in the first place. Even if i HAD my CHL, I shouldn't put my self in that position.

In any case it turns out it was just the kid got home from school, opened the door...freaked when the alarm went off..and ran to a neighbors house.

As a side note, after 18 minutes the police still had not arrived, but the home owner got home and called back to tell them not to send a unit out.

anyways, just thought it was interesting, and shocked that it took me walking up to the garage door to think that it was a bad idea to go up looking around in their house. Also made me realize how much time it would take for a LEO to arrive to my house if i needed help. I don't live in the sticks either, 5 min from a VFD and the PD is not much further than that.
    I know it is easy to be a monday morning quarterback, but if I read your post correctly you went to investigate unarmed because you don't have a CHL permit yet. Why not open carry a weapon(holstered) as you are in Virginia.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links