Interesting situation today, made me think - Page 3

Interesting situation today, made me think

This is a discussion on Interesting situation today, made me think within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The perfect response: 911 and be a good witness. I would also put my camera with telephoto lens to good use, but would not expose ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Interesting situation today, made me think

The perfect response: 911 and be a good witness. I would also put my camera with telephoto lens to good use, but would not expose myself to danger or liability.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by badger54 View Post
    I know it is easy to be a monday morning quarterback, but if I read your post correctly you went to investigate unarmed because you don't have a CHL permit yet. Why not open carry a weapon(holstered) as you are in Virginia.
    Well, to be frank... I didn't think about that. I had the ADT people on the phone, walked out my front door to their driveway...and stopped halfway up their driveway and turned around.

even if i HAD my CHL or was OC...I don't think i would've walked any closer, no reason to risk my life over some property. Plus VA doesn't have the same laws as texas in using lethal force in defense of property...

Quote Originally Posted by AH View Post
    But would you be allowed to shoot to protect the neighbours property?

You can in Texas. Deadly force is allowed after dark to protect your property, or another's property. Happened here in Dallas area just a couple of months ago. Older man calls 911 to report a breakin next door, while on the phone he sees the BG's leaving, goes out with a shotgun and shoots both. No charges, LE on tv later says they picked the wrong house to break into.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadoo View Post
    You can in Texas. Deadly force is allowed after dark to protect your property, or another's property. Happened here in Dallas area just a couple of months ago. Older man calls 911 to report a breakin next door, while on the phone he sees the BG's leaving, goes out with a shotgun and shoots both. No charges, LE on tv later says they picked the wrong house to break into.
    That guy had to go through a hell of a lot of trouble I remember reading though. I am glad to hear he wasn't charged, but they were definitely trying to!

AEA
    Anytime you kill another person (right or wrongly) you are going to go through a lot of trouble/expense, no matter what State you live in.

It is fortunate for us in Texas our laws are a bit more sensible. And once it is determined that you acted within the law, the troubles/expense are over.

AH
    Hmm..Maybe I have to think about moving to Texas after school..Just a little suprised that you would be allowed to shoot for someone else's property..But then again, I have head about worse..

AEA
    Well, to clarify for you .......

This is assuming you are a Texas CHL Holder and you always carry your pistol on you.......

You go to the neighbors house to investigate.......
    The BG is there and you tell him to stop what he is doing.......
    The BG is about twice your size and pulls a knife or a mouse gun on you or makes some other threatening jester that causes you to "Fear for your Life"..........

You draw and double tap to COM.........BG is down for the count......
    You call 911 and explain that shots have been fired and you need an ambulance and Police at xxxx address.........

You have followed all of Texas Rules (and then some, as you are not required to request the ambulance).

If it was a knife or gun that the BG pulled on you, your "trouble" is much less as you have just stopped a Armed (Felony) Burglary in progress.........

If he pulled nothing but advanced on you with or without picking up the tire iron in the garage, you will have some "trouble", but only as far as the Grand Jury. He was much bigger than you and in the process of committing a crime. You "Feared for your Life" and took necessary action due to disparity of force.

Ron
    I cancelled my ADT service for just those reasons. Still have the alarm, which I set when we leave the house. The alarm will still sound if there is an intrusion, which will often be enough to scare them off. Having the service was a waste of money. By the time the police arrive, the BG's are apt to be long gone.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

best home alarm i ever had was a boxer-collie mix. i could tell by the bark wether its a meal in the back yard or a BG at the door.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links