Interesting situation today, made me think

This is a discussion on Interesting situation today, made me think within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I'm at home today watching TV. Had my hours in so i left work early. I get a call from ADT saying that my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting situation today, made me think

So I'm at home today watching TV. Had my hours in so i left work early. I get a call from ADT saying that my neighbors house alarm is going off, and I am on their call list. I say ok...I look out the window and the garage door is open, and no cars in the driveway...odd. They have 3 kids, and I thought i'd just heard a schoolbus go down the road so I figured it was their son.

The ADT person asks if i can go next door to look at the house, and see if my neighbor is home, otherwise they're dispatching the police. I think for a second...after just reading all kinds of posts here on DC, what if there is a BG in there, and he's armed? I take my CCW class Wednesday, so I currently have no CHL permit.

I step up to the garage door and think what the hell am I gonna do here if a BG comes out of the house, tell him to stop? I'd rather not be in that position in the first place. Even if i HAD my CHL, I shouldn't put my self in that position.

In any case it turns out it was just the kid got home from school, opened the door...freaked when the alarm went off..and ran to a neighbors house.

As a side note, after 18 minutes the police still had not arrived, but the home owner got home and called back to tell them not to send a unit out.

anyways, just thought it was interesting, and shocked that it took me walking up to the garage door to think that it was a bad idea to go up looking around in their house. Also made me realize how much time it would take for a LEO to arrive to my house if i needed help. I don't live in the sticks either, 5 min from a VFD and the PD is not much further than that.

...or your, let's say, walking around their house checking on things with your gun drawn(just in case...) and the police NOW arrive.

A little awkward... maybe?

VIP Member
    Geeez. Thanks for reminding me to never get an ADT alarm.
    So let me get this straight. ADT gets a notice that an alarm is going off and instead of doing what their suppose to do, they depend on YOU to look over there ( or go over there and put you in danger) and tell them if the boogie man is there. What a joke..
    I had an alarm once with a monitoring system and it was worth about as much as a bucket of mud. They're suppose to call the house where the alarm is and ask a secret question if anyone answers the phone. If no one answers they call the police. But instead, they call the house, apparently no one answers so they call the neighbors house. What a system.

good point kentuckycarry...that is a stupid system...

I had a simmilar situation happen in November. My neighbor had took his kids to Florida. The first night they were gone his mom called me at 11:20 and said adt called and said his alarm was going off and asked if I could see if there was something happening or not. I thought maybe the wind had blown a door open. I went out with my baby eagle 40 drawn and ready just in case. Good thing because someone had taken a 4x4 post from the back porch and broke out a second floor window. I went back to my house and kept watching out the window and thought I saw someone standing by my mailbox. I had the wife turn out the lights. Then they started walking along the road and cut across my yard and started running up between the houses. I told the wife to call 911, while she was doing that I grabbed my 30-30 and started loading it while watching out the window next to the door. If they decided to try to come in my house they were not getting in. Finally the sheriff deputies got there (4 cars). The jerks were gone by this time. The wife told 911 that we had a key to the house they had me get in my car and drive over next door and give one of the deputies the key. I imediatly informed him I had a ccw permit and was armed and gave him the key. He checked my ccw licence and said he would get a statement from me later. When I returned home I saw a car in the neighbors driveway that was not normally there. I went back and told the deputy. It turns out that it was the thief's car. They said fingerprints from the house matched prints from the car. turns out the same guys had been arrested for road rage and carrying a concealed weapon without a permit a week earlier. They only questioned one of the two and and tried to get him to confess which he didn't. I don't know if they ever brought the other one in or not. I don't think they were even arrested. I seen them walking from near where they parked their car, seen them running towards the house and their fingerprints were supposed to have been in the house. All this and no arrest. Sound like its time for a new sheriff.

And.... in some cases, the police don't respond *AT ALL* to residential alarms -- as I found out the hard way. Urge your neighbor to call the police and ask what their policy is regarding residential alarms. They may be shocked to find out what I did.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

The Police....only minutes away when seconds count........

Sound like its time for a new sheriff
    Unless you live in Mayberry....

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Alarms are useless.

I love the current ADT alarm commercial. My wife and I were watching TV the other night and it came on.:
    The young couple is in their bed in the master bedroom surrounded by moving boxes. The female says "Was that a noise?" to which the male answers, "First night in the new house. Want me to go check?"

He gets up and goes to the top of the stairs and looks down at the front door that is at the bottom of the stair case. He sees a man kick the front door open breaking the door jam. What does this example of moder American masculinity do? He RUNS back to the bedroom, closes and locks the door and turns on the light while telling his wife he saw someone breaking in. The criminal however was scared off by the sounding alarm...what a crock. And the ADT employee calls and asks if everything is alright and informs them the police are on the way. Everything is right with the world.

Now, my wife, having just watched this says, "What a wimp that guy is! If that was you, they would have to put that bungler in the bag right where he kicked the door in. She must be really proud of her brave strong man, what with the way he ran to the bedroom and locked the door and hid like that!" I love this woman, I really do.

ADT, Brinks, any of the other hundreds of alarm companies are useless. All they will do is maybe call in time to listen to you being murdered if you rely on them for your safety.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; March 29th, 2008 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Deleted a language workaround.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

It would be interesting if the security alarm companies would join up with 2A, but then again, would we need an alarm company if everyone was armed and willing to stop the BG?

What a commercial that would make...

AH
    But would you be allowed to shoot to protect the neighbours property?Would it be a different story if he started to come towards you?

In Texas you can use deadly force to protect you're neighbours property
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

ADT...

We have ADT but ours is set to call me first on my cell, my work, my wife, and then a close friend. We chose not to put a neighbor at risk by putting them on the list. Yes, response by police is put into my hands, only those on the list can give authorization to call police.

Too many calls to the police(i.e. false alarms) will result in a fine. I prefer to keep it to a minimum. So far, no problems. And yes, we are armed...

I had ADT back in the 90s. They were worthless then and they're worthless now. If you want a good alarm system invest in a good dobie, rottie, shepard, german pincher, malinouis, boxer, whatever...They work 24/7 for you and only ask for a bowl of kibble, fresh water and a little love every day. Calling your neighbors to have them check it out for them is just absurd. They take the risks while ADT or whoever gets paid. You'd be better served with a few motion lights, a good dog and a roscoe next to your bed.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Talking

I think this commercial is much better than the ADT one:
    Commercial

Quote Originally Posted by whisky19 View Post
    I think this commercial is much better than the ADT one:
    Commercial

I love it!!
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast