Kentucky-Louisville carry?

This is a discussion on Kentucky-Louisville carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I posted this on THR but thought I would pick the brains of the Ky residents here. I will be in Louisville Kentucky next week ...

Thread: Kentucky-Louisville carry?

Kentucky-Louisville carry?

I posted this on THR but thought I would pick the brains of the Ky residents here.

I will be in Louisville Kentucky next week and I have a few questions for those who may know.

From the Kentucky state police web site I found the no carry places:

One of the places is: Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose.

This is what I have a question about.

So if I go to an TGI Fridays type resturant. I can carry but not in the bar area or drink. Am I understanding that correctly?

Also this will be within walking distance for me from my hotel and I know Fridays is located with in 4th street live. Does the people who run the 4th street live ban firearms?

Thanks,
    James

2. Remove Ads

Thats the way I see it.Keep it concealed and remember the sheeple cant see what they arent looking for.I carry everywhere except bars and I dont go there because I cant carry.If it isnt a state or gov owned building or a bar your good even if its posted but if you are asked to leave do so and the police cant do a thing except tell you not to return.we are also an open carry state so dont worry about printing too much.the sheeple cant see what they dont know to look for.what part of louisville are you visiting? I see you will be downtown. dont go below floyd st or past 6th street at night and you should be ok. the lmpd office and court house is all located around 6th and jefferson. The river front can be a nice walk but be armed and be back by 10:00 or so.Catch a riverbats game if you can its cheap and pretty good entertainment and its within walking distance.

oh .... begging for money is a crime in louisville metro now when you are approached you will see them comming dont let them get to close I tell them "Get away from me I dont have anything for you!" they are looking for weakness if you dont show it to them they will go away quickly.

VIP Member
    Before you take the walk to TGIF you might want to check the store front. TGIF is anti gun and corporate policy is no guns allowed. Not all of their stores are posted but most that I have ran across in the Richmond VA area are.

I don't believe that it is cheapthrills is correct, but it may be the safest way to make sure you don't end up in trouble. I think you can carry leagally anywhere whose primary money maker is not in alcohol. It use to be easy to distinguish those places in lexington as they were the ones who served also on Sunday. However that is not the case.

Call the the state dept. and they should be able to give you a better anwser and the correct one.

Thanks guys,

If it is posted I will just turn around. I know if they never see it then how would they know. But why set myself up for trouble...

I will be working at one of the Norton Hospitals. I am not sure which one. I have worked at both in the past. I think I will be in the down town area. I have not gotten my final plans yet.

I plan to stay at the Hampton Inn so I will be close to 4th street. I have walked around during the day time and I know there are some places to avoid at night. My plan is to get to the hotel, Walk to dinner and back. I think the hotel is also on Jeffereson just down the road from city hall. So my walk is direct and I know where I will be going so.

the hospital is posted and has a metal detector at the emergency room entrance if you wear steel toe boots the gaurd will use a hand scanner to go over your boots if you set off the alarm then wave you through. thier security is a joke. The other doors are posted but no detectors. If you are working inside I wouldnt risk it.

I like my job... I would never carry in a hospital....

The statute reads 50% or more revenue from alcohol sales. It is normally interpreted as bars are no carry and restaurants that serve alcohol are okay.

It would be unreasonable to know the exact ratio of sales and I've never read of anyone getting in trouble for that as long as it wasn't a bar. The bar area in said establishment should be fine. It's the same building.

Even if the place posts, you can still carry in there, the most they can do is ask you to leave. If you refuse to leave, it's a trespassing charge.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Member Array Bluegrass Holsters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 22RSSIX View Post
    I posted this on THR but thought I would pick the brains of the Ky residents here.

Glad to have your visiting. As a CCDW Instructor-Trainer I can answer your questions somewhat definitively.

I will be in Louisville Kentucky next week and I have a few questions for those who may know.

From the Kentucky state police web site I found the no carry places:

One of the places is: Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose.

This is what I have a question about.

So if I go to an TGI Fridays type resturant. I can carry but not in the bar area or drink. Am I understanding that correctly?

You will be ok in the restaurant....and do not worry about any silly "no carry" sign. Unless it is a police station, courtroom, or certain governmental locations you are not violating any law by ignoring the sign. Essentially the law gives the business the right to have a no-guns area, however, you will not be breaking any law by ignoring the sign. You would be violating the law if you were found to be carrying AND THEN refuse to leave when asked. It then becomes tresspassing. Example...I carry always wherever I go....malls, restaurants, etc. If anyone every finds out and asks me to leave, no problem...that will be the end of my patronage and money for that place. I carried at the capitol yesterday complete with the knowledge of the officers there...no problem.

Also this will be within walking distance for me from my hotel and I know Fridays is located with in 4th street live. Does the people who run the 4th street live ban firearms?

Fourth Street live might not want firearms, but they are just like anyone else as a private business....despite what the mayor thinks (Louisville tried to eliminate most firearm carry and was spanked by the Atty Gen'l several years ago)....only the legislature can change firearm laws and that will be difficult 'cause the citizens of this state just don't cotton to folks telling them what to do.

As state previously, carry concealed and do it well. personally, there have been shootings, stabbings, muggings, etc down in that area and I would not be there day or night without my firearm. if the place has detectors....well, then you are on your own.

Thanks,
    James
    you are welcome....PM me if you have any other specific questions and I will try to assist you further. How long will you be in town? Long enough to shoot?

Thanks guy!

I just got home. it was a short but long stay. I got to town on Monday night. I walked down to 4th street and to fridays. There was no postings at the TGI fridays.

on the walk I did not get hit up for change. On the way back it was quiet. I did pass by the "adult" movie/book store and there were two guys by the movie entrance and the guy got up and walked my way. I think he might of said something but i kept on my way with the look over the shoulder to see if he came to the sidewalk or not.

Yesterday I spent 14 hours at the Norton hospital and it was late and I just went back to the hotel and passed out.

I will be back next week. However I will arrive the night before and have to work the following days then returning home. Not much time for anything else.

-James

Links