Good LTE by Va Tech student (This guy should be allowed to carry!)

This is a discussion on Good LTE by Va Tech student (This guy should be allowed to carry!) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It is nice to see that not all college students are 'skulls full of mush'. He makes some good points in favor of campus carry. ...

Thread: Good LTE by Va Tech student (This guy should be allowed to carry!)

VIP Member

It is nice to see that not all college students are 'skulls full of mush'. He makes some good points in favor of campus carry.

CollegiateTimes.com - Letter: Tech's new security policies worth investigating
    So far Virginia Tech has spent $10.4 million in security revisions.

These include, but are not limited to, the alert system which I, and many others I know, did not get on Tuesday's test, installing doors that cannot be chained shut, locking down the dorms even though they were locked when the incident took place last year, and adding 10 more officers to the Virginia Tech police, making the student to officer ratio 500:1 if all are on duty at once.
    He also points out the CCWer's are the most law-abiding & that these 'security measures' are just to make the have the illusion of safety.....

(comments section after the article are good so far as well...)
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Yes, apparently there are a precious few jewels in the rough.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Not all of us young kids are !!

More "feel good," actions
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

thanks for the post

thanks for the info, all younguns are not lost obviously!

"All too often people rapidly dismiss the idea of concealed carry, on the grounds of "they wouldn't feel safe." We need to start thinking with logic rather than emotion.

I just ask that people consider it opposed to just dismissing it as a bunch of Second Amendment screaming gun nuts."

My favorite lines in the whole article. "...thinking with logic......."
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Coming soon to a campus near you...

What happened here on April 16 I hope will never happen here again, but already we have seen "copy cat" events at Northern Illinois University.

Even in the last week we have seen an escalation in violence in Blacksburg between the three assaults and a robbery.

They still haven't got a clue...
    The facts are out there, someone possessing a concealed carry permit is five times less likely to commit a violent crime than someone without one.

Several universities have already adopted concealed carry, and if there was some massive upswing in violence I'm sure we would have found out.

Need more?
    In Florida crime has dropped dramatically since allowing residents to carry a concealed weapon, opposed to D.C., which has one of the highest crime rates and some of the strictest gun laws.

Australia has tripled in homicide rates since the banning of firearms while most states that implement concealed carry have shown a decrease in crime.

Stay armedl...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

very good article. Its nice to see people who think rationally. The comment below the article
    "I would be terrified if I was in class, knowing that the person beside me could be carrying a gun..."
    seems to be the typical irrational fear that many people have. In my classes, I know I would feel safer if i knew others around me were able to defend me (of course I would be the one carrying though, if i could.) Time to comment...

SCCC is striving hard to make others see the logic. Maybe the protest at the end of April will bring a couple around.

VIP Member
    "I would be terrified if I was in class, knowing that the person beside me could be carrying a gun..."
    You'd better feel extra, super, double-plus terrified then, Mr. or Mrs. College Ovine. The person next to you very well could be carrying a gun. And now for the bad news - that person has already displayed a willingness to violate law/policy. The really bad news? None of your classmates or faculty who ARE law/policy abiding is prepared to stop this armed law breaker should he decide to use his weapon...

It is amazing to me, despite years and years of seeing it, that people can actually think this way.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Well, at least their is some hope for the future. Hopefully more of this gentleman's generation feel the same.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Well, at least their is some hope for the future. Hopefully more of this gentleman's generation feel the same.
    Right now we're organized at over 23,000 members. That's roughly 1 in 800 college students nationally.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    "All too often people rapidly dismiss the idea of concealed carry, on the grounds of "they wouldn't feel safe." We need to start thinking with logic rather than emotion.

I just ask that people consider it opposed to just dismissing it as a bunch of Second Amendment screaming gun nuts."

My favorite lines in the whole article. "...thinking with logic......."
    By a poster named Jonesy:

Its good to note that most people who favor CCW on campus realize that its not a garauntee that the next massacre can be stopped or prevented. We only want the chance to make a difference.
    "...trying to get a long gun into play while someone is all over you like a monkey eating a cupcake is not very conducive to good survival techniques." ~Bark'n

Sponsored Links