Have you ever timed your draw?

This is a discussion on Have you ever timed your draw? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by HotGuns Hey Cloudspeak... My time aint that great. When I was doing it weekly I could get in the high 2's pretty ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever timed your draw?

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Hey Cloudspeak...

My time aint that great. When I was doing it weekly I could get in the high 2's pretty consistently.
    We have several members in the club that can go low to mid 2's.

After a few times on the line, just about anyone can do mid to high 4's or low 5's. Like anything else, its just practice.

A missed shot or a fumbled draw against any of them and you just lost.
    Well, you're way beyond me. We shoot 5, 6" steel plates at 7 yards. I think the best I've done is 3 seconds.

We had a new guy show up at the last shoot. He had the fastest draw I've ever seen. But, once he drew, he couldn't hit anything and was the first man out. If he ever learns to hit as fast as he draws, we're all in trouble!

Cloudpeak

2. Remove Ads

This is a really good link for dryfire drills and timing your draw in the comfort of your own home. As always, make sure your gun is unloaded with no ammo around. The way I use it is with the gun holstered, as soon as the target pops up I draw, aim and fire. Hopefully all before the target disappears. Toss the mix up a little with different cover garments, hand positions, etc. to simulate different scenarios you may feel you'll encounter. Although not a substitute for actual drawing and live fire, a good alternative if you don't have a timer or if your range doesn't allow drawing from a holster/concealment. The various drills are at the bottom of the page. Hope this helps.

Personal Defense Training - Dryfire Drills

The only time that I have ever timed my draw is during qualifications for PD. Hands on chest, from retention two shots on target, drop the mag, reload, two more shots on target and back in retention. My fastest was in about 3.85.

But you have to remember, the fastest draw in the world is still slower than a gun already pointed at you. You can work on your fast draw all you want, but you must have situational awareness to complement your other skills. The real weapon is between your ears.
    If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
    --Thomas Paine December 19, 1776

The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just.
    --Abraham Lincoln

http://jmm.aaa.net.au/articles/13226.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Freakdaddy View Post
    This is a really good link for dryfire drills and timing your draw in the comfort of your own home. As always, make sure your gun is unloaded with no ammo around. The way I use it is with the gun holstered, as soon as the target pops up I draw, aim and fire. Hopefully all before the target disappears. Toss the mix up a little with different cover garments, hand positions, etc. to simulate different scenarios you may feel you'll encounter. Although not a substitute for actual drawing and live fire, a good alternative if you don't have a timer or if your range doesn't allow drawing from a holster/concealment. The various drills are at the bottom of the page. Hope this helps.

Personal Defense Training - Dryfire Drills

Thanks, Freakdaddy, for the cool link.

Cloudpeak

I practice drawing from concealment but I don't time it. My sundial doesn't have a second hand. I want to be smooth with no hitches in my draw and I practice with different cover garments to see what works best in those situations. I don't see a wild west fast draw situation as being really in my future.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus111 View Post
    The only time that I have ever timed my draw is during qualifications for PD. Hands on chest, from retention two shots on target, drop the mag, reload, two more shots on target and back in retention. My fastest was in about 3.85.

But you have to remember, the fastest draw in the world is still slower than a gun already pointed at you. You can work on your fast draw all you want, but you must have situational awareness to complement your other skills. The real weapon is between your ears.
    I agree, but must point out that Bill Jordan could draw and shoot before someone could pull the trigger of a gun aimed at him and ready to fire. His draw was faster than the reaction time of those who tried him.

I think there were/are a couple of others, such as Jelly Bryce of the FBI, but none of us here is likely to ever be so fast.
    Bill Jordan's book, No Second Place Winner, is a classic and the first chapter is worth the price of the book.

Regards,
    Jerry

I think for most of us a practical application of the draw should be to do it smoothly. Being fast sure doesn't hurt, but I would rather clear my concealment and holster in a nice fluid motion with proper grip, drive the gun into the target and be sure to get solid hits. I do practice speed, and I notice that when I push my limit, I either fumble my concealment or I don't get the best grip on the gun.

When I practice speed, I want to know where that limit is so that I can draw as fast as I can *without* sacrificing stroke, grip or accuracy. Right now I'm probably a bit over 2.5 s from concealment out to 7 yds, but that's what practice if for......

When I was a practicing Master, I could draw and hit a 8" steel plate at 25 yards in 1.2 seconds from a surrender position. Mind you, this was with a full house open gun.

Nowadays, I can still do it in about 1.4 seconds from concealment with my carry gun. The only problem is now the 8" steel plate has to be at about 10-15 yards because I am 46 and the targets are getting harder to see.......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    Our qual course requires a draw and two shots to CM within 2 seconds, at 3 yards. Barring a major screw up on my part, this is not a problem. So, while I don't know my actual time, I know I can get two rounds off into the ouchie parts of a BG at 3 yard within 2 seconds. One of these days I'll get an honest to goodness timer, so I can see the actual times.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    When I attended Valhalla they timed us the last day of the course. The drill was to draw from concealment, move laterally, pick up your target and then fire. The numbers were anywhere from 1.2 seconds to just over 2.0 seconds. It was a very interesting drill to watch.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

.6 without concealment, .97 from concealment. USPSA guys.

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Most Federal and now state LEO qualifying test are from a draw, and no longer just punch holes in paper.

The test I last took required 2 hits into an 8-inch circle at 3 meters within 3 seconds, for the first 50 rounds, and the second test was 5 hits into an 8-inch circle at 5 meters within 7 seconds, for the next 50 rounds.

I normally fire the first round from the hip and the second and subsequent rounds from a double hand hold.

BTW… I scored a 92... Which means I missed an 8-inch target at close range 8 times.

I'm convinced the real test for draw time is not while standing, mentally preparing to draw at a line, waiting for a buzzer to go off.

Force on force training with someone catching you off guard walking, or entering a room, or running at you/pushing you down is what we should time ourselves at.

Yea, I know, were never off guard, right?

I attempt to plan from defense; the range is offense.
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

Did you you a timer that beeped you unexpectedly or a watch?
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

The timer I used was a CED millenium.......

Set it for 3 second fixed delay.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links