Have you ever timed your draw? - Page 3

Have you ever timed your draw?

This is a discussion on Have you ever timed your draw? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I use a CED7K with variable start beep. From average concealment (no vest or comp. stuff) I average 1.8 out to 7 yds. Past that ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Have you ever timed your draw?

I use a CED7K with variable start beep. From average concealment (no vest or comp. stuff) I average 1.8 out to 7 yds. Past that distance and I slow down progressively.

-Paul
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner View Post
    I feel it's more important to be able to get to your gun and pull it smoothly, without fumbling, than it is to draw fast. Taking my time, with the goal of getting the gun's muzzle on target, I have gotten it down to about 3 seconds. Not great, but in a serious situation, if you are at all aware of your surroundings, your hand would already be on the grip of the gun. I really don't believe you are ever going to be face to face with a drawing where 1.5 sec. is required for survival. I may be wrong though, but this mind set works for me.
    Good posting! Always remember that fast is smooth and smooth is fast.
    Believe me, if it comes down to a high-stress situation where you need your firearm right frickin' now you'll get a much better pay off from training a smooth grab to the draw and extension than simply grabbing the grip however it happens to happen and giving it a good rip from the holster before your presentation. Consistency in grip and presentation are key elements to an accurate first shot.

The speed of the draw is not the issue. The issue is the speed with which a round can be placed on the target. Contrary to what several of you seem to believe, I think that if I need a gun in my hand, then I need it NOW. Consequently, I also think it would behoove any person who is serious about his competency to include speed work in his drills just as soon as he is comfortable that he has mastered the fundamentals. And I believe the purchase of a timer is a good idea for anybody who practices with his.her carry gun.

I am blessed by having a range in my yard and plenty of free time. But I'm 74 now, and I hit my shooting skills peak over 30 years ago. Back then I could draw on signal and hit the kill zone in a bit under half a second at 20 ft. with either a service revolver, a 1911, or a SAA. By the time I was 55 it was all I could do to consistently stay under a second. Today I have to really hustle to make the shot in 2.0 sec. with my Kahr EDC. I can do a little better with a full size gun.

A shooting buddy of mine who is in his mid 50's can, at the signal, draw two single action revolvers, one in each hand, and put TEN rounds on a B-27 target at 20 ft in 1.9 seconds, and that's with standard guns firing standard .38spl loads from standard, no frills leather. Can you imagine drawing and thumb cocking and pulling the trigger five times with each hand in under 2 seconds! That is speed. But he puts in a lot of work. And he does hold the world record for this exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    The speed of the draw is not the issue. The issue is the speed with which a round can be placed on the target. Contrary to what several of you seem to believe, I think that if I need a gun in my hand, then I need it NOW. Consequently, I also think it would behoove any person who is serious about his competency to include speed work in his drills just as soon as he is comfortable that he has mastered the fundamentals. And I believe the purchase of a timer is a good idea for anybody who practices with his.her carry gun.
    Well said! I could not agree more, especially about the timer.

I prefer to have someone control the timer since I can't as easily know when it's going to beep.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    I prefer to have someone control the timer since I can't as easily know when it's going to beep.
    The CED7000 has a variable start mode so that you don't know when it will beep. And you can do multiple runs to take averages. And you can set the sensitivity so that it hears the hit on the snap cap.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Nope. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. I think being smooth and consistent is more important than speed.

Just my $0.02

Wht
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I keep a Kahr PM9 in my front pocket and I wear dress slacks for work and kakis and jeans away from work. Each pair of pants has a slightly different pocket opening. So each morning when I place the gun in my pocket I do several practice draws just so I am familiar with that particular pair of pants and the slightly different draw technique I may need to use. With some pants I can do a smooth 2 sec draw. With a pair of tighter jeans it may take a smooth 3 sec. On the other hand if I were sitting in my car with the seat belt on and needed to draw from my pocket it may take 3-4 sec. due to the way the pocket is tighter from body position. One needs to practice in a variety of positions in order to become proficient.

Quote Originally Posted by wht06rado View Post
    Nope. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.
    Smooth is fast. Slow is just slow.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links