South Carolina Reciprocity

This is a discussion on South Carolina Reciprocity within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I purchased property in SC and I am seeking to get the SC Concealed Carry Permit. In review of the states that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Carolina Reciprocity

My wife and I purchased property in SC and I am seeking to get the SC Concealed Carry Permit. In review of the states that SC has reciprocity with it is not as extensive as I had hoped.

I emailed the following to the SC Attorney General - Henry McMaster. Mr. McMaster signed on to support the DC vs Heller case before the US Supreme Court along with many other states Attorneys Generals by the way.

I would suggest that other SC residents send a letter as well so that we can have many making the same request for greater reciprocity.

Dear Sir,

I must commend you and other people of South Carolina. During our visits to the state we found the state clean, organized and well run. We were greeted by many who were open and friendly and assisted in answering questions and providing helpful information. We were visiting the southern United States in the hopes of finding a place we could call home and in a few years move to and one day retire. We found that place in Laurens, South Carolina on beautiful lake and have the intention of building a house in the next several years and becoming permanent residents of the state.

I understand that as a property owner in South Carolina I can now obtain the South Carolina Concealed Weapons Permit through application and meeting the background and training requirements. In review of this permit I have found that while many states have reciprocity with South Carolina - many states do not. While it is well that many states have reciprocity with South Carolina - this leaves for the possibility for South Carolinians to be unprotected when traveling to the other great states of our country that do not have reciprocity with South Carolina. I would ask how South Carolina can further its reciprocity to other states that are not currently covered so that South Carolinians can lawfully protect themselves in all of the states of this great country?

Additionally I would like to express my appreciation for the support that you and the many of the other Attorneys Generals have provided to uphold the 2nd Amendment case of DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA v.
    DICK ANTHONY HELLER before the Unites States Supreme Court.

I thank you for your time and consideration.

Luke & Yenny Currier

Luke
    "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
    John 3:16

NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I'm from Florida and Sc doesn't recognize my CCW.
    It's a major pain.
    The problem seems to orginate in SC not with the other states.
    I understand it's being addressed now. Maybe a change soon.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

VIP Member
    Agree with AFS. Check out Handgunlaw.us, it list the states that honor SC permit. I believe there are 19 states that recognizes SC permits, Virginia being one of them. Unfortunately SC does not recognize Virginia's. Hopefully this can be resolved. Would like to see all states honor each others permits, just like they honor drivers licences.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Agree with AFS. Check out Handgunlaw.us, it list the states that honor SC permit. I believe there are 19 states that recognizes SC permits, Virginia being one of them. Unfortunately SC does not recognize Virginia's. Hopefully this can be resolved. Would like to see all states honor each others permits, just like they honor drivers licences.

I understand what you say. My statement to the SC AG was that the SC permit are not accepted in some other states, not that other states permits were not accepted in SC. I wanted to work on his concern for SC residents and their needs when traveling outside of SC.

I agree that all states should honor each others permits, I was trying use my letter to get towards that goal by taking a small step rather than asking for everything at once.

Also, I am aware of Hangunlaw.us and used that as the basis of my research on this issue.

Luke
    "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
    John 3:16

NRA Life Member

SC doesn't honor a MS permit either. My wife and I took a vacation 5 years ago to Savannah and traveled up the coast for a wkd of it to spend in Charleston/Hilton Head. I did what I had to do, but I didn't like it. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't risk it again. I loved the place...sure wish they'd come around.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

I know in NC, even we didn't have reciprocity with SC, and we have one of the largest reciprocity lists around. Finally, the legislature passed some tiny little thing regarding the permits, and SC signed on. SC is very restrictive on which states they offer reciprocity to. I'm hoping more states go to NC's stance of "if you take ours, we'll take yours."

Long and short of it. SC evidently has very high standards on issuing CWP's including background checks and training. By law reciprocity can only be established with states that have equal or higher requirements for permits. SLED is in charge of reciprocity and the AG "technically" has no say so in it.

H 3212 passed the House to establish full recognition from all states and was sent to the Senate. In order to get it passed in the Senate it was ammended it to allow reciprocity with any state that required a background check and a training course and sent it back to the House for concurrence. The House refused to accept the compromise and rejected the amendment so it now appears to be dead and we are stuck with the same requirements as in the past.

Rather that wasting time writing the AG you will have to put pressure on the State Senators and Representatives.

One note is that reciprocity with West Virginia is pending and just waiting on the formal agreement.

SC Senate recently blocked a bill that would allow reciprocity with other states. However, SC AG has signed agreements with other states to have reciprocity with SC. Yeah, it stinks...!

Quote Originally Posted by LSCurrier View Post
    I understand what you say. My statement to the SC AG was that the SC permit are not accepted in some other states, not that other states permits were not accepted in SC. I wanted to work on his concern for SC residents and their needs when traveling outside of SC.
    You and other SC residents/property owners at least have the option of obtaining FL, UT, or other permits that are recognized in other states. I understand this incurs additional expense and inconvenience, but you do have that option.

We non SC residents/property owners from states whose permits SC does not recognize currently only have the option you've taken - buying SC property - if we want to carry there.

The good news is that carrying in a car's console or glove box is legal in SC, so driving through (as long as you don't stop) is less painful than transiting through anti states like MD, NJ, etc.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

I live here in SC & also own a little piece of land. For a "small fee" I could add you to the deed.
    All kidding aside I agree it does suck.
    I couldn't carry to visit mom in FL so I wound up getting a FL non- resident permit and they are honored by GA so that solved that problem. Hopefully things will change for the better in the near future.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jframe38 View Post
    I live here in SC & also own a little piece of land. For a "small fee" I could add you to the deed.
    I've heard that there companies and land owners that are set up to do that.

Hey, I have deed to a one inch square piece of Scotland, which makes me a "Landed Scot." So why not?

Anyone know of such an opportunity?

Any case law on the option? How much land or how much of a limited partnership in a business would be needed?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

It doesn't surprise me that my humorous thought might be a money maker for some unscrupulous businessman.

LS Currier: If you have a NY permit you could apply for a FL non- resident permit per their application instruction booklet, Chapter 790.015 of the FL Statutes. That would add a few states.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    I've heard that there companies and land owners that are set up to do that.

Hey, I have deed to a one inch square piece of Scotland, which makes me a "Landed Scot." So why not?

Anyone know of such an opportunity?

Any case law on the option? How much land or how much of a limited partnership in a business would be needed?

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Arizona does not have reciprocity with SC, However SC recognizes Az permits without written reciprocity, and vise versa.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

If SC's Revised Statutes are available online you could probably find out the reason SC doesn't have reciprocity with many states.

Some of the reasons might be:

• stringency of requirements of other states not = or > than SC's
    • a complete database of all CCW holders, not available 24/7
    • no picture on permit
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    Long and short of it. SC evidently has very high standards on issuing CWP's including background checks and training. By law reciprocity can only be established with states that have equal or higher requirements for permits. SLED is in charge of reciprocity and the AG "technically" has no say so in it.

H 3212 passed the House to establish full recognition from all states and was sent to the Senate. In order to get it passed in the Senate it was ammended it to allow reciprocity with any state that required a background check and a training course and sent it back to the House for concurrence. The House refused to accept the compromise and rejected the amendment so it now appears to be dead and we are stuck with the same requirements as in the past.

Rather that wasting time writing the AG you will have to put pressure on the State Senators and Representatives.

One note is that reciprocity with West Virginia is pending and just waiting on the formal agreement.
    That's cool in case I decide to go to Myrtle,that way I'm covered the whole trip down.
    Also,I think WV and SC have something in common that they are both stingy about reciprocity agreements. Until fairly recently,WV only accepted neighboring KY and VA permits. We also have house and senate bills pushing for universal reciprocity(you accept ours,we accept yours) which hasn't appeared to go anywhere.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links