Is it just me or is this strange?

Is it just me or is this strange?

This is a discussion on Is it just me or is this strange? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A couple of weeks ago I lost my job so I am busy as a fire ant filling out applications. Tonight I was filling out ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me or is this strange?

Question Is it just me or is this strange?

A couple of weeks ago I lost my job so I am busy as a fire ant filling out applications. Tonight I was filling out an online application for an unarmed security guard position when I came across a question asking if I had a CCW permit. When I clicked yes a separate form popped up requiring all of the information such as permit number, state, and all that good stuff. What really bothered me was when it asked (required) me for a listing of ALL FIREARMS in my home by make, model, and serial number! I did not fill out any of the requested (required) information, for $9.00 an hour they can keep their job!

At that point I looked in vain for a reset button and when I could not find one I closed my browser. About thirty minutes later I received an e-mail thanking me for my application. I never clicked submit. So my question; is it normal for an unarmed security position to require information about every firearm that an applicant owns? I might be able to understand if the position was armed and required me to carry a personal weapon to list that weapon’s serial number but to me it was an invasion of privacy to ask on the application.

Well, no matter what, I know one place I won’t be going to work. I just hate that they now have as much information about me as they do.

Thanks for letting me rant!

Bear
    Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag,Glock 17, Glock 19,Taurus 92 9mm,Llama .38, Taurus .38,Bersa Thunder .380,S&W Model 22A .22,Western Auto .22 ,NAA .22 Mag, Mini- Mini 14 .223,Mossberg 12 Gauge.

Administrator
    its odd for any position... maybe they are trying to weed out the tackleberrys.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Even for an armed security job that is too much info. I might understand them needing to know some basic info about your carry weapon, even making you qualify with it. Since this job is for unarmed security, they aren't getting any info on my weapons.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I would go back to the website and see if there is any contact info. I would also get contact info for the security firm from an alternate place. I would compare them and then I would then call and make sure that whatever website you were at is actually the website of the security firm that you were applying to. If it is, I would ask to be removed from their files, if it is not...well, that could become a problem.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Then I guess it is best that I did not finish the App. I think I am better armed than Tackelberry!
    Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag,Glock 17, Glock 19,Taurus 92 9mm,Llama .38, Taurus .38,Bersa Thunder .380,S&W Model 22A .22,Western Auto .22 ,NAA .22 Mag, Mini- Mini 14 .223,Mossberg 12 Gauge.

Good luck finding a job.. It dose not sound right..
    Glock24&27, Bersa Thunder.380cc
    Colt 1903 Pocket .32
    S&W27
    S&W659
    Ruger Mark II Gov.Model
    Beretta Neo

Honestly, this is more than strange. The little paranoid guy on my shoulder says it sounds like you were being cased online to see if your house/apartment is worth breaking into to steal your weapons.

I would check the outgoing/sent portion of your mailbox to see if you sent them anything you were unaware of. I would also check the website like the poster above suggested. Find out who the company was and contact them. I can't think of a single reason anyone legit would ask for a inventory of your personal firearms. If you can't get anyone from the company to respond, or can't even find a way to contact them other than an e-mail, it's time to call the local PD and talk to someone in computer crimes and/or robbery.

I would also download and run anti-spyware software such as Ad-aware and Spybot. They are free, and they will find a lot of crap, just in case that site left you some "presents".

You said you didn't list your weapons, which is good, so in the worst case, any would-be robbers don't know how well you're armed, and may decide not to chance it. Still, I would be in a heightened awareness condition (at least Yellow, and I personally would be in Orange) for the next few days.

If you could, let us know if anything comes of this. Also, as someone who just got a job after being out of work for 8 weeks, good luck.

John

i dont like the sound of this at all.this company should be thoroughly checked out.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Ok, I just finished checking…

And I could find no irregularities in the web form and the companies web sites when I Googled them. I checked several different websites listed to the Security Company. I checked my e-mail accounts and see nothing going out to this company. I have three different spy and spam suites working full time on this computer so it would be hard for them to leave me any little surprises. This is one of the larger security companies and has been in business since the mid 1950’s.

I will keep my wife and myself on a heightened security alert for a while, which is easy for my wife, she works for 911 and hears all the horror stories. For myself I always go armed around the house and sleep with a G19 and a pistol grip 12 gauge at hand, and being unemployed I am home most of the time right now.

I want to thank you for your concern and I will keep everyone posted if anything develops.

Bear

Well, sounds like the website was legit, anyway. That was my primary concern. Maybe, it was a test, and they just wanted to weed out the people stupid enough to give all of their personal info and serial numbers out over the internet.

I'd still call the company tomorrow and ask to speak to a supervisor. Explain your concerns and how you question things that don't seem right. Then sneak in a request for an interview...

Good luck on the job hunt and keep us posted.

edited to add: I wanted to add that I definitely think you should contact the company tomorrow, regardless of if you are still interested in pursuing a job with them. Just because it was a legitimate website does not, by any means, guarantee that the website was not tampered with. There are lots of stories where websites get hacked, especially ones that people are comfortable with giving information to. I just still can't see a legitimate reason why any employer would want the serial numbers for my personal firearms unless I was required to carry my own weapon. I am not even sure if all Police Departments have to document their off duty carry.
    Last edited by Kerbouchard; April 1st, 2008 at 01:02 AM. Reason: add info
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Why in the world would they need info on all guns in your household? That's just weird. Especially for an unarmed position?

Good luck with the job search, but maybe not any unarmed security positions? That's like being an unarmed armored car service.

I can't believe anyone would ask what weapons you own. Isn't that kinda like peeking on the bedroom. It's nobody's business.

A relative of mine use to be general manager of a large building complex. The building included an upper class hotel, conference center, bank, boutiques, parking garage, and 50 or so offices suites.

While all security appeared to be unarmed, the fact is all of them carried pocket pistols, or IWB with shirt tucked over. So questions regarding CCL could have been legitimate, and in fact would give you an upper hand on hiring.

Before filling out any information/application online, always call to confirm that website truly belongs to that security company.

If it in fact did, and your browser has that little lock sign on top, I would not have provided them with your firearms information, but, I would have completed the rest of the information.

Since you are in SC, I would recommend calling SLED. Tell them about your experience and ask if there is any legitimate reason that company needs info on your weapons.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

The name of the company would be nice. Their application form is clearly public...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links