Theaters

This is a discussion on Theaters within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Are theaters off limits for ccw's? Never heard of that. Not here....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Theaters

Are theaters off limits for ccw's?
    Never heard of that. Not here.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mzmtg View Post
    How do you know, for sure?
    Read my entire post, I make it quite obvious that it cannot be known for sure. That said, theatres are much more like McDonald's than they are events. Service bought and paid for, no alcohol, theatre operates whether 2 people or 200 people arrive.

Again though, read my whole post. I cannot even walk down a sidewalk without breaking the law in someone's eyes. How many more days til hb89 passes? (please let it pass)

Quote Originally Posted by elorei View Post
    Read my entire post, I make it quite obvious that it cannot be known for sure. That said, theatres are much more like McDonald's than they are events. Service bought and paid for, no alcohol, theatre operates whether 2 people or 200 people arrive.

Again though, read my whole post. I cannot even walk down a sidewalk without breaking the law in someone's eyes. How many more days til hb89 passes? (please let it pass)
    We were making the same point: You can’t be sure.

What would be the reasoning for not allowing carry to a theater or for that matter any other venue that seats say 2.5K+ people such as a concert hall or civic center?

Why not allow carry there too and what is the thought process toward 2.5K as opposed to say 250 or 25or 2.5 people capacity?

- Janq regularly carries to movie theaters and nobody knows as it's 'concealed'
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    What would be the reasoning for not allowing carry to a theater or for that matter any other venue that seats say 2.5K+ people such as a concert hall or civic center?

Why not allow carry there too and what is the thought process toward 2.5K as opposed to say 250 or 25or 2.5 people capacity?

- Janq regularly carries to movie theaters and nobody knows as it's 'concealed'

As it stands, you cannot, by letter of the law, even walk down any street in Atlanta without breaking the law, even with a GFL. This was kind of the point we were trying to make. Georgia has *VERY* restrictive carry laws, due in large part to the "public gathering rule". It is extremely convoluted, and never ever lays out specifically where you can carry, and leaves any "public gathering" off limits. Public gathering is wide open to interpretation, however we can carry in McDonald's, because after someone got charged with carrying there, caselaw made McD's not a public gathering. This case law did not lay out in any more certain terms rulings on other areas that may or may not be public gatherings.

Get pulled over by a cop into a parking lot of a place (that may not even be open for business) that is deemed a public gathering and you might get charged. Who knows? Not even the lawmakers can make up their minds as to what constitutes a public gathering.

What's the deal about theaters in TN? I haven't been to a movie in years, back on the dating scene so I'm sure I may be going to a few every now and then

DC Founder
    I always carry at our local theaters, which are not posted.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Elorei that is exactly where I was going with my wonderment.
    The whole wide world is a public gathering place and most everywhere can support 2.5K or *.arbitrary number be it the playground with attached soccer and football fields where I took my kids to play on Sunday (carrying) to the grocery mart plaza including the capacity of the maybe 15 attached stores and the huge parking lot that goes along with it to even the multistory town hall building that I visited yesterday to pay for fingerprint cards to be made by my local po-po. I carried there too (town hall).
    By GA law thought I'm a public hazzard?!? :|

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I always carry in theaters here in Colorado. Nothing is posted, I never ask, and of course no one ever knows I'm carrying.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daps View Post
    What's the deal about theaters in TN? I haven't been to a movie in years, back on the dating scene so I'm sure I may be going to a few every now and then
    I am aware of nothing other than this:

Tennessee Code Annotated 39-17-1359. Prohibition at certain meetings — Posting notice. —

(a) An individual, corporation, business entity or local, state or federal government entity or agent thereof is authorized to prohibit the possession of weapons by any person otherwise authorized by §§ 39-17-1351 — 39-17-1360, at meetings conducted by, or on property owned, operated, or managed or under the control of the individual, corporation, business entity or government entity. Notice of the prohibition shall be posted. Posted notices shall be displayed in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the building, portion of the building or buildings where weapon possession is prohibited. If the possession of weapons is also prohibited on the premises of the property as well as within the confines of a building located on the property, the notice shall be posted at all entrances to the premises that are primarily used by persons entering the property. The notice shall be in English but a notice may also be posted in any language used by patrons, customers or persons who frequent the place where weapon possession is prohibited. In addition to the sign, notice may also include the international circle and slash symbolizing the prohibition of the item within the circle. The sign shall be of a size that is plainly visible to the average person entering the building, premises or property and shall contain language substantially similar to the following:

PURSUANT TO § 39-17-1359, THE OWNER/OPERATOR OF THIS PROPERTY HAS BANNED WEAPONS ON THIS PROPERTY, OR WITHIN THIS BUILDING OR THIS PORTION OF THIS BUILDING. FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THIS PROHIBITION IS PUNISHABLE AS A CRIMINAL ACT UNDER STATE LAW AND MAY SUBJECT THE VIOLATOR TO A FINE OF NOT MORE THAN FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($500).

(b) Nothing in this section shall be construed to alter, reduce or eliminate any civil or criminal liability that a property owner or manager may have for injuries arising on their property.

(c) Any posted notice being used by a local, state or federal governmental entity on July 1, 2000, that is in substantial compliance with the provisions of subsection (a) of this section may continue to be used by the governmental entity.

(d) The provisions of this section shall not apply to title 70 regarding wildlife laws, rules and regulations.

I didnt think they were but just checking

I'm glad I don't live in Georgia. We can carry in MS!! Only been to the movies 1 in the last 3 years!!
    Big screen,surround sound,and a pause button!
    My blockbuster bill is about $30.00 a month and the snacks are alot cheaper!!
    We serve alcohol here!!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Does a BG care if a sign is posted?

A sign saying no guns allowed in this establishment is not going to deter any bad guy. After reading this thread it only deters those law abiding citizens who abide by the sign. I go where I need to go regardless of a sign.

The local AMC theatre in town is posted.
    It might be corporate policy.

The lights in the mall parking lot go out after the late show, making the parking lot dark at the theatre entrance. Aside from going to earlier shows, what do you think I do???
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links