Theaters

Theaters

This is a discussion on Theaters within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Are theaters off limits for ccw's? I haven't seen a sign posted at any of the theaters I go to, just wanted to know if ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Theaters

Theaters

Are theaters off limits for ccw's? I haven't seen a sign posted at any of the theaters I go to, just wanted to know if anyone on here had any information that I don't.
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

Not where I live. In fact we have a cinema downtown that I would never visit without being well armed. I know of one young man who was shot and killed half a block away during a mugging. The parking garage is like a scene out of "Death Wish". Go unarmed. I don't think so.

here in texas they have to be posted with a legal sign,where i go i carry
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by wvshooter View Post
    In fact we have a cinema downtown that I would never visit without being well armed.
    I have always carried to the theaters that my wife and I go to, but the other day I was talking to my uncle and we got on the subject of ccw's and he had said he thought theaters were off limits because they are a type of public gathering, so that got me thinking. So I figured I would ask.
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

I always carry. Not a problem in Indiana.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Some of the theaters in Texas have lots of screens (20 or more). Seems to be a real draw for lots of gangsters type. I hate going late at night even though they have off duty police officers. I wouldn't go unarmed day or night. In fact I don't go anywhere that I can't carry.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    I have always carried to the theaters that my wife and I go to, but the other day I was talking to my uncle and we got on the subject of ccw's and he had said he thought theaters were off limits because they are a type of public gathering, so that got me thinking. So I figured I would ask.
    There's no case law on the subject of movie theaters and GA law is very ambiguous as to what constitutes a "public gathering" (PG).

Attorney General opinion states that the law focuses on the gathering itself and not the mere presence of the public. Basically, wherever the public gathers for a specific purpose would be off limits. However, people at a movie theater may not all be gathering for a specific purpose because the movies will be played whether or not the public decides to attend. Combine that with the fact that only those who have paid an admission price are allowed to enter and it may not be considered "public" at all.

I know this post hasn't helped you at all, but the law is very hard to understand and follow.

Please head over to the forums at GeorgiaPacking.Org and jump in to the discussions there.

In NC theaters are off-limits. because of the law saying that any place that charges admission is a no-go. To be perfectly honest, I carry anyway. Theaters are bad places at night. I am not worried about my safety while inside the theater, it's the walk to my car afterwards that worries me. I would rather be asked to leave the theater because I was carrying, then being at risk while walking to my car at midnight after the show. The theater is the one and only place I play ignorant about carrying. Concealed means concealed. The only way someone would know I was carrying in a theater would be if I had to use my ccw. If that situation comes to pass, well, I will take the charge for carrying in an off-limits area. I don't suggest carrying in an off-limits area, I don't like doing it, I don't go to the theater much at all.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Are theaters off limits for ccw's? I haven't seen a sign posted at any of the theaters I go to, just wanted to know if anyone on here had any information that I don't.
    They are not "off limits" in Nevada.

Ken

in michigan it says you cannot carry in an entertainment facility that seats more than 2500 people... whats the average seating capacity for a theatre? i know of one theatre near me that wouldnt have that many, but it sucks, some others might be borderline :/

No carry in theaters in NC. The result is I use Netflix or buy the DVD.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Theatres are not considered a PG in Georgia. You might get hassled bya cop that does not know this, but as long as they do not serve alcohol, and the theatre is primarily not used for events, but instead the service of movie watching, it is not a PG. Of course, GA's gun laws are so retarded, it would only take one cop and one judge to decide differently. That said, that same cop and judge could most likely jail you for walking down *ANY* road in Georgia, with our convoluted laws.

I've never seen a no firearms sign here in VA. I don't doubt that you'd get some hassle if you were OC, but if they don't know you're CC then they can't say anything to you. While I don't have my permit yet, I plan on carrying everywhere that I am able to legally do so.

Quote Originally Posted by elorei View Post
    Theatres are not considered a PG in Georgia. You might get hassled bya cop that does not know this...
    How do you know, for sure?

I always carry to the theaters, have not seen any signs at any in Washington so far, because you can never be too careful. The only place I don't carry is to the bank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links