At home shooting range laws in Kissimmee Florida?

This is a discussion on At home shooting range laws in Kissimmee Florida? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am moving back to Florida in about a month. And it is on a big piece of property, with the ability to have a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am moving back to Florida in about a month. And it is on a big piece of property, with the ability to have a little range. If need be, I can get a bulldozer in and make gigantic sand mounds to help, but I have no clue as to where to start searching for info as to the lawfulness of it.

I called the local LEO, and they had no clue.

i.e. how far from another dwelling, or from a road, etc...

Any help would be appreciated.
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

Wellll...I would hunker down and shut up. Seriously, if you can make modest alterations that provide safety and don't involve a building permit, and if the SO has "no clue", be polite, be careful, and be as quiet as you can be. Here's why:

If the local enviro-freaks hear about you, you may receive a lawsuit claiming lead poisoning of the local ground water; destruction of natural habitat of the one-balled three-legged cannabis eating monkey of greater East Mongolia that migrated to the States in 1306; or general "public endangerment". Variations of all of these have been used against private land owners.

If I had it to do, I'd build two parallel 5 foot high 40-50 yard long cinderblock walls, and fill all the cells. At the far end, I'd double stack railroad ties, and follow them back (in single-layer) to form a roof over the end of the "range"(10-20 yards at least, if you couldn't afford to do the full length). Roll a couple of slit 55 gal drums-your meat smokers- in there, and stow your mower when you aren't playing.

I have no idea on the legality and I like Rob72's idea.

Oh and I am so very jealous of you!!!! Congrats!

Wht
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I had a friend in NC that built his own range on the outskirts of Fayetteville for personal use. To keep it quieter he took a bunch of tires and set them in front of his shooting bench to shoot through. Sort of a giant suppressor. I was surprised at how well it worked as he was shooting a 30/378 Weatherby custom rifle. It was quite the thumper. I live in the country and stacked several big rear tractor tires 100 yards in front of my house for a back stop. I later filled them with dirt when I had a front end loader doing some work here. They last a long time and can take thousands of rounds. I picked up a bunch of them and never had to pay a penny for them. The tractor tire place was happy to get rid of them. It's a whole lot easier then building something. I've now got a round 7/8 inch steel gong in front of it and at 200 yards and 260 yards for shooting at. Right now most of my shooting at the gong is with our 45/70 which just splashes against it. Anything faster tends to crater it pretty badly or punch holes through one of my thinner gongs. I live on 20 acres and have never had any of my neighbors complain about my shooting. I say go cheap with the tractor tires and if the neighbors complain use the smaller tires to quiet things down. Just make sure the direction your shooting is safe for your neighbors houses.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

At least in Oklahoma you can do just about anything in the country without any permits. Bunny huggers don't last long around here. They train greyhound race dogs with live rabbits here, just because they have so much trouble with bunny huggers in other states.
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    destruction of natural habitat of the one-balled three-legged cannabis eating monkey of greater East Mongolia that migrated to the States in 1306
    As opposed to the habitat of the no-balled, latte-sipping, hoplophobic
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ridurall View Post
    I had a friend in NC that built his own range on the outskirts of Fayetteville for personal use. To keep it quieter he took a bunch of tires and set them in front of his shooting bench to shoot through. Sort of a giant suppressor. I was surprised at how well it worked as he was shooting a 30/378 Weatherby custom rifle. It was quite the thumper. I live in the country and stacked several big rear tractor tires 100 yards in front of my house for a back stop. I later filled them with dirt when I had a front end loader doing some work here. They last a long time and can take thousands of rounds. I picked up a bunch of them and never had to pay a penny for them. The tractor tire place was happy to get rid of them. It's a whole lot easier then building something. I've now got a round 7/8 inch steel gong in front of it and at 200 yards and 260 yards for shooting at. Right now most of my shooting at the gong is with our 45/70 which just splashes against it. Anything faster tends to crater it pretty badly or punch holes through one of my thinner gongs. I live on 20 acres and have never had any of my neighbors complain about my shooting. I say go cheap with the tractor tires and if the neighbors complain use the smaller tires to quiet things down. Just make sure the direction your shooting is safe for your neighbors houses.
    That sounds like a great idea, except I will not be doing stationary shooting. It will be for pistol only, and there will be a lot of shooting & moving, kinda like some of my military training.

But if I ever get around to buying a rifle, or just doing stationary shooting, this is exactly what I would do. Thank you.

Wellll...I would hunker down and shut up. Seriously, if you can make modest alterations that provide safety and don't involve a building permit, and if the SO has "no clue", be polite, be careful, and be as quiet as you can be. Here's why:

If the local enviro-freaks hear about you, you may receive a lawsuit claiming lead poisoning of the local ground water; destruction of natural habitat of the one-balled three-legged cannabis eating monkey of greater East Mongolia that migrated to the States in 1306; or general "public endangerment". Variations of all of these have been used against private land owners.

If I had it to do, I'd build two parallel 5 foot high 40-50 yard long cinderblock walls, and fill all the cells. At the far end, I'd double stack railroad ties, and follow them back (in single-layer) to form a roof over the end of the "range"(10-20 yards at least, if you couldn't afford to do the full length). Roll a couple of slit 55 gal drums-your meat smokers- in there, and stow your mower when you aren't playing.
    I like your idea.

Thanks!
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

FL State Law
    It is unlawful to knowingly discharge a firearm in any public place, or on the right of way of any paved public road, highway or street or over any road, highway, street or occupied building, except in defense of life or property, in performance of official duties or where expressly approved for hunting.
    Kissimmee Law Kissimmee; Florida | Welcome or
    http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Florida/kissimme/titlexiigeneralandmiscellaneousoffenses/chapter12-4offensesagainstpublicpeaceand?f=templates$fn=altm ain-nf.htm$3.0#JD_12-4-16
    § 12-4-16 DISCHARGING FIREWORKS OR FIREARMS.
    (A) It shall be unlawful for any person to throw fireballs, firecrackers, rockets or other fireworks within the city; or to discharge any gun, pistol or other firearms or use or discharge any slingshot, air gun or spring gun without the special permit of the City Manager.

(B) It shall be unlawful for any person under the age of 16 years to possess or use any sling shot, air gun or spring gun while not under the direct supervision of a person 21 years of age or older. Nothing in this section shall be construed to affect the provisions of F.S. § 790.22.

('76 Code, § 19-40) (Ord. 1584, passed 1-12-89) Penalty, see § 1-1-99

Statutory reference:

Weapons and firearms generally, see F.S. Ch. 790

Discharging firearms in public, see F.S. § 790.15

§ 12-4-17 PROHIBITION OF DISCHARGE OF FIREARMS.
    It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge any gun, pistol or other firearm within 500 feet of any public right-of-way, public or private road, meander line or any navigable body of water, or dwelling unit or accessory building to such dwelling unit in the city boundaries. The City Manager is authorized to post such signs as he deems necessary throughout the city.

(Ord. 2640, passed 3-13-07) Penalty, see § 1-1-99
    Looks like you're good to go as long as you're not in City Limits...I would talk to the 'city manager', whoever that is, though.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Without specific outlined rules, you're probably going to fall under such laws as:

No shooting within 1/4 mile of a public roadway
    No shooting within 300 yards of a residence
    No discharging firearms after dark.

(Please note, these are NOT Florida laws. They are pieces of laws from another state, used as a generic example)
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Laws may change by county, but, if you are in the county and not in city limits, you will be fine as long as you arent shooting over/across a used roadway/highway.

As long as there are no schools too close by and you shoot within county noise ordinance hours, you should have no problems.

Wellll...I would hunker down and shut up. Seriously, if you can make modest alterations that provide safety and don't involve a building permit, and if the SO has "no clue", be polite, be careful, and be as quiet as you can be.
    Sorry, but that is a totally bad idea. To begin with, it is suggesting that you break the law, which is a no-no on this forum. At some point, a neighbor, ex-friend, disgrunted co-worker, p-o'd family member is going to turn you in. Not to mention the sound of gunfire tipping off the neighbors, police patrols, etc.

I'm in a metro area and probably 10 miles south of national forest/land management areas and private lands. During hunting season, I hear gunfire all day on Saturday and Sunday over the roar of I-10 just a 1/2 mile north of my home.

Somebody will hear it and tip off the zoning office or the law.

Your first source of information is the local city or county zoning office/planning commission. While it might be "your land" you still must abide by local zoning codes.

You should also check this site: www.leg.state.fl.us

Florida does have state regs regarding shooting ranges. I didn't go into detail, just typed in Florida Code in my search engine and that's what I found.

If I found it, you can bet your angry neighbors will find it too.

Law Enforcement is not responsible for enforcing civil code and building regulations (at least until the code office files a complaint) so don't expect them to know the zoning or building codes. If they get a complaint, they'll investigate and suggest to the complaintant to contact the appropriate county/city officials.

Good luck!

Not in the city? Living in the county?

Here you go:

Welcome To Osceola.org : Osceola County, Florida

This is the website for county government. Click on the link for growth management.

That's the fancy stuff for zoning, planning and code enforcement.

I have several friends with private ranges by their residences,( lucky dogs ) but neither is within Osceola County. They did nothing special and had no permits required, just piled up a decent sized a berm for a back stop. You want to be sure your rds stay on YOUR property, a round over the berm can do more than get you more than match DQ'd. You need to be sure you are not within city limits, and aware of what surrounds the perimeter and beyond of your property and your intended shooting area.

I'd check with the county officials, perhaps the local sheriff's office. IN this case your are better off asking permission, rather than forgiveness.

A few years ago I heard a machine gun cut loose not far from my place. With in seconds I also heard the bullets landing in the woods on the north side of my property. I jumped in my truck and drove around the section to the other side where a Oklahoma county deputy was shooting a M-3 .30 carbine MG. His berm was about 2 foot high and every time they pulled the trigger it would climb up and over on to my place and my neighbors place. Yep, keep the rounds on your own property. I didn't do any more then express my misgivings about hitting my neighbors horses, our horses or barns and they quit over shooting their berm.

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    I live in north florida (Redneck Riviera) and am personally loving this thread :):)

FYI This is a very dangerous thing... you are causing a retired sailor to get some very bright ideas :)
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links