How Many of you Play this game?

This is a discussion on How Many of you Play this game? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Sheldon J I asked this question on a different forum and decided to ask it here... So the other morning after dropping ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Many of you Play this game?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    I asked this question on a different forum and decided to ask it here...

So the other morning after dropping the wife off to teach school I had some free time on my hands before the auto parts store opened, and went to a fast food place for a sandwich.

There was only one other person in the building and while siting and eating looking over the room I as usual play the "Whats wrong with this picture" and the "What if / what are my options" game.

So how many of you play this game when out and about?
    I have always done what my friends call casing the joint whenever I enter a place to determine where everyone is, who they are, points of entry and escape routes. I never sit with my back to a door or next to an window visible from the outside. I always have a 360 awareness. Hyper vigilant is a term one doc used. That part is just staying alive, IMO, even though some try to make it a character defect. That said yes I have played the What If game. Its more fun when others play. Play it with my wife and kids, a few friends One will observe create and state a scenario. The others reply with how they would respond. Than we all evaluate both the scenario and the response. Kind of an extension of the kids game of making up stories about a person, based on how they appear & act.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

2. Remove Ads

"Be courteous. Be professional. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    "An armed society is a polite society." -- Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by utf59 View Post
    "Be courteous. Be professional. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    ya beat me to it
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Sheldon, I can't believe you consider this a game. I bet you're not wearing your body armor, either. Do even even carry your tactical cellphone when you're out like this, mocking those of us intent on protecting you? Where have we gone wrong? Have we missed critical training cycles with you? Are you doing this to punish us?

Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

I am not obsessive about it. I used to do it way more than I do now.

Mainly I'm out to enjoy life these days so I don't sit around playing all the "what if" games.

I'm alert and can respond but I don't go crazy with the counter-surveillance bit anymore.

Still, I tend to always sit facing the doors in restaurants, and I do scan areas like parking lots, ATM's, and other places before strolling through.

I also have absolutely no need for checking everyone I encounter to see if they are "packing heat." Personally, I could care less unless they pulling it against me.

I'm not the 1st one to spot an altercation 50 yards away, but I also don't feel it would be too easy to get the drop on me either.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    I always sit facing the main entrance. I make a mental note of where all the exits are & get a general feel for the layout.

TyC
    Everywhere I go i'm looking for exits, hard cover, concealment, and possible threats. When im with my wife I'll ask her where all those things are to. Shes getting pretty good and spotting the way out from where i say a BG comes in at.
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

I try to maintain alert and oriented x 5. (the ems folks will explain)
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    Sure, it's fun to play that game. I think it keeps your mind alert as long as you don't start seeing boogie men in the dark corners everywhere.
    No boogie men, but I do notice a lot of zombies.

I started doing this when I started carrying and learning about the value of preparedness from places like this forum. My ultimate goal is to be like this (without the amnesia, of course ):

Jason Bourne: . . . the first thing I'm doing is I'm catching the sightlines and looking for an exit.

Marie: I see the exit sign, too, I'm not worried. . . . People do all kinds of weird and amazing stuff when they are scared.

Jason Bourne: I can tell you the license plate numbers of all six cars outside. I can tell you that our waitress is left-handed and the guy sitting up at the counter weighs two hundred fifteen pounds and knows how to handle himself. I know the best place to look for a gun is the cab of the gray truck outside, and at this altitude, I can run flat out for a half mile before my hands start shaking. Now why would I know that? How can I know that and not know who I am?
    Last edited by Roland of Gilead; April 3rd, 2008 at 02:50 PM. Reason: needed a smiley
    Freedom ... must be fought for, protected, and handed on ... or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -- Ronald Reagan, 1967

VIP Member
    Years ago when I became a cop I learned to "play scenarios" in my head wherever I was, even while driving. I still do!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Soooooooo, we are your second choice?

I don't play the game yet only because I have not had sufficient tactical training to know exactly what to do.
    Actually you were further down than that, I have my pro 2A forums in alphabetical order and hit them that way.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

My wife and I play that game every time we go out to eat. We trade off who gets to sit with there back to the crowd at some places. Keeps a body aware.
    For some reason I never really think about it when at a mall, guess maybe I should.

all the time....if fact my wife always says"I suppose you want the "good" seat..meaning the one w/ line of fire....also I use the time waiting for her to come up w/ IDPA scenarios.
    I'm almost positive that just by being aware and alert,you can diswade(am I spelling that right)some BG's.Once while taking my Grandmother to the mall,I'm pretty sure a guy was "casing"her.I sat on her purse side,and made eye contact w/this looser,who got up and hi tailed it out of there.My GM was of course clueless the whole time.
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

i have a knack for catching details. for some reason i have a habit of looking around and locating all the security cameras in a building--not sure why, i've never stolen a thing in my life or had any intention to do so, i guess i just like to know if i'm being watched. i also look over every person that comes in the door of restaurants and small stores, pay attention to people as they walk buy in crowded areas such as the mall/walmart/etc and constantly check my back pocket for my wallet when in questionable areas (pick-pockets are sneaky!). i like to be aware of my surroundings and what's going on. after all the college shootings lately, i HATE having to sit in lecture halls where my back is facing the doors.

Just got back from the mall...don't go very often. I watch everybody, look for exits, watch those behind me, look at general crowd movement, etc.
    I am always amazed at those who have NO IDEA about those around them...i.e., women walking out of jewelry stores talking on a cell phone, women walking to their cars on cell phones (bad idea in my book).
    I trust no one, I watch everybody all around me, and I make eye contact with those looking at me.

I always have a plan.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links