Took my NRA certified course tonight...

This is a discussion on Took my NRA certified course tonight... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JimmyC4 FearSheeple, government involvement doesn't necessarily improve any process. And, what right does your state, or any state, have to impose a ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Took my NRA certified course tonight...

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4 View Post
    FearSheeple, government involvement doesn't necessarily improve any process. And, what right does your state, or any state, have to impose a training requirement on citizens before they can arm themselves for personal defense. The way I read it, the Second Amendment doesn't state any training or proficiency requirements.

I am also in full agreement 100%
    ** NRA Life Member***

Colt Defender .45
    Kel-Tec .380

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.

2. Remove Ads

I have my DD 214, so I met the training requirement here in VA. I still took the class with my wife, so she could see, during the range portion, that I actually do know how to shoot.
    She had been exposed to long guns before, but was really worried about (1.) the fact that I wanted to buy a pistol , and (2.) that I wanted to carry.
    After the "training", she seemed a lot easier in her mind about my carrying a pistol. IMHO, the "training" was money well spent...
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

So CA is your bar for exercising your 2A Right...good choice
    I made my comment fully aware of the ridicule it would bring from knee jerkers. I still think that a person who has a CCW should know which end to point, have encouragement to practice, because of recurrent requirements and knowledge of where to GET training, and have a backround check. There is a difference between owning a handgun, and carrying it in public ready to use in self defense, imo. Anyone who disagrees is over the top Forrest Gumpy simple, imo again. Giving untrained people the ability, despite whatever right we ascribe to them, to carry handguns does NOT further our cause. Yakking about the 2nd amendment doesn't work. Responsible gun ownership, including locking the stuff up, so as to avoid Columbines, does. The criminals are always going to make us look good, if we stay halfway responsible.

Quote Originally Posted by braindonor View Post
    I made my comment fully aware of the ridicule it would bring from knee jerkers. I still think that a person who has a CCW should know which end to point, have encouragement to practice, because of recurrent requirements and knowledge of where to GET training, and have a backround check. There is a difference between owning a handgun, and carrying it in public ready to use in self defense, imo. Anyone who disagrees is over the top Forrest Gumpy simple, imo again. Giving untrained people the ability, despite whatever right we ascribe to them, to carry handguns does NOT further our cause. Yakking about the 2nd amendment doesn't work. Responsible gun ownership, including locking the stuff up, so as to avoid Columbines, does. The criminals are always going to make us look good, if we stay halfway responsible.
    What did you call me My point was you shouldn't need a req. to defend yourself! You should know your weapon, your laws,and the most important of them all yourself!! If someone never fired a gun before, I don't know the exact number of rounds I would feel comfortable with them shooting before carrying. Like I stated before you should put in the time behind the trigger,and in your head!!
    It's JMO!
    I don't understand Not being raised around guns!
    Forrest Gumpy
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

cdwolf, you didn't say anything before except to dis Kali, and now all you said is you agree with me, thanks. It is probably IS a mind stretch for you to imagine people not raised around guns. Stretch your mind around this: if what they wanted to say was "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed", why did they put all that other stuff in? Sure muddied the waters! Cheers from the same side you are on!

There is no class req. in MS. A background check, fingerprints, and 120 days!! We don't need a govt. telling people"now your trained" That's what I don't like about the classes! If your going to carry you need to get the range time and training for yourself!
    Read my signature!

Now let's say you had a two day class, upon completion most would never fire there weapon again, feeling they completed their training!
    Assuming these people are new to firearms, could you teach them all they need to know from safety,responsibility, hitting on target,knowing you are held accountable for every round that leaves your gun!!
    Most of us grew up shooting, there is nothing that will substitute time behind the trigger of whatever you are carrying.
    I think without a class a newbie is less likely to strap it on and forget about it,there more likely to do whatever it takes to make them confident in shooting and safety practices!! IMO,and that's all it is MO

I said a little more then that!! And as far as dising kalithey make it pretty easy!

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Wolf, I get to Mississippi frequently on business. Great bunch of guys and gals, unless you need something fast from the Yazoo county courthouse, and then it's like they never heard that question before. Let's agree to disagree, and I will go to the beach and get some abalone, and you can go catch or shoot whatever goes with eggs there.

I like bacon, and the sell it in stores!
    I see what your saying, but when you give a inch they(our govt) will take a mile. I think anything that lessens the restrictions on gun owners is a good thing. Our beach (what is left of it) is a couple hours away, and we don't have great white's patrolling or waves LOL

I see what you are saying too, but the second amendment is not clear (reference my earlier post) and otherwise nice people can become anti's because of the last thing they heard, what their friends think, etc. I have taken many friends to shoot who never held a gun before. They are usually excited to find that it is kind of fun and only dangerous when the operator is stupid, kind of like driving a car. A few have bought weapons because of the experience, all of them got confidence, one that I know of got his CCW.

You have to remember we are in a minority. I think we have to pussyfoot instead of being up in face. Things are better than they were 10 years ago, imo.

It's bacon for me too, abalone are out of season. Don't wear out your knee, and git to bed!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by braindonor View Post
    You have to remember we are in a minority. I think we have to pussyfoot instead of being up in face. Things are better than they were 10 years ago, imo.
    You must think me one of those Forest Gump simple types, and I don't agree with you on many points.

I don't agree that we are in the minority. In the past few decades, the loud minority has slowely eroded the rights of the silent majority. Either stand up for what you believe in, or sit down and lose your rights. Appeasement is never a wise course of action.

Demand your rights or lose them. The only middle ground is in the long term strategy, not thru appeasement.

Maybe us simple types don't have to think so much to understand what 2A means.
    Last edited by Scott; April 4th, 2008 at 08:35 AM. Reason: fixed quote tag

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Resurgam View Post
    Franklin said that a a government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. In that same respect, a government that "entitles" you to carry a weapon can easily deny you that right. Should that even be open to discussion?

Does anyone think that states requiring "classes" actually prevent one single idiot (or BG for that matter) from slipping a pistol in his waistline? If you care enough to go to that class you likely will spend at least some time learning about and how to use your weapon on your own.

I understand your line of reasoning, Kerbouchard, but I don't think we can afford to concede even one more principle in the hope that our masters will "give" us just a little bit more of our natural rights.
    +1 and a kudos
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

A military I.D. is all you need in VA. You have to be active duty though and domiciled in VA(orders here). M16 training counts as 'small arms training'.

I think that it is your responsibilty to seek out some form of education and training when you decide to carry a weapon. However, I don't beleive that the goverment has the right to decide what exactly that is. Probably doesn't make much sense, just the garble from my twisted mind.

Wht
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links