Massachusetts is a pain in the rear end

This is a discussion on Massachusetts is a pain in the rear end within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As some of you might know I am traveling to Maine this summer for vacation. I have applied for my Maine non-resident permit. I know ...

Thread: Massachusetts is a pain in the rear end

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Massachusetts is a pain in the rear end

As some of you might know I am traveling to Maine this summer for vacation. I have applied for my Maine non-resident permit. I know I have to travel thru some pretty nasty anti-gun states along the way. NJ, NY, CT, and MA. I have collected a nice page to take a long of each states statutes and laws regarding transportation of a handgun, in addition to the federal interstate transporation law. Each state until MA is rather standard unloaded, ammo seperate and locked up in the trunk... not so in MA

According to NRA-ILA:

"Caution--Massachusetts has enacted one of the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, imposing a mandatory one-year jail sentence for anyone illegally possessing a firearm, loaded or unloaded, "on his person or under his control in a vehicle." In all cases, all firearms must be transported as prescribed in the general rule"

I don't not want to carry for a week while in ME just because I can't transport my gun thru the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts for one hour... this is ridiculous. Don't federal transportation laws protect me here? Someone help...

2. Remove Ads

OK check with a Lawyer or Someone in Authority
    but

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post

standard unloaded, ammo separate and locked up in the trunk

"on his person or under his control in a vehicle." In all cases, all firearms must be transported as prescribed in the general rule"
    If you do the first part
    (standard unloaded, ammo separate and locked up in the trunk)

then its not on your person and not in your control

So the MA Law is in line with the Federal Law
    & you can transport it through MA Legally

thats just my $0.02

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I am not sure where you are coming from to get to Maine, but I was just looking at a map. May take you a few extra hours, but can you go around? The state ain't that big.

Also, as mentioned, if it is in the trunk, it is not on your person. I would carefully check the transportation regs and follow them to the letter. Then drive very, very, very, very, very carefully.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    anyone illegally possessing a firearm

As long as you are the legal owner of the firearm what's the problem?
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    I am not sure where you are coming from to get to Maine, but I was just looking at a map. May take you a few extra hours, but can you go around? The state ain't that big.

Also, as mentioned, if it is in the trunk, it is not on your person. I would carefully check the transportation regs and follow them to the letter. Then drive very, very, very, very, very carefully.

Going around would be too much out of our way... With two kids in the car we'd want to make haste getting there and not delay it any. I figure if we stop anywhere it'll be before we leave PA, once we get to CT, then again in NH. I plan to make haste thru NJ, NY and MA... goin around is out of the picture.

Driving Directions from Chambersburg, PA to Bangor, ME

Quote Originally Posted by flagflyfish View Post
    anyone illegally possessing a firearm

As long as you are the legal owner of the firearm what's the problem?
    I think I read it the wrong way... It really seemed to imply that having the gun even unloaded in the vehicle was bad juju.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    NRA-ILA is reporting on the in-state laws. The Federal Firearm Owners Protection Act (FOPA) supersedes state law for interstate transportation. Under FOPA, you may legally transport a firearm between states so long as you may legally possess the weapon at origin and destination; that the gun be unloaded and locked up separately from any ammunition (providing the state you are in dos not provide more for more generous arrangements); and provided you make only minimal stops (e.g., food and gas) in any such restrictive states.

So, before you get to NJ, stop, disarm, unload, and lock up the gun. When you see Massachusetts in your rearview mirror, hit a rest area and rearm where it's legal. That's it.

Here is the Wikipedia page for FOPA. The links at the bottom for ATF regs should take you to the actual law if you want to make certain. You want the "safe passage" provision. I would also expect NRA-ILA to have summary information on FOPA. Here, the section "FEDERAL LAW ON TRANSPORTATION OF FIREARMS ": NRA-ILA :: Federal Gun Laws.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffsmith View Post
    OK check with a Lawyer or Someone in Authority
    but

If you do the first part
    (standard unloaded, ammo separate and locked up in the trunk)

then its not on your person and not in your control

So the MA Law is in line with the Federal Law
    & you can transport it through MA Legally

The above is correct. I'm an LEO in Ma. You can transport firearms through Ma as long as it's unloaded and you keep the ammo separated from the firearm. The trunk is recommended along wit a locked container. You will have no problem with the above. Ma law is in line with Federal Law.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; April 3rd, 2008 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.

By the way a CT non-resident permit is fairly easy to obtain.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Is the Ma.law ok for hand guns and long guns?

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    FOPA is OK for both Handguns and Long Guns.

MA law has nothing to do with what the OP needs to do.

MA recognizes FOPA, so if you follow it to the letter you are good to go.

Carry a copy with you OFF A FEDERAL WEBSITE (not Wikipedia or some 3rd party site) in the very remote chance that you need to prove a point . . . however they don't strip search vehicles in MA due to a tail-light being out or someone speeding, so nobody will be the wiser if you follow the law and don't volunteer info you don't have to.

Fed "transit" covers you in MA. Unloaded, locked in a case in the trunk and you are okay. Transit also covers hi-cap mags, even those not legal in MA.

My 2c - if you do get stopped in MA, DO NOT DECLARE UNLESS THEY SPECIFICALLY ASK. And they wont.

Been driving around MA, NH, PA, NY all week, cant wait to get my arse back to Maine tomorrow night.

Links