Do You Tell Your Kids That You Carry?

This is a discussion on Do You Tell Your Kids That You Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Iíll give you a different prospective of one who was raised by a parent who always carried a firearm. I remember my dad taking me ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do You Tell Your Kids That You Carry?

Iíll give you a different prospective of one who was raised by a parent who always carried a firearm.

I remember my dad taking me out in the woods, and teaching me to shoot a 22 single shot rifle at a very early age; something around 3-4. Seeing him with a pistol laying in the car, or his desk at work, or on him, did not seem strange, and for the most part, I never thought anything about it. I remember when we would go out on the boat fishing, he would bring along a 30-30, and in later years, an AR-15; but again, I thought that was part of fishing.

I think the secret was that he did not make a big deal about it so what should I. And I really donít recall telling anyone, or bring it up to someone attention, again because it was no big deal.

2. Remove Ads

I have 3 kids, my girls are 22 and 24 and my son 28. I started carrying 1 1/2 years ago. The girls wanted to learn to shoot and went to the range with me, my son was carrying before me. Most close relatives do not know I carry, I just don't mention I'm carrying. I'ts nice to teach while they are young.
    ** NRA Life Member***

Colt Defender .45
    Kel-Tec .380

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.

VIP Member
    Of course the question is directed toward younger children knowing, and that could be a problem. Though we didn't have cc permits back then, I probably wouldn't have let mine know until I could trust their confidence and they fully understood.

Now my kids are well-grown........we CCW together.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    Iíll give you a different prospective of one who was raised by a parent who always carried a firearm.

I remember my dad taking me out in the woods, and teaching me to shoot a 22 single shot rifle at a very early age; something around 3-4. Seeing him with a pistol laying in the car, or his desk at work, or on him, did not seem strange, and for the most part, I never thought anything about it. I remember when we would go out on the boat fishing, he would bring along a 30-30, and in later years, an AR-15; but again, I thought that was part of fishing.

I think the secret was that he did not make a big deal about it so what should I. And I really donít recall telling anyone, or bring it up to someone attention, again because it was no big deal.
    +++1 I grew up the same way, and we respected the safety aspects very well too.

Funny thing too, we were always around guns. But.......I never climbed a tower to shoot at others, I never tried to shoot a classmate, I never robbed a store, etc? Actually I never even thought about doing something like that. What's happened?

Sorry to deviate a little but kids and guns are important issues to me.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

My kids are 4.5 and 2.5 years old. I am with them 100% of the time, so I don' have a choice, but to let them in. Also, I want to teach them that Mom having a gun is normal. They have been to the range and have seen me shoot, etc. Gun safety is a normal, everyday conversation in our home.

My daughter, the 4.5 year old is very sharp. I couldn't hid anything from her if I wanted to, and with guns, I definitely DON'T want to hide anything. Before our first venture out with my ccw, 'little Daisy' and I had a chat. This is how our conversation went:
    her: Mommy, why do you have a firegun?
    me: to protect myself and you and your brother
    her: from bad guys?
    me: yes.
    her: will you shoot them?
    me: If the try to hurt us, yes
    her: OK
    Apparently that is all she wanted to know.

The conversation continued with some teaching, because in public, I don't have an option to go to the bathroom alone....do anything alone, really. I carry appendix, so my gun would be impossible to hide from two sets of eyes, right at that level.

Here was the last part of our conversation
    me: Little Daisy, remember how we talked about how not everyone likes rats? (She has a pet rat, very nice pet, by the way)
    her: Nanny doesn't' like rats. But Uncle Gary does.
    me: Yes, that's right. Do we make Nanny play with the rat?
    her: No, because she scared of her.
    me: That's right. It's just the same with guns. Some people don't like them, and are even scared of them. That is why we don't ever talk about mommy's gun while we are at the store or with friends. OK?
    her: OK.

And that was it. There was one time a few weeks back where I was printing pretty badly at Kohls. 'Little Daisy' said she had to tell me a secret. So, I bent down, and she whispered "Mom, your firegun is poking out". It was pretty cool. She is well aware of my carry status, and I have taught her how to deal with it. I feel successful in my goal of making in normal for my kids to be aware I carry.

My son, the 2.5 yo, he is oblivious.
    "Let me control the textbooks, and I will control the state." - Adolf Hitler

Daughter - 27
    Son - 17
    2 granddaughters - 7 + 3
    son-in-law

My kids have been around guns all their life. Nothing to see dad carrying.

My son-in-law carries open 90% of the time (his choice, ex-MP)

My oldest granddaughter goes to EVERY gun show with me. We also hunt together (start them young!)

Carrying a gun in our family is no more exiting than carrying a wallet. It's never been an issue. Don't try to make it one. In our hood the ones without guns are the weird ones!

my youngest child is nearly 27, but my granddaughter is 5 and into everything. When she is here my and my wife's pistols are locked away. When she starts to ask about them, I'll let her see them (unloaded of course) and hold them and when she gets old enough to want to shoot them it's off to the range for us. For now there is not a reason for her to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post

Our 10 year knows my wife and I both carry. It's been a part of her whole life and we've never made a big deal out of it. She's never mentioned it to others.

My step daughter knows that I often carry a pistol in the car (I don't think she realizes that I don't often leave it in the car). My wife however is very unaware of my carry habits.

My step daughter was assaulted (before she was my stepchild) - it still bothers her a lot. I wanted her to know that I would do my best to protect her (since her father did not - it happened when he was passed out drunk).

Quote Originally Posted by mousehunter View Post
    My wife however is very unaware of my carry habits.
    Wow, how do you pull that off? That's some deep concealment.

I've carried their whole life. They thought everybody did. Now both my daughters have their own CCW's.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

My 20 yo. son, 15 and 13 yo. daughters know. The 5 yo. dosn't care but he's seen it sence he was born, but my sidearm stays on me or locked up and is a non-issue.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Why tell the children that you are carrying?

My kids have known all their lives that I carry. As soon as they were old enough I started teaching them gun safety and tried to get them involved in the shooting sports. My youngest is the only one to show a real interest though.

You must be my stunt double!

Quote Originally Posted by omle54 View Post
    my youngest child is nearly 27, but my granddaughter is 5 and into everything. When she is here my and my wife's pistols are locked away. When she starts to ask about them, I'll let her see them (unloaded of course) and hold them and when she gets old enough to want to shoot them it's off to the range for us. For now there is not a reason for her to ask.
    In answer to the original poster's question I find duct tape over the mouth works wonders. Actually my 5 yr. old granddaughter's father carries too. I wear mine even in the home so I am sure it will come up sometime. I like the "family secret" line until they are old enough to understand about guns.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links