Do You Tell Your Kids That You Carry? - Page 4

Do You Tell Your Kids That You Carry?

This is a discussion on Do You Tell Your Kids That You Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by cwblanco My opinion: You should demonstrate to a child at a very early age the dangers of firearms. Let them see the ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    My opinion: You should demonstrate to a child at a very early age the dangers of firearms. Let them see the results of shooting and hear the sound. Start training them early about safety. DO NOT TELL them that you carry. If you do, I assure you that the kindergarten teacher and everyone else in the world will know, and you will no longer be carrying concealed.
    When I was about 4 or 5 my dad took me to the range and asked if hes could take me in with ear protection so I can understand the porwe and danger of a gun. In case you all want to know I have incredible hearing... I wasn't scared for life either.

My kids, two and four, see that daddy has a gun everyday. I don't put anything on to cover up until we walk out the door, and then my cover garment comes off when we get home.

My four year old has made mention of it in public before, but I have always been able to play it off as being my cell phone or some other belt secured item and that usually ends the curiosity. I don't think that either of them are yet mature enough to explain much more than "don't touch daddy's toys".

My wife on the other hand knows that I carry, and even still she has asked me from time to time whether I was carrying or not.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    To my kids its like wearing underwear...always there. They do, however understand that not everybody carries a gun like Mom and Dad, and it is not a topic of discussion; it is a special deal that requires a permit. Consequently my eight year old has appointed himself lookout for accidentally losing concealability! He also knows that if I ever draw, he is to RUN AND HIDE.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

wj
    I never told my granddaughters (6&8) but they knew! " Grandpa, do you have your gun? " asked the 6 year old when we were out one evening. I asked her why? She responded that she was feeling afraid. I told her " Yes I do" and that we don't talk about it with others. I showed her my license and reminded her that we just don't tell others. So far, I don't think she has.

My daughter is now 19 but even when she was younger it just was never an issue to be brought up, as she would say to her friends, "doesn't every dad have a safe full of guns in his closet?" Just like when she was little and thought all dads had race cars in their garage. She freaked when she found out other kids don't spend every Saturday at the track in the pits.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

I grew up around unsecured guns, I suppose I was lucky to survive (smile). Now, with children of my own, I don't feel the same, all but my sidearm stay locked in the safe.
    2 & 4 year olds are amazing, they never miss a beat and rarely see me unarmed, so far have never asked at an inappropriate moment, I'm waiting for it and hope I can pull off a perfect response (I like the "no, we'll have to pay this time")

To the original topic, no, I don't tell them - they know. They used to ask if they can see it, and I let them, safely of course, tell them the deal, not so much lately.
    I can't imagine how much trouble it would be to hide it from them, let alone my wife.

I'm lucky to live in a gun friendly family, inlaws and all.

D Boone your are fortunate. The ironic thing about my situation is that I am pretty much a tree hugging liberal and my in-laws are right wingers, but they would freak if they knew that I carry 100% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    My opinion: You should demonstrate to a child at a very early age the dangers of firearms. Let them see the results of shooting and hear the sound. Start training them early about safety. I couldn't agree wth you more. DO NOT TELL them that you carry. If you do, I assure you that the kindergarten teacher and everyone else in the world will know, and you will no longer be carrying concealed.I disagree with you 100%.
    My son has been with me when shooting since before he could walk, he is now 5. He sees my gun(s) on a daily basis. He knows not to touch them when he sees them. I put it on every day with my belt, and he sees me do it a lot of the time. He thinks nothing of it, no more than a shoe or a hat, or a wallet, pocket knife or other accessory. When I wear OWB, I do not keep it covered when at home. He has made a comment at his school on one occassion that I know of that "my pappa has a gun", that was a couple of years ago, and he has not been kicked out of school, or I have not lost my license. No where in Texas laws does it state that if your kid says you have a gun, you loose your CHL.

As he has gotten older he understands more not to talk about it, and thinks less and less about it, since it is a common occurance for him to see guns. Now that he has his Red Ryder BB gun, in the gun cabinet locked up with the other guns, he is now part of the gun owner family.

Do not hide the fact that you have a gun or carry a gun from your family. If you do, it will be at the most in opportune time that the fact you have one comes out. You will have a stupid look on your face when the subject is brought up, trying to figure out what to say or explain yourself to others.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Slomo View Post
    . . . . I am pretty much a tree hugging liberal . . . .
    I'm sorry to hear that; I think they're working on a cure, though. Just hold on a little longer....

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links