Do You Tell Your Kids That You Carry?

This is a discussion on Do You Tell Your Kids That You Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a three-year old, an 11-month old baby & another baby due in November. I don't mind if they know at all, I just ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do You Tell Your Kids That You Carry?

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

Do You Tell Your Kids That You Carry?

I have a three-year old, an 11-month old baby & another baby due in November. I don't mind if they know at all, I just don't want my son (the three-year old) to go tell the clerk at Ace Hardware that "my Daddy has a gun!"

What do you guys do?

2. Remove Ads

I generally end up explaining that I'm licensed to carry a gun and then leave the store...lol. My 6 year old is still fascinated by the fact and no matter what we do he continues to just let it out every now and then. At least he hasn't said it in a bank yet and he is getting better.

I have two teenagers and a two year old. The teenagers went crazy and started telling everyone when I first got my CCW. I had to give them a pretty good lecture about it. Obviously the two year old doesn't understand it yet.

My HOPE is that he grows up in an environment where it's no more unusual than "daddy has a knife in his pocket"... just not worth mentioning.

Someone on here in a similar thread explained how he told his kid(s) to think of it like a "family secret"... and said that had worked pretty well for him.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    I have a three-year old, an 11-month old baby & another baby due in November. I don't mind if they know at all, I just don't want my son (the three-year old) to go tell the clerk at Ace Hardware that "my Daddy has a gun!"

What do you guys do?
    My opinion: You should demonstrate to a child at a very early age the dangers of firearms. Let them see the results of shooting and hear the sound. Start training them early about safety. DO NOT TELL them that you carry. If you do, I assure you that the kindergarten teacher and everyone else in the world will know, and you will no longer be carrying concealed.

Conrats to your growing family!

Two words sum it up for me: teachable moment.

My two boys are 10 and 8, little girl is 3 and 1 more girl on the way in July. My boys both shoot and are familiar with guns, gun safety, etc. As far as concealed carry, I have had permit for about 3 months now and my younger son has asked 'the question'. I explained it very clearly and also discussed the importance of the term concealed. I'm sure it will come up that he will 'share' my secret with friends but I doubt it will cause any issues.

I feel it is far more important to educated them rather than try and hide it. They need to know at an early age why we carry and what our rights of self protection are, the fact that the police have no duty to protect individuals, the fact that they will hear misleading and false information from teachers, the media and others about guns.

"Dad, why do you carry your gun with you all the time?" We'll little Johnny, what a great question, I am so glad you asked and here's why I carry a gun..."
    The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?' 'No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle.'

We have an 8 year old daughter and, believe it or not, she doesn't know.

My concern isn't so much that she'll spout off inappropriately in a store, but that at that age, something like "my dad carries a gun" is just too juicy not to share with her friends. If the friend then tells her parents, I'm concerned that my daughter could lose the ability to play with some of her buds if the parents were the type to be offended over such things. I just don't want to put her in a position like that at this point.

It's not going to be long though before we're gonna have to have the talk. Well, one talk at least, the other one mommy gets to have!

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    My 17 year old daughter knows.....my 9 year old daughter doesn't. The older one also knows about a couple my wife doesn't know about. But....I take her to the range, let her shoot them and I had to promise her my Beretta 21A when she gets her license ....it's all good!
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

ree
    I haven't yet told my son, who's almost 4. In general I'm pretty discrete about carrying. He's bumped it but never asked.

If he ever asks, "what's that?" I'll explain it all and start the education process in earnest using a lot of the recommendations about kids and guns at Cornered Cat. This will include discussion of how to be discrete. I'll try to disarm the curiosity so it seems eminently bland and normal and isn't something so exciting or cool that he can't help but blab about it, even though we'll reinforce the need to keep it to himself.

So far we've done basic safety education that includes guns (abbreviated version of the Eddie Eagle rules: don't touch, get an adult) along with other things like knives, pointing things, cleaning supplies, things that look like candy/meds found lying about, not opening the door for anyone but us, keeping the exterior doors locked, fire drills, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

My concern isn't so much that she'll spout off inappropriately in a store, but that at that age, something like "my dad carries a gun" is just too juicy not to share with her friends. If the friend then tells her parents, I'm concerned that my daughter could lose the ability to play with some of her buds if the parents were the type to be offended over such things. I just don't want to put her in a position like that at this point.
    I feel this way too. Last night I took my 8yo to Radio shack to get some stuff for a project. In the middle of a group of 4 people, he looks at me and says "Dad, did you bring your gun?"

One guy looks at me and asks if I'm a cop. I say no and he left it at that fortunately.

I guess it's just something you have to educate them about. I gave my son a good talking to in the car on the way home. I think the more exposure they have, the less likely they will be to spout off, but in the early stages, it is just a risk you take.

Cornered Cat- great site!

Quote Originally Posted by boardsurfer View Post
    I feel this way too. Last night I took my 8yo to Radio shack to get some stuff for a project. In the middle of a group of 4 people, he looks at me and says "Dad, did you bring your gun?"

One guy looks at me and asks if I'm a cop. I say no and he left it at that fortunately.
    I guess it's funny if it's not our kid!

I like the idea of a "teachable moment." We generally do not hide much from our kids and have started homeschooling our oldest. I think I will try to explain the importance of being discreet & also explain the importance of firearms when used properly.

Yup, my kids know (ages 15, 13, 9). I've also made it very clear that this is not a subject for 'cool' discussions at school, with friends, etc.

Don Corleone: Never let anyone outside the family know what you're thinking.
    Freedom ... must be fought for, protected, and handed on ... or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -- Ronald Reagan, 1967

Four boys here, ages 16, 9, 2 and 4 months.

Last year on a family outing, the 9 year old loudly pointed out a gunbuster sign. We had a very lengthy discussion in the car and it has not been an issue since.

I think that the more they see mom and dad armed, the better. However, along with firearms safety, we teach them to keep their mouth's shut when it comes to guns.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I have had the discussion with all four of my kids. They range from 7 - 12 in age. They all understand that it is something that we don't discuss with anyone outside our family. So far none of them has asked me in public about whether or not I'm carrying. The wife however is a different story.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links