Breaking news! GA Concealed Carry Expanded

This is a discussion on Breaking news! GA Concealed Carry Expanded within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mrhutch there's also a lot of creepy people who frequent kennesaw mountain park right around dark as my girlfriend and i are ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Breaking news! GA Concealed Carry Expanded

Quote Originally Posted by mrhutch View Post
    there's also a lot of creepy people who frequent kennesaw mountain park right around dark as my girlfriend and i are coming down the mountain from the after work walks she drags me on, too. this definitely makes a big difference.
    Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park is still off limits under federal regs.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    YES!

Great news...as soon as it's signed, I think my wife and I will visit GA on the Harley...
    Assuming it doesn't get vetoed (not very likely) it will go into effect July 1, 2008.

i voted, yes winning 87 to 12 percent.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

This Is Great

But we still need the GOV. to sign it, then it will be
    fantasic
    Last edited by duffydog; April 5th, 2008 at 07:46 PM. Reason: GOA NRA GCO

Victory In Summary - Press Release From Georgia Carry

"PRESS RELEASE
    Georgia General Assembly Passes Major Overhaul of Firearms Laws
    Largest change in Georgia firearms laws in 20 years expands rights of gun owners.
    Atlanta, April 4, 2008: GeorgiaCarry.org, Inc. (GCO) is proud to announce the passage of the
    most significant reform in Georgia’s firearms laws in 20 years. After being forced to a
    Conference Committee by the Georgia Senate in February, the fate of HB 89 was uncertain.
    After much work at the grassroots level by both GeorgiaCarry.org and Rep. Tim Bearden (R-68),
    an agreement was reached by the members of the Conference Committee from both
    chambers.
    The most notable changes in the bill are provisions allowing those in possession of a valid
    Georgia Firearms License (GFL) to carry firearms in restaurants serving alcohol where more than
    50% of revenue is derived from the sale of food, in State Parks, and on public transportation. The
    restrictions placed on these new provisions prohibit GFL holders from consuming alcoholic
    beverages while carrying a firearm in any establishment serving alcohol as well as from carrying
    in places prohibited under Federal law as it pertains to public transportation. Other changes
    include allowing those eligible to obtain a GFL the ability to possess a firearm anywhere in their
    motor vehicle, provisions relating to the timely issuance of GFL’s, and a straw purchase penalty
    for those purchasing firearms intended for disqualified persons.
    Despite strong opposition from gun control advocacy groups, these changes to the existing laws
    do nothing more than bring Georgia up to par with a majority of states as to where firearms may
    lawfully be carried. In relation to restaurants serving alcohol, State Parks, and public
    transportation, these changes make Georgia the 38th, 37th, and 44th state respectively.
    Rep. Tim Bearden, who originally authored HB 89 during the 2007 legislative session, was very
    quick to point out, “The changes we have made to the law affect only law abiding Georgians.
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, APRIL 4, 2008 MORE
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    Phone: (678) 983-4219
    PO Box 142924
    Fayetteville, GA 30214
    Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news GEORGIACARRY.ORG
    GEORGIACARRY.ORG PAGE 2
    Criminals have been carrying guns in Georgia's 'gun free' zones, anyway. Now law abiding
    Georgians will have the ability to protect themselves and their families, and I am proud of the
    work the General Assembly has done, and I am proud of GeorgiaCarry.Org for supporting the
    right to bear arms.”
    GCO President Ed Stone added the following, “When seconds count, help is only six minutes
    away. This is why today's legislation is so important for Georgia, which joins the vast majority of
    other states in repealing restrictive laws governing bearing arms in parks, restaurants, and on
    mass transit. GeorgiaCarry.org wishes to thank Rep. Bearden for authoring this bill and for
    pushing so hard for the right to bear arms in Georgia over the last couple of years.”
    GeorgiaCarry.org would like to recognize Rep. Charlice Byrd (R-20), Rep. Timothy Bearden
    (R-68), and Sen. John Douglas (R-17), who are all members of GeorgiaCarry.org. GCO extends
    a special thanks to these members of the General Assembly for their efforts this year in
    continuing the fight for the right to bear arms in Georgia.
    ###
    GeorgiaCarry.org (GCO) is a non-partisan, non-profit organization dedicated to the
    preservation and improvement of Georgia’s right to keep and bear arms. GCO’s mission is
    carried out through selected litigation, grassroots legislative efforts, and active participation with
    elected officials at all levels throughout Georgia."

Quote Originally Posted by mzmtg View Post
    Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park is still off limits under federal regs.
    d'oh!

by "off limits", does that still qualify as under DNR control, where you can only be arrested for criminal trespass if you are caught with a gun and then refuse to leave? cause if so, i'll take the risk, and will be willing to leave if necessary. haven't seen a ranger in that park in the 2 years i've been going, and they don't exactly do strip searches at the gate.

if not, then $#!+.

d'oh!

by "off limits", does that still qualify as under DNR control, where you can only be arrested for criminal trespass if you are caught with a gun and then refuse to leave? cause if so, i'll take the risk, and will be willing to leave if necessary. haven't seen a ranger in that park in the 2 years i've been going, and they don't exactly do strip searches at the gate.

if not, then $#!+.
    NO, it is a federal felony to carry at Kennesaw Mountain, same as any other National Park...for now.

This AJC article from last week explains how it will go down: http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/shared-blogs/ajc/polit...y_be_allowed_to.html

Why you soon may be allowed to carry concealed at Kennesaw Mountain
    Thursday, April 3, 2008, 04:06 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Friday is about to become a very big payday for gun rights advocates.

Here’s the deal:

Two bills will move, not one. H.B. 257, which now permits those with concealed weapons permits to carry in restaurants and on rail and bus systems, is but one chunk.

H.B. 89 will also move. This measure will carry the watered-down, guns-in-parking-lots language that the Senate, National Rifle Association and the Georgia Chamber of Commerce have wrestled with for two sessions, plus other goodies for the NRA.

Right now, chances of passage for both must be rated very good. Opposition is scarce. Joe Fleming, lobbyist for the Georgia chamber, says his group will be focused H.B. 89, to make sure the parking lots language doesn’t change.

Whether restaurant groups, MARTA and other transit systems raise objections — and raise them quickly enough — will determine whether H.B. 257 has tough sledding.

When it leaves a House-Senate conference committee tomorrow, H.B. 89 will be significantly changed. The parking-lot language, stripped out by the House, will be restored.

The language redefining “public gatherings” where firearms remain prohibited has been abandoned. You will not be permitted to carry a concealed weapon into church.

But the bill will:

— Require expedited treatment for concealed weapons permits by the probate court judges who issue them;

— Relax state restrictions on where firearms can be stored in vehicles;

— Make “straw” purchases of firearms illegal — a way of prohibiting lawsuits of the type filed by New York against gun dealers in Georgia, alleging they are sources for weapons that flow into states where buying a gun is much more difficult or time-consuming.

— And it will allow licensed concealed weapons to be carried in state parks and historical sites.

This last part is important, and here’s why:

U.S. Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne has said his department would suggest new regulations by the end of this month that would amount to the biggest relaxation of gun-toting rules in federal parks in more than a century.

Basically, he said that concealed weapons would be permitted — if the U.S. parks are located in states that permit carrying in their parks. So passage of H.B. 89 would insure that, someday soon, visitors to Kennesaw National Battlefield Park and the federal Chattahoochee River park would also be able to carry concealed.
    Forget all that stuff about concealed concealed concealed in the article. Open carry is still allowed with a GFL.

Forget all that stuff about concealed concealed concealed in the article. Open carry is still allowed with a GFL.
    now i'm just confused. so with a permit i can OPEN carry on kennesaw, or it's a felony to carry at all?

VIP Member
    Yes 87.15%
    No 12.85%

Good Going Georgia!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I just voted on the AJC poll. Also took the time to send a quick vote of thanks to Sen Douglas and Rep Bearden. And of course thanks to GCO for continuing to carry the flag for all of us!

now i'm just confused. so with a permit i can OPEN carry on kennesaw, or it's a felony to carry at all?
    Right now it is a felony to carry at Kennesaw Mountain in any way.

AFTER the Georgia law goes into effect (July 1) and AFTER the new federal regs go into effect (who knows when that will be)...THEN you can carry at Kennesaw Mountain any way you want.

Right now it is a felony to carry at Kennesaw Mountain in any way.

AFTER the Georgia law goes into effect (July 1) and AFTER the new federal regs go into effect (who knows when that will be)...THEN you can carry at Kennesaw Mountain any way you want.
    ok, thanks. gotcha.

OC ftw

at least until the good bill passes :)

at this time teh poll

Yes 87.73% 5928
    No 12.27% 829

We visit family in Georgia.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    How does the law differentiate between bars and restaurants? Just curious, as many States use differing methods for this.

Congrats tp Georgia residents on a big win!
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links