Law/car carry question

Law/car carry question

This is a discussion on Law/car carry question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a question The SC Gov signed a law that made it legal for 18yr olds to buy and own handguns. Well I am ...

Thread: Law/car carry question

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar

Law/car carry question

I have a question The SC Gov signed a law that made it legal for 18yr olds to buy and own handguns. Well I am 20 goin to be 21 in 3 weeks can I legally carry my pistol in my glovebox in my car?
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

I think it was legal to own them but not purchase them or buy ammunition for them. So, technically, you could have carried one that for instance you father gave you before this time. So I should think you could have always carried in the transport mode (Glovebox, console etc) if you could prove you had ownership. Before my Son turned 21 I gave him a handgun and made out a document for him to keep with it.

I will have to go see this law to see when it goes into effect. Normally they are written to go into effect when the governor signs them. But I would think that a check would be prudent.

My father owns the weapon.The law went in effect immediatly. So I can carry the weapon in my car correct just not on my person correct? with no legal things to worry about right. correct me if I am wrong.

I think your right. If all those things I previously had researched when I gave my Son his, are still the same. However, I would ask him to give you a document loaning or giving you the gun. I think that was prudent and not spelled out anywhere exactly, but it is what I did.

It also, sometimes take a little bit for a new law to filter down to the local LEO's so be careful as a few of them may not be aware of it yet.

Yes, not on your person as you don't have a CWP. Which the age for is still 21.

what does the doc need to state and should I carry a copy of the law until I get my permit?

As a SC police officer, I found today that many officers are not aware of the change in the law. As of last night, the state's law website had not been changed to reflect the change. It went into effect immediately when the governor signed it. For the time being, I would recommend printing a copy of a newspaper article on it and keeping it handy. There is no real system of notifying officers of the changes in laws at this time in SC.

You may lawfully carry a handgun in your car in the glovebox, center console, trunk, or a locked container. DO NOT put the gun under your seat or anywhere else in your car. Most cops are not "gun guys" and you will not have any fun with the consequences if they find a pistol in a place besides those specific places in your car. The glovebox or center console do not have to be locked and the pistol can be loaded. You MAY NOT carry the pistol on your person at any time outside of your property. It doesn't look like the SC CWP law is going to change with this change. You do not have to have any documentation as ownership or the fact that the gun is being loaned to you because anyone 18 & up can possess a handgun now (provided that they can otherwise lawfully possess a firearm).

One more note, in most other states you have to be 21 or older to possess a pistol. If you go out of state, leave the gun at home!!! It's even more hassle when you get arrested in another state.

If you are in the military, check with the MP's or Security Forces at your post/base on the rules for having a gun in your car inside the fence.

its legal up here too, I called the police station to ask

Of course this does not change the Federal law that states you must be 21 or older to purchase a handgun.

So the only thing it adds is legal possession of a handgun legally stored or legally carried and purchase between private individuals, rather than just by gift or loan.

Another poster has posted that the primary reason for this change was a gun wholesaler had employees under 21 and was told that this precluded them from working there handling guns. It seems odd to me that the AG would opinion that way. But he has some other odd (and wrong) opinions about guns and carry laws that defy all logic and law... so its not surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by XD 45 View Post
    what does the doc need to state and should I carry a copy of the law until I get my permit?
    As the previous LEO has stated, any form of document may be mute at this point. And it was never really required, it just prevented a hassle. I just made up a simple statement of fact. And signed it. And kept a copy and had him put a copy in his glove box. All that has perhaps become a moot point now. Probably.

Sponsored Links